What's new

IPv6 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want control over my networks. IPv6 takes away most of it. No IPv6 on my networks. Failed technology forced to Internet users.

My company (service provider) has been IPv6 enabled for a decade and we offer it all the time to our customers who have private IPs. Not a single one has opted for it. It will be a long time before it gets used for anything other than management IPs or closed networks like LTE. Afraid we're going to be seeing more and more CGNAT and various other flavors of translation. Heck I won't be surprised even when people start going IPv6 if they want to do NAT66 just to keep things similar to what they have now.
NPTv6 translation is common for those trying to limit nat use on ipv6.

Here, Comcast ships all their stuff v6 enabled. That caused issues for my mom's email and had to disable it. Not sure if Verizon (the other big one in my area) does or not since I don't use their hardware and they only just recently enabled v6 here. Comcast is using native v6 for STB and modem management, have been for a long time, that's why they were one of the first to deploy v6, so they could recover a lot of v4 for customer use.
If you have a Verizon router they are turning it on by default. It’s actually causing lots of issues as there’s an issue with Intel nics and the Verizon Nokia ONTs that cause ipv6 heavy sites to grind to a halt. Turning off checksum offloading in the client fixes the problem (or just turning off ipv6 at the router).
I'm also amazed how many people fall for the gigabit plan. Verizon offers it for like $20 more than the default 300 meg plan and people just take it. Comcast is now offering multi-gig in some areas. These people are probably using under 100 meg most of the time, and when they go above it, they wouldn't have noticed that it took a little longer to download a big file anyway.
I’m also amazed by this. I’m smarter than your average user (but not as smart as most on this forum) and I would never dream of paying more for Gigabit. 300/300 can easily stream 4K on all 3 of my tvs and have a boatload of bandwidth leftover. I’ll gladly wait a few extra minutes for my Xbox games to download and save ~$500 a year thank you very much.

Here, RT-AC86U log with latest stock Asuswrt 386_48260 immediately after IPv6 is enabled:

Code:
Oct 31 11:11:21 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Oct 31 11:11:21 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Oct 31 11:11:21 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep

I don't know what it is, but I don't like it. Testing and reporting. Keep it enabled or default disabled?

Also, reported 4 years ago:

I don't know what it is, but I don't like it. Testing and reporting. Keep it enabled or default disabled?
It`s just generic code that tries to load modules that, on some platforms is built in the kernel, and on some is an external module. They are compiled built-in the kernel on HND - see the "=y", versus "=m" here:

Code:
admin@stargate:/tmp/home/root# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep NF_ | grep IPV6
CONFIG_NF_SOCKET_IPV6=m
CONFIG_NF_TPROXY_IPV6=m
# CONFIG_NF_TABLES_IPV6 is not set
CONFIG_NF_DUP_IPV6=m
CONFIG_NF_REJECT_IPV6=y
CONFIG_NF_LOG_IPV6=y
CONFIG_NF_NAT_IPV6=y
CONFIG_NF_NAT_MASQUERADE_IPV6=y
# CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_IPV6HEADER is not set
CONFIG_NF_DEFRAG_IPV6=y

In 388 Asus replaced these modprobe calls by quiet ones so they no longer create syslog entries on failure.

This firmware was built for this specific model. Sounds like firmware code copy/paste issue.

This firmware was built for this specific model. Sounds like firmware code copy/paste issue.
Asuswrt uses the same codebase for all models. It's just build time options that determines code paths to use when compiling, but otherwise the code is the same for all routers. So, nothing copy/pasted there.

It's just build time options

Good someone figured out build time options in 4 years time. Makes me feel more comfortable now.

I think this is the point with which most people can agree here.
They are so purposefully deceptive in everything they do, in particular their billing practices. Every time it comes time to renew, the bill ALWAYS ends up being more than they promised. Their forums and BBB complaints are a fascinating read. Unfortunately, my only other option is CenturyLink and, speaking from experience with issues at my sons house, they only offer low speeds at this point and could be just as bad or worse than Comcast/Xfinity.

They are so purposefully deceptive in everything they do, in particular their billing practices. Every time it comes time to renew, the bill ALWAYS ends up being more than they promised. Their forums and BBB complaints are a fascinating read. Unfortunately, my only other option is CenturyLink and, speaking from experience with issues at my sons house, they only offer low speeds at this point and could be just as bad or worse than Comcast/Xfinity.

I just stream stuff so no cable TV, but in trying to cut costs for my parents and looking over their bill, they get charged $25 per month for broadcast TV and $30 per month for sports fee. The broadcast TV should be free, but since Comcast (and all cable companies) insists on overlaying their own advertisements over the original ones, the local stations charge them for the content. So Comcast is charging you for the right to show their own ads, which they then make money on, double dipping. And if you call and say you want no sports and please remove those channels and the fee, they will say they can't. So regardless of what package they advertise, it ends up being 50 to 100% higher price after all the fees and crap. Not to mention their advertisements are now about 40% of the show. Such BS.

