What's new

Is .w the correct file format for Merlin FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonte

New Around Here
I've just bought a RT-AC68U and I'm trying to install the Merlin FW to get the most out of my router.

When unzipping the download I get a file called RT-AC86U_382.1_0_cferom_ubi.w, which seems odd to me since the FW from Asus ends with .trx (FW_RT_AC68U_300438218881.trx)

I can't load the .w-file to the router, I just get an error message when trying to install.

Am I doing something wrong or does my computer unzip the Merlin download incorrectly somehow? The Read me.txt file in the same folder isn't corrupted.

(...) I've just bought a RT-AC68U
When unzipping the download I get a file called RT-AC86U_382.1(...)

I might have found your problem.

The HND platform uses a different firmware format from the others. So for the RT-AC86U, the .w extension is normal. Double check what model you have.

(...) I've just bought a RT-AC68U
When unzipping the download I get a file called RT-AC86U_382.1(...)

I might have found your problem.
LOL... luckily router did validate the file and thankfully the extension is different. I wonder if it go through and flashed into it.

I can't believe I made that mistake :rolleyes:
Blame Asus for their confusing model naming scheme.
Also, I misread these two numbers as well. Takes always an extra second for me to verify what number I see.

wow 5 years later this thread is still relevant, this was basically my mistake, have a ac68u but downloaded the firmware for ac86u, thank you for this