What's new

Problem with IPv6 on USB WAN port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trisk

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently running Merlin 388.2_2 on an RT-AX88U, and I recently got a 2.5GbE USB dongle (RTL8156BG). I'm using the r8152 driver so the interface is eth8 instead of usb0, although from what I can tell from looking at the source the name doesn't really matter. The web interface seems to expect to configure USB modems even though the underlying implementation supports Ethernet connections as well. I've gotten it to mostly work, it is a little annoying that a bunch of services start before the USB 3 hotplug happens so I have to wait for the interface to appear and there's some inconsistent behaviour if I don't restart the wan service.

I am having a difficult time convincing rc to start odhcp6c on the right interface when the USB dongle is the active WAN port though. get_wan6face seems to decide the first WAN "unit" (resulting in the eth0 interface) is the right one even though the IPv4 stuff gets it right. The fact that there's a bunch of separate logic for determining the primary interface for IPv6 spread out across the shared routines is pretty weird. I've walked through the logic and checked all of the relevant nvram variables it seems to look at, like ipv61_service=dhcp6. I think I'll have to get a build with debug symbols next unless anyone has an idea.