What's new

Is there a reliable way to restore dhcp reservations on new asus?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Axxel6307

Occasional Visitor
I've read that the standard backup and restore from old to new router is not recommended. Wondering though about just doing the dhcp names and addresses. I've got quite a few.

Going from rtac68u to 86u.

Thanks

Over SSH:

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

Keep a copy of the output.

Then on the new router:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="saved data from the other router"
nvram commit

Note that the RT-AC86U imposes size limitations, so if you had a very long list, you might not be able to import them all on the RT-AC86U.

Interesting to read this as I was thinking the same. However I have never connected to my router using SSH. Any other tips on doing this?

Interesting to read this as I was thinking the same. However I have never connected to my router using SSH. Any other tips on doing this?

Enable SSH on the router, then download and install an SSH client such as Xshell or Putty.

So once I'm connected you just start typing the above commands? What about your WiFi SSD etc? Can they be backed up this way? Why have the backup/restore option in the GUI if it's not worth using?

Over SSH:

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

Keep a copy of the output.

Then on the new router:

Code:
nvram commit

Note that the RT-AC86U imposes size limitations, so if you had a very long list, you might not be able to import them all on the RT-AC86U.
Thanks!

I actually just created an account here to ask the same question since I have an AC86U arriving today to replace my AC68P which will be an AP for extending wireless coverage. This is exactly what I needed to port over my DHCP reservations. Thanks!

Why have the backup/restore option in the GUI if it's not worth using?
It's for backing up and restoring settings for that specific device. It isn't designed to migrate settings from one device to another, not even if they are the same model (because the backup file contains low-level settings that are unique to that device).

So if I'm flashing the firmware is it good practise to reset and then restore from a backup and then do the above for dhcp reservations?

So if I'm flashing the firmware is it good practise to reset and then restore from a backup and then do the above for dhcp reservations?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/
Q: If I do a factory default reset, can I then restore my saved settings back?
A: The reason behind doing a factory default reset is so you can start with the default settings as set by your current firmware. Restoring your saved settings will just put back the same (potentially incorrect) settings that were there before the reset. You HAVE to manually reconfigure everything afterward.

Q: Then what can I use these saved settings for?
A: Restoring to a known good configuration after issues appeared. Or alternating between different configurations. Or restoring settings after an accidental factory default reset. They do serve a need when used for the right reason.

(Bringing back this old thread rather than openig a new one...)

Is anyone aware of a way to feed the text in the line

... via a text file?

As mentioned by RMerlin back then, it could be that the list cannot be restored completely because the amount of text that can be supplied via that command is limited. However, I don't really believe that this limitation comes from the router, but is a limitation of the maximum number of characters that can be entered into one telnet/ssh command. I don't think that telnet/putty "knows" of any limitation of the server it is connected to. When I copy/paste the text into either telnet or putty command windows, it's being truncated upon pasting already, and it's truncated at exactly the same character in both cases. Also, my router is a completely different model (XT8).

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks alot! The linked thread also includes a solution for that issue.

Edit - unfortunately it doesn't, at least not for me, because the nvram-save script works in Asuswrt-Merlin only.

Last edited: