What's new

Issue with IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tarassippo

Regular Contributor
I've recently replaced my Netgear R7000 with an Asus RT-AC66U_B1 with Merlin v384.10_2 and all is working good apart from an issue with the IPv6 (the R7000 never had a similar problem).

I've attached the configuration of my IPv6 section and basically every couple of days I lose the IPv6 address (Internet keeps working with IPv4 only) and the only way for me the regain an IPv6 address is to reboot the router: any suggestions how to fix that?

Tia.

Attachments

• IPv6.JPG
    IPv6.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 524
I've recently replaced my Netgear R7000 with an Asus RT-AC66U_B1 with Merlin v384.10_2 and all is working good apart from an issue with the IPv6 (the R7000 never had a similar problem).

I've attached the configuration of my IPv6 section and basically every couple of days I lose the IPv6 address (Internet keeps working with IPv4 only) and the only way for me the regain an IPv6 address is to reboot the router: any suggestions how to fix that?

Tia.

I suspect it could be your ISP, SKY UK, failing to renew IPv6 DHCP address.
upload_2019-5-7_7-36-23.png

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 399
Right, but this does not explain why it was working with the R7000 for the past 3 years...
Here in the US I had IPv6 issues with AT&T vDSL and my ASUS 86U, I moved to Spectrum cable and IPv6 works great on my ASUS and my home network devices. The point is that IPv6 is not homogeneous between ISP and IPv6 enable devices.

I am not saying it is definitely your ISP but without data capture of the IPv6 conversation between ASUS and your ISP, it is nothing more than a suspect. What would be important is if other ASUS and Sky UK users responded to this post with their experiences.

Tia.
The image is before or after you lose the IPv6 address

Exactly what do you mean by losing the IPv6 address, do you lose it in the router or in your devices?

Do you checked the section "Systemlog-> IPv6" and "Systemlog-> Routing table"?

When I say "I lose the IPv6 address" I mean that at some point in time the section "IPv6 LAN Setting" is empty and all the devices lose their IPv6 addresses...
Next time it happens I will check "Systemlog -> IPv6" and "Systemlog -> Routing table"...

Try disabling the "Release prefix on exit" on the IPv6 page. Some ISPs might prefer that.

Quick update: the issue persists and had to reboot the rooter twice in the last 7 days...

Should I remove the OpenDNS servers from the WAN section and/or from the IPv6 section, or it it would make no difference...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 444
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 424
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 246
Quick update: the issue persists and had to reboot the rooter twice in the last 7 days...

Should I remove the OpenDNS servers from the WAN section and/or from the IPv6 section, or it it would make no difference...
Install entware:
Code:
entware-setup.sh

Install tcpdump:
Code:
opkg install tcpdump

Capture ICMPv6 packets to see if you receive "router advertisement" from your ISP:
Code:
tcpdump -tttt -v -n -i $(nvram get wan0_gw_ifname) icmp6

thanks man, but this is too far beyond my knowledge o_O I will probably just try the stock firmware to see if anything changes...