What's new

IPv6 using DHCP-PD with 178.15 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
Having asked Comcast whether we had IPv6 deployed or not in my area, that they said that yes, they had deployed it here. So I asked them for the information requested in the Asus IPv6 FAQ, and they said to just set IPv6 for "DHCP-PD" and then to reboot the router.

So I did that, and power-cycled the router. When it came back up, it was not connected to the internet. So I tried the "Quick Internet Setup", and that didn't connect, either. And nothing interesting in the log after it tried to connect using DHCP-PD.

I gather that IPv6 DHCP-PD should pretty much provision itself, and should just work from what I've read. Has anyone else used this with any success? Is there anything else that I need to do? Anything diagnostic that I can do to find out where the problem is? Is there anything that I should be seeing in the log?

Thanks for any help with this one, I haven't done this before and don't have much information on what I should do or how the router should act.

I'm from the WPB,Fl area on comcast and I can verify that they are using IPV6
I had to get another cm though
I switched it out for a arris wbm760
I enabled it but it takes about a hour for it to come up on the router interface

What modem are you using ?

I'm using an Arris TM722g modem. It supports IPv6, DOCSIS 3, and also has the telephony piece. There's nothing there that's user serviceable *smile*, as far as I know.

Now that you mention it, I do see this table in the cable modem status page:

DHCP Attempts to obtain CM IP Address:
IPv4 Attempt(s) 10
IPv6 Attempt(s) 0

Maybe I need to reset my cable modem as well, then, after rebooting my router...

I'm from the WPB,Fl area on comcast and I can verify that they are using IPV6
I had to get another cm though
I switched it out for a arris wbm760
I enabled it but it takes about a hour for it to come up on the router interface

I'm not sure what you mean by "it takes an hour to come up"? Do you mean that your router wasn't able to connect until an hour after you switched to IPv6 DHCP-PD mode? Or that the modem took an hour to provide IPv6 to your router, but your router came up on it immediately then when you enabled IPv6 in the router?

My modem should be providing IPv6 to the router now, since it supports IPv6, and Comcast says that it's there now.

I mean after I enabled it in the router it took about that long for the
numbers to appear on the screen

I mean after I enabled it in the router it took about that long for the
numbers to appear on the screen

Okay, maybe I'm just too impatient then. I didn't think about time as a part of the scenario. I'll try again when I'll be away from the computer for an hour *smile*. Maybe that'll turn the trick.

Thanks, good information to have.

Okay, gave it over 2 hours, nothing. I'm thinking that Comcast exaggerated when they said that IPv6 is working in our area now.

So it goes.

Okay, finally tried my computer connected directly to the modem, and what do you know? Got IPv6 directly on my computer via my cable modem using the IPv6 tests.

So there's something going on with my router, I guess. Not sure what to try, maybe flashing Asus 178 firmware instead of Merlin. Or be really daring and try Asus 220.

But good to know that I have IPv6 at my modem, anyways, now just need to get the router to work with it.

Interesting. So I just flashed my router to firmware .220, enabled "Native with DHCP-PD" for IPv6, and rebooted the router, and it came back with the IPv6 stuff filled in.

It still wasn't doing IPv6 DNS, though. Apparently checking "get DNS servers automatically" setting wasn't good enough. So I filled in the addresses of the Google IPv6 DNS servers in the IPv6 router configuration, and now it all looks good.

Interesting, I had read that the .178 firmware had worked for others with IPv6, but apparently there was something wrong here.

A lot of changes related to IPv6 are in build 220 (most of it related to 6rd, but other IPv6 stuff got improved as well).

A lot of changes related to IPv6 are in build 220 (most of it related to 6rd, but other IPv6 stuff got improved as well).

Yes, it is working really well...passed all the online tests that I can find, including port scans, etc. Very nice.