What's new

Is there a budget L3 switch (up to 350$) that could act as DHCP server, do more than 240 static ip leases for each of the vlans (I need 2 vlan)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

teochris

New Around Here
Hello to all,

I need to use an L3 Switch as an DHCP server for 2 VLANs (at the moment I need it only for one Vlan), I also need to bind more than 240 Static IPs to certain macs, I also need Mac Filtering so only some mac addresses can access the internet through my router.
So can you tell me if there are budget L3 switches that can perform these actions for me, when I say budget I mean from 150$ up to 350$

Can some one help me and point to me such L3 Switches?

Best regards

Are you glued to the idea of a L3 switch? What about using a X86 FW running pfSense, OPNSense, SophosXG, etc with multiple interfaces off to dumb switches?

I'm not 100% sure if the SophosXG can do MAC filtering...I haven't tried. Although if you are binding specific IPs to specific MACs, you could easily use IP filtering at that point.

Hello thanks form your proposition, excuse me but I do not know what is a X86 FW, do you mean a PC running these applications pfSense, OPNSense, SophosXG ? I need an 24 port switch and it also has others useful lan controlling functions so yes I prefer it from adding an extra pc to my lan

I am not sure about the limit on Cisco small business L3 switch as far as 240 IP static IP addresses. You say you need more than 240 IP addresses. But how many more than 240 per VLAN?

I have never tired create that many static IPs.

I just looked in the Cisco manual for the Cisco small business 350 switches. I don't see any limits mentioned.

The DHCPv4 server allocates IPv4 addresses from a user-defined pool of IPv4 addresses. These can be in the following modes:
• Static Allocation—The hardware address or client identifier of a host is manually mapped to an IP address. This is done in the Static Hosts page.
• Dynamic Allocation—A client obtains a leased IP address for a specified period of time (that can be infinite). If the DHCP client does not renew the allocated IP Address, the IP address is revoked at the end of this period, and the client must request another IP address. This is done in the Network Pool page.

If you are talking real static IP addresses there are no entries in DHCP they are just hard coded IP addresses to devices which will work.
If you are talking reservations where you are assigning static IP addresses in DHCP then I don't see any limits in the manual.
I assume you mean 1 IP per MAC.

Last edited:
I am not sure about the limit on Cisco small business L3 switch as far as 240 IP static IP addresses. You say you need more than 240 IP addresses. But how many more than 240 per VLAN?

I have never tired create that many static IPs.

I just looked in the Cisco manual for the Cisco small business 350 switches. I don't see any limits mentioned.

The DHCPv4 server allocates IPv4 addresses from a user-defined pool of IPv4 addresses. These can be in the following modes:
• Static Allocation—The hardware address or client identifier of a host is manually mapped to an IP address. This is done in the Static Hosts page.
• Dynamic Allocation—A client obtains a leased IP address for a specified period of time (that can be infinite). If the DHCP client does not renew the allocated IP Address, the IP address is revoked at the end of this period, and the client must request another IP address. This is done in the Network Pool page.

If you are talking real static IP addresses there are no entries in DHCP they are just hard coded IP addresses to devices which will work.
If you are talking reservations where you are assigning static IP addresses in DHCP then I don't see any limits in the manual.
I assume you mean 1 IP per MAC.

Thanks for your proposition it seems a nice l3 switch with the needed capabilities and I will consider it - I assume you are talking for this switch https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/suppo...poe-managed-switch-gigabit-uplinks/model.html

I am talking about reservations where they are assigned in static IP addresses in DHCP - in IP per device - they are mostly devices that can not have hard coded IPs

Thanks for your proposition it seems a nice l3 switch with the needed capabilities and I will consider it - I assume you are talking for this switch https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/suppo...poe-managed-switch-gigabit-uplinks/model.html

I am talking about reservations where they are assigned in static IP addresses in DHCP - in IP per device - they are mostly devices that cannot have hard coded IPs

The Cisco SG300-24P is end of sale so you can only buy it used. The Cisco SG350-24P would have replaced it. A new line of Cisco switches came out this month, the Cisco CBS350-24P switches. There is also a Cisco CBS250 line of switches which will be cheaper. The Cisco CBS switches are replacing the Cisco SG switches. There will be some good deals on Cisco SG switches while they last.

The big POE+ switches have loud fans. I buy a small POE+ switch to run wireless and stuff off of and run my L3 switch as my core with the POE+ hung off of the core switch. If you need more than 1 gig uplink you can use a LAG or buy switches with 10 gig uplinks and they would be the Cisco SG350X-24 switches. The Cisco SG350X switches cost more money. Cisco also makes 10 gig switches for the small business line which are Cisco SX350X switches which are all 10 gig ports and they will cost the most. It just depends is this a business or home and what your budget is.

I am currently running a Cisco SG350-10P I bought used and it is a nice POE+ switch with no fans. You could attach the SG350-10P to a core SG350-24 L3 switch for a system without fans. I have not used the new line of Cisco CBS switches but will in the future.

Last edited:
The Cisco SG300-24P is end of sale so you can only buy it used. The Cisco SG350-24P would have replaced it. A new line of Cisco switches came out this month, the Cisco CBS350-24P switches. There is also a Cisco CBS250 line of switches which will be cheaper. The Cisco CBS switches are replacing the Cisco SG switches. There will be some good deals on Cisco SG switches while they last.

The big POE+ switches have loud fans. I buy a small POE+ switch to run wireless and stuff off of and run my L3 switch as my core with the POE+ hung off of the core switch. If you need more than 1 gig uplink you can use a LAG or buy switches with 10 gig uplinks and they would be the Cisco SG350X-24 switches. The Cisco SG350X switches cost more money. Cisco also makes 10 gig switches for the small business line which are Cisco SX350X switches which are all 10 gig ports and they will cost the most. It just depends is this a business or home and what your budget is.

I am currently running a Cisco SG350-10P I bought used and it is a nice POE+ switch with no fans. You could attach the SG350-10P to a core SG350-24 L3 switch for a system without fans. I have not used the new line of Cisco CBS switches but will in the future.
Hello again I think if the CBS250 has dhcp server and mac filtering is one from the l3 switches than I am going to choose from

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!