What's new

IPv6 Setup with Comcast/Xfinity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

what happens when you try EmeraldDeer's suggestion - no change ?
I have very little experience running commands like that on these routers. I do have Putty installed and I know how to login to the router but beyond that, I'll need some hand-holding.

I'm at "tmp/home/root#", would I just input those commands and press enter?

The below is what I see in the system log when running those commands,

Code:
Feb 22 16:45:00 inadyn[1503]: Certificate verification error:num=10:certificate has expired:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com
Feb 22 16:45:02 inadyn[1503]: Error response from DDNS server, exiting!
Feb 22 16:45:02 inadyn[1503]: Error code 48: DDNS server response not OK
Feb 22 16:45:21 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
Feb 22 16:45:23 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Feb 22 16:45:34 crond[987]: time disparity of 948700 minutes detected
Feb 22 16:45:40 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
Feb 22 16:45:42 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

yes

with the caveat one line at a time
Okay, I did them all at once. I'll give it another try.

Code:
Feb 22 17:26:57 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1
Feb 22 17:26:57 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2019-12-13 19:43:16 EST)
Feb 22 17:27:05 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Feb 22 17:27:15 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

I don't know what any of that means or if it's even related to my problem.

By the way, I do appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm on my way out and won't be back for several hours, I didn't want anyone to think I just decided to abandon the issue.:)

Last edited:

LAN IPv6 Address
2601:xxxx:
LAN Prefix Length
LAN IPv6 Prefix
2601:xxxx:

And where in the UI would I find that?

Okay, there's nothing in those fields, it's blank.

by the time you get back there will be some Asus-Merlin gurus pop in here for assistance. :) I still think its a firmware issue but maybe they will have another idea. best of luck to you.

So I set the type of IPv6 to Tunnel 6to4 and that shows that I pass the IPv6 test sites. I don't know what that means but I suspect it's not as desirable as using Native.

Be advised using IPv6 in passthrough is a bad idea. Passthrough does just that it passes right through with no active firewall so your v6 connections are wide open to the world. Be careful.
The problem is, that several huge providers don't support IPv6 Prefix Delegation, yet (e.g. like Telekom, T-DSL). Any idea how to improve security on that connections?

Any info on how to setup IPv6 with comcast/xfinity? Connection type ative, passthrough, etc? What about settings for DNS?

Thanks

I had some initial issues with IPV6 but the issues that were firmware/software were addressed and the ones that were user error also. I run a couple of servers that need IPV6 up and down (or in and out as you like) and they have been fine since.

I'm attaching my IPV6 config page. Ignore the DNS setting as I run a Pi-hole. Give this a shot and see what you get.

IPV6.png

I had some initial issues with IPV6 but the issues that were firmware/software were addressed and the ones that were user error also. I run a couple of servers that need IPV6 up and down (or in and out as you like) and they have been fine since.

I'm attaching my IPV6 config page. Ignore the DNS setting as I run a Pi-hole. Give this a shot and see what you get.

View attachment 21848

I noticed you set "Auto Configuration Setting" to STATEFUL. I believe it auto sets to STATELESS. What does this setting do and why did you set it to Stateful instead of the default Stateless?

Thanks

I noticed you set "Auto Configuration Setting" to STATEFUL. I believe it auto sets to STATELESS. What does this setting do and why did you set it to Stateful instead of the default Stateless?

Thanks

The why has to do with wanting to have IPV6 routed to the proper server/devices on my LAN and because IPV6 did not work reliably without it. For example, I needed to have ports forwarded but that is a bit tricky if the address can change. The what is best explained here:

Stateful configuration
The stateful version of DHCPv6 is pretty much the same as for IPv4. Your DHCPv6 server will assign IPv6 addresses to all DHCPv6 clients and it will keep track of the bindings. In short, the DHCPv6 servers knows exactly what IPv6 address has been assigned to what host.

Stateless configuration
Stateless works a bit different. The DHCPv6 server does not assign IPv6 addresses to the DHCPv6 clients, this is done through "autoconfiguration." The DHCPv6 server is only used to assign information that autoconfiguration doesn’t….stuff like a domain-name, multiple DNS servers and all the other options that DHCP has to offer.

More in depth info is at this link: https://www.ictshore.com/free-ccna-course/dhcpv6-basics/
Scroll down to DHCPv6 Explained

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!