What's new

Is there a way to make system log bigger

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
I'd like to have a longer time span for messages in the router system log, if possible. Is there a way to allow more messages to be held in the log, that is, to make it larger? I know that I could save the messages every day, or most likely create a cron job that would do that, but I'm wondering if there isn't a way simply to make the memory space allocated for the log larger so that the log could contain messages from more days?

Thanks.

Logs are saved in RAM, so they can't be kept for too long, or the router will run out of memory and crash. Currently 256 KB are being kept.

You could have a services-start script that would stop syslogd, and re-start it with -s 1024 instead of -s 256 (to keep 1MB worth of log entries). You could also then store it elsewhere, like on a USB disk.

Logs are saved in RAM, so they can't be kept for too long, or the router will run out of memory and crash. Currently 256 KB are being kept.

You could have a services-start script that would stop syslogd, and re-start it with -s 1024 instead of -s 256 (to keep 1MB worth of log entries). You could also then store it elsewhere, like on a USB disk.

Hmmm...yes, I have an old 1GB flash drive that I could use for that, if it was fast enough to keep up.

I'm looking for the services startup scripts, and not finding them in the router OS. Not used to embedded linux, but am pleased see a lot of the usual commands available, and being able to use ssh instead of telnet is nice, too. Be nice to have a shell with command history, but I'm not seeing that.

Anyways, if you could point me to where the services startup scripts are on the router filesystem hierarchy, that would be very helpful. Don't see /etc/init.d *smile*...in fact, a little surprised to see /etc under /tmp *smile*.

Thanks.

Hmmm...yes, I have an old 1GB flash drive that I could use for that, if it was fast enough to keep up.

I'm looking for the services startup scripts, and not finding them in the router OS. Not used to embedded linux, but am pleased see a lot of the usual commands available, and being able to use ssh instead of telnet is nice, too. Be nice to have a shell with command history, but I'm not seeing that.

Anyways, if you could point me to where the services startup scripts are on the router filesystem hierarchy, that would be very helpful. Don't see /etc/init.d *smile*...in fact, a little surprised to see /etc under /tmp *smile*.

Thanks.

They're listed in my firmware's README, under "User scripts".

There's no persistent shell command history because the home directory resides in the read-only flash.

They're listed in my firmware's README, under "User scripts".

There's no persistent shell command history because the home directory resides in the read-only flash.

Ah, okay, then the normal system startup line for syslogd is most likely in the read-only memory, too, and can't be modified. Not too surprising, I guess.

Thanks.

Actually, I see Asus has made the maximum log size configurable. Set the nvram value "log_size" to the maximum size you want the log to be (in KB). It defaults to 256 (For 256 KB).

nvram set log_size=1024
nvram commit

Actually, I see Asus has made the maximum log size configurable. Set the nvram value "log_size" to the maximum size you want the log to be (in KB). It defaults to 256 (For 256 KB).

Ah, very cool, sounds persistent, being in the nvram and all.

Thanks much.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!