What's new

Is it worth having a 2.5 Gbps switch at all ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
If only my current router has a one 2.5 Gbps port I believe, Asus RT-AX86. Plus I have one device that has a 2.5 Gbps network card and port.

Guessing no but wanted to make sure.

I do download on the device with the 2.5 Gbps network card and port on steam at max speed sometimes while transferring other files over to the NAS.

I have the 2.5 gig capable Surfboard modem, and connect to the Asus AX86U 2.5 port... and it works flawlessly. I pay for gig but test up to 1.5 gig usually around 1.3 ish gig, so the 2.5 ports cover the speed over 1 gig for less wifi drop by squeezing 100-300 megs more outta it with all my AX devices on 160hz...then I use the other modem standard gig port out to my 8 port switch, that hardwires my whole home, where I have 2 Xbox Series X systems and some one X systems. 🤗🤷‍♂️. They test anywhere from 890-960...I'm the idiot that would go buy a 2.5 switch, to try and get them to 1000:p

Again, all of this help as I pay for gig and test at the modem anywhere from 1.2-1.5 gig. Wanna squeeze every ounce of speed.

Last edited:
If only my current router has a one 2.5 Gbps port I believe, Asus RT-AX86. Plus I have one device that has a 2.5 Gbps network card and port.

Guessing no but wanted to make sure.

I do download on the device with the 2.5 Gbps network card and port on steam at max speed sometimes while transferring other files over to the NAS.
It's up to you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!