1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Is there a reliable way to restore dhcp reservations on new asus?

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Axxel6307, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Axxel6307

Axxel6307 Occasional Visitor

I've read that the standard backup and restore from old to new router is not recommended. Wondering though about just doing the dhcp names and addresses. I've got quite a few.

Going from rtac68u to 86u.

Thanks

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Over SSH:

Code:
    nvram get dhcp_staticlist

Keep a copy of the output.

Then on the new router:

Code:
    nvram set dhcp_staticlist="saved data from the other router"
    nvram commit

Note that the RT-AC86U imposes size limitations, so if you had a very long list, you might not be able to import them all on the RT-AC86U.

Axxel6307 likes this.
  3. Smokie

Smokie Occasional Visitor

Interesting to read this as I was thinking the same. However I have never connected to my router using SSH. Any other tips on doing this?

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Enable SSH on the router, then download and install an SSH client such as Xshell or Putty.

Smokie likes this.
  5. Smokie

So once I'm connected you just start typing the above commands? What about your WiFi SSD etc? Can they be backed up this way? Why have the backup/restore option in the GUI if it's not worth using?

6. Axxel6307

Axxel6307 Occasional Visitor

Thanks!

7. NCDeveloper

NCDeveloper New Around Here

I actually just created an account here to ask the same question since I have an AC86U arriving today to replace my AC68P which will be an AP for extending wireless coverage. This is exactly what I needed to port over my DHCP reservations. Thanks!

8. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

It's for backing up and restoring settings for that specific device. It isn't designed to migrate settings from one device to another, not even if they are the same model (because the backup file contains low-level settings that are unique to that device).

Smokie likes this.
  9. Smokie

So if I'm flashing the firmware is it good practise to reset and then restore from a backup and then do the above for dhcp reservations?

10. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/

Smokie likes this.