I'm converting my mom to their streaming service, which allows you to avoid both the broadcast TV and Sports fees. It is $33 per month for local channels and $17 per month for the entertainment package which has the rest of the channels she watches. You have to have their "free" flex TV streaming box to get it. So got the box, went to sign up on the box, coming to $58 per month. After days of back and forth with them, they say once you add streaming TV to the box, it is now considered a TV box and no longer free, now $8 per month (same cost as the full sized, full featured cable box). So I say, ok, I'll buy it with the box (signing up is the only thing that you must do from the box), then return the box and use the Xfinity app on fire TV stick to watch it, since she already has one. They say the $8 fee will remain even if you return the box. OK, so send me the full featured X1 box instead of the flex box, since it supports the streaming app and has other features. You'll still get charged for the flex box, so now it will be $8 per month x2 or $16 per month, even though you only have one box.

I pointed them to the rate card which clearly shows the $50 per month price and says $8 more per month optional if you want to add on a TV box. They said the $8 is not optional even though the rate card calls it out separately as an optional add on. However, when you sign up for "regular" traditional cable, it gives you the option to either have a full X1 box for $8 per month or a flex streaming box for $0 per month, and additional flex boxes are only $5. They could not give me any reasonable explanation for that. Such a scam.

Unfortunately of all the streaming services that have the local channels she wants, $58 is still the cheapest (she's had DirecTV/ATT TV now for years and it has slowly climbed from like $35 per month to $80 per month, and all the others with local channels are $70 to $80). She lives in a valley in NH so while an antenna might pick up 1 or 2 local stations, they're not the ones she wants, and even then setting her up to switch back and forth between antenna and streaming is a non-starter.

Guess that's enough rant for one day, not like you can't find a billion of these similar rants all over the internet.

NPTv6 translation is common for those trying to limit nat use on ipv6.

Prefix translation on v4 is common too, it is still NAT. Whether you statically NAT hosts or subnets, technically it is trying to hold on to v4 behavior with v6. They tried several times to remove NAT completely from the v6 standard (other than some stuff for temporary transition use) but it kept making it back in, too much pushback.

Good someone figured out build time options in 4 years time. Makes me feel more comfortable now.
Nothing changed there, they just made the modprobe call no longer log if there's no module loaded.

This was a purely cosmetic thing, nothing was broken there. Just like for the longest time, Linux kernels would log an error loading the AGP driver even tho the platform on which it was being loaded didn't have an AGP slot.

Nothing changed there, they just made the modprobe call no longer log if there's no module loaded.

As I said I’m not a developer and messages like this in logs reduce my trust level significantly. Especially hidden kernel buggy messages visible to log server. This is a commercial product offered on higher than average price and more attention to details would be appreciated.

As I said I’m not a developer and messages like this in logs reduce my trust level significantly
Have you ever looked at an actual Linux-based system syslog? They are filled with that kind of messages as part of the kernel itself. Linux drivers tend to probe the hardware to determine which driver to load or features to enable, and will generate log entries in the absence of such features. This is the way Linux-based devices have behaved for decades. I think you are just trying to nitpick at something here just to support your dislike of IPv6.

Your Windows Event Viewer content will be just as verbose. This is the nature of logs, they are not meant to be used for daily monitoring, they are meant for looking at them when tracking down a specific issue. How many events with a severity of "Warning" are present in a daily log generated by a Windows desktop?

Have you ever looked at an actual Linux-based system syslog?

We are talking about consumer product with exposed system log in GUI. The logs spit error messages about IPv6. We were asked to test and report. I found it was reported 4 years back. I see it on the latest available firmware. What's the point in reporting if it's not getting fixed, cosmetic or not?

I think you are just trying to nitpick at something here just to support your dislike of IPv6.

Shooting back at someone else, actually. This was an example how test and report has no or little effect. I didn't know what the messages mean. They say something is missing in reject/route/log in IPv6 I just have enabled. What should I do? Unplug immediately and call Asus support or what?

We are talking about consumer product with exposed system log in GUI. The logs spit error messages about IPv6. We were asked to test and report. I found it was reported 4 years back. I see it on the latest available firmware. What's the point in reporting if it's not getting fixed, cosmetic or not?

A lot of those "errors" are not very important for most people - and Asus has been known to turn up debug from time to time...

There's a lot in AsusWRT that could be hidden without any impact to end-users...

Shooting back at someone else, actually. This was an example how test and report has no or little effect. I didn't know what the messages mean. They say something is missing in reject/route/log in IPv6 I just have enabled. What should I do? Unplug immediately and call Asus support or what?

I suspect I'm the target here - that's ok...

A lot of those "errors" are not very important for most people

Probably, but if such message arrives on your car's dashboard related to the adaptive cruise control you have just turned on... what you are going to do? Ignore it and continue or disable immediately and call the dealership? How do you know you're safe if you're not a programmer or engineer?

I suspect I'm the target here

Yes, because your only reason to keep IPv6 enabled when not needed is actually not a good one. Do you have another reason?

With IPv6, you still have control, nothing changes there

Seriously? I know my equipment. No IPv6 coming any time soon. The biggest reason why - not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.