What's new

Issue with JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge SSD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeffrey Young

Very Senior Member
Hello all,

I was given a JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge (ID 152d:0562) 250GB SSD drive as a gift. So I decided to change out my USB thumb drive for this nifty little SSD drive.

However, on boot up, the AC86U Router does not see the drive. Strange thing is, once the router is powered up, I can unplug the drive and plug back in and all is fine - the router sees the drive and mounts it.

I started out thinking the drive was not powering on in time, so I added a 10 second delay in init-start and pre-mount. Neither worked, and in fact, issuing a lsusb command after the router booted shows that the USB drive is not even listed.

The output of dmesg shows the following;

Code:
usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
usb 3-2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform
usb 3-2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-platform
usb 3-2: device not accepting address 5, error -110
usb 3-2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-platform

I can find a ton of bad things said online about this particular SSD and I figure it is a cheap brand. So other than saying it was worth a shot for the price of it, I was wondering if there are built commands (perhaps a service_ call) that would reset the USB controller. I did try lsusb -v, but it appears that the BusyBox version is very scaled back and does nothing.

Thoughts? Or should I just say "nice thought" and look for a more solid quality known name SSD drive.

Thanks

Thanks Jack. I did read that. Strange though that I can reliably get the drive to mount by hot swap after the router is booted. I tried rebooting both hard and soft (reboot). It does seem that a powered usb hub may be needed.

I had a similar enclosure with the same JMIcron part on a Raspberry Pi 4. I couldn't get Trim support.
If you do a Google search for updated firmware, you might give that a shot.

I ended up purchasing two other enclosures that had the ASMedia controller. Worked much better on Raspbian/Pi4 and also trouble free on an AX88U running Asuswrt-merlin.

I had a similar enclosure with the same JMIcron part on a Raspberry Pi 4. I couldn't get Trim support.
If you do a Google search for updated firmware, you might give that a shot.

I ended up purchasing two other enclosures that had the ASMedia controller. Worked much better on Raspbian/Pi4 and also trouble free on an AX88U running Asuswrt-merlin.
This. JMicron controllers are very unreliable and problematic. ASMedia controllers are infinitely better (ie ASM225, ASM235, ASM1153 controllers).

Thanks all. It was a gift, so what can you do. Works good on my Ubuntu machine - no issues at all on boot up there.

I found the listing in Amazon where the gifter purchased it from. Like the other SSD miniature drives on Amazon, they are all very short on specific details. Even this SSD only showed as Px2-Black-250G.

Several of us have posted the USB to SATA units which work well. As said earlier, JMicron do not get good reviews for many reasons - lots of reported issues. I've used this unit below reliably and earlier UGREEN USB to SATA SSDs on everything from ASUS RT-1900P to RT-AX86U. They have been reliable for me for years (knocking on wood) and are not JMicron based units. It's not worth the $15 USD in time to keep struggling with the known issues. (I also only use the UGREEN USB/SATA SSD units as swap and JFFