What's new

IPv6 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe @nospamever has modem/router ISP device.

What WAN IP you are getting on your Asus router, @nospamever? Public or private?

Main GUI page:

View attachment 45099
My ISP facing device is a modem/router Technicolor TG789vac V2 (supplied by ISP). It is in router mode (maybe I should bridge it?). So my RT-AC86U is getting an IP issued by the Technicolor's DHCP. Is that a sub-optimal setup? By the way, one of the reason why I still keep using the Technicolor (over 5 years old) is it gave me the best down/upload speeds compared to 2 others I have tried. I churn my ISP every 6 months and no matter which ISP the Technicolor just auto-configure and works. So good that I bought another same Technicolor on FB for $10 as spare!

I have a 100/20 fibre broadband plan. My speed test taken 30secs ago.

1667085175056.png

Last edited:
My ISP facing device is a modem/router Technicolor TG789vac V2 (supplied by ISP). It is in router mode (maybe I should bridge it?). So my RT-AC86U is getting an IP issued by the Technicolor's DHCP. Is that a sub-optimal setup? By the way, one of the reason why I still keep using the Technicolor (over 5 years old) is it gave me the best down/upload speeds compared to 2 others I have tried. I churn my ISP every 6 months and no matter which ISP the Technicolor just auto-configure and works. So good that I bought another same Technicolor on FB for $10 as spare!

View attachment 45100
I would imagine bridging it would definitely be a different experience. You actually have several options at your finger tips.

You could bridge your ISP router(if it can truly bridge), your Asus router would then recieve its connection as if it were using a regular modem (minus the router configurations).

Another option is you could put your Asus router in Access Point Mode (means you lose out on all your RT-AC86U router features which is not a big deal if you don't intend to use any).

Another option is just to use Pass-thru mode with ipv6 and hope that your First router has a decent ipv6 firewall configuration.

In this scenario, I would tell you just to leave IPV6 turned off especially if you are not sure the path you wish to take and want to just leave it how it is currently set up.

Not sure why this is always the default answer...

If people don't enable/test IPv6, then bugs are not going to be found.

Why users as guinea pigs is always the default expectation? Whoever invented this Big Mac protocol is responsible for testing.

So my RT-AC86U is getting an IP issued by the Technicolor's DHCP. Is that a sub-optimal setup?

Nothing wrong with it. If you need port forwarding and you don't know what to do, come back here and we'll help you.

Not a science project - vendors need to get with the program.

Talk to the vendors then. We have waited for 20 years, no problem to wait for 20 more. Take your time. Let us know when ready.

I'm still waiting for a real IPv6 benefit example when public IPv4 address is available. Then I may take a look.

When a user with little networking knowledge is asking a question I prefer to give easy to do, tested and working solution. I don't ask people to test features they don't need. You sound like not very sure current IPv6 implementation is working well. What is there left to test so much? IPv6 draft is from 1998, become Internet standard in 2017. Not enough testing was done in 19 years? For me - indication someone had no clear idea what is he doing.

Congratulations on the code five years after IPv6 become Internet standard. :)

AsusWRT is a bit broken here...

If it's broken, can you help in fixing it? This is going to be real help for the community. Asking users to test and report doesn't work. First, they don't know how/what to test; second, they don't know how/who to report to. You also have to give better reasons to enable IPv6 than test and report.

If it's broken, can you help in fixing it? This is going to be real help for the community. Asking users to test and report doesn't work. First, they don't know how/what to test; second, they don't know how/who to report to. You also have to give better reasons to enable IPv6 than test and report.

Hey we finally agree on something - IPV6 currently provides no real benefit (except for users in countries where IPv6 is the only thing available or who are behind CGNAT) and since people are so used to having a hide NAT (which provides a pretty good basic layer of security), simply switching it on for no reason other than "I can" is not the route to take. Not that a a hide NAT should be your only layer of security, especially if you have UPNP enabled, but it is a good "if all else fails" measure.

I believe some game consoles are more reliant on IPV6 than average computers, but my understanding is they will use 6 in 4 tunnels if needed. So there may be a benefit to going native on those, not sure. My last game console was the original Nintendo.

I work with corporate firewalls every day and even with millions of available registered IPs (yes we're the a-holes who are hoarding all the IPv4 addresses) NAT/PAT is still standard operating procedure. Security isn't the only reason but it is one of them.

People who understand IPv6, the implications and additional security requirements, etc absolutely should toy with it. Those who don't, should wait until they have a good reason to use it, then do the necessary research and asking before doing anything with it.

I'm a network engineer, my ISP supports IPv6 (as of the last year or so), and other than flipping it on to see if they had added it yet then turning it back off, I don't use it. I had a Hurricane Electric IPV6 tunnel years ago to toy with it, but shut that down when I had gotten my fill.

Once corporate and ISP get it fully figured out, only then would I expect SOHO and home routers like ASUS to get a good solid implementation (after a few revisions).

Not sure why this is always the default answer...

If people don't enable/test IPv6, then bugs are not going to be found.

For someone who admits they only have basic knowledge and doesn't understand the implications of native vs passthrough, it should be the default answer.

View attachment 45100

If you are running dual chained routers then passthrough mode is your only option on the asus, however you need to ensure that Technicolor router has a decent firewall in it. But if you don't have a specific need for IPv6, just leave it off.

If their router supports bridge, personally I prefer that (either that or using the asus as an AP if their router has a decent firewall etc) but for most people having dual routers it won't matter much, if at all. Technically it provides a bit more security.

If you are running dual chained routers then passthrough mode is your only option on the asus, however you need to ensure that Technicolor router has a decent firewall in it. But if you don't have a specific need for IPv6, just leave it off.

If their router supports bridge, personally I prefer that (either that or using the asus as an AP if their router has a decent firewall etc) but for most people having dual routers it won't matter much, if at all. Technically it provides a bit more security.
I think the biggest issue I ever ran into using dual router (double nat) configuration is a few clients did not want to play right with properly maintaining their outbound/inbound traffic. To solve the issue, I had to place the second router in the DMZ of the first which is counter to the protection allotted by double firewalls.

few clients did not want to play right with properly maintaining their outbound/inbound traffic

I've never seen this happening. Doesn't sound like client, but router issue. Most likely the one the client is connected to.

And something for @nospamever before I forget and he hits the issue - UPnP doesn't work in double NAT in Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2 firmware. It sees the private WAN IP and terminates the connection. Works fine in 386.5_2 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.