What's new

Isolate router behind router with switch (VLAN?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aharu

Occasional Visitor
When I access the NAS via Wifi the speed is very limited because the Huawei and GS108Tv2 are linked via Netgear Powerline plugs. This I want to avoid by allowing NAS access via the RT-N66U, but since I believe having two routers in the same network is not a good idea I would like to deny the Asus router internet access.

Please the picture to understand better. The Asus router in the picture is not connected yet because I want to know how to configure this, if its possible at all?

TLDR;
1) Isolate Huawei and Asus from each other (no internet access for the Asus RT-N66U)

2) Allow internet access for NAS

3) Allow access to NAS via both routers

I'm guessing this has to do with VLAN configuring in the switch, and if this is the case - I don't know how to do it.

Would appreciate some help, thank you!!

Attachments

• netw.jpg
    netw.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 319
I let me see if I got this right just looking at your diagram. You do not want to cross the powerline plugs between the Huawei B593 router and your switch because you are using the wireless in your Huawei router. You want to use the Asus RT-66NU for access to the NAS without crossing the power plugs. I would think it would be as simple as turning off the wireless in the Huawei router and using the Asus RT-66NU router’s wireless providing it is close to the switch so network access to the Asus router does not cross the power plugs. Just turn off DHCP server in the Asus router and connect the Asus router on the LAN side (not WAN port) to the switch. The Asus router will need to get a DHCP client address or create a static address on the Asus router.

Last edited:
Correct, except - I don't want the Asus traffic to cross the powerline plugs. The switch should though! Also the nas. I know using the Asus in ap mode works but would like to understand how I could configure this in the switch.

To use vlan, is it a requirement that the nas has vlan support? Are there other ways other than vlan??

If you create a vlan and totally isolate the Asus router then anything connected to the Asus router will be isolated also. If you setup the Asus router as the primary router for the switch and then pass traffic to the Huawei router for internet and then create access rules to block traffic for the Asus router itself but not other LAN traffic then this might work but then traffic is passing through the Asus router across the power plugs. Asus would still be passing internet traffic just the Asus unit itself would be denied. If you try to block traffic for the Asus router on the Huawei router then traffic is still crossing the power plugs. You are going to need to tweak your definitions for your requirements to meet all requirements.

re: vLan

All devices on the vLan have to support vLan tagging including the switch and the NICs otherwise the vLan info is just dropped. The netgear 108 plus switches support vLans, I don't know if yours does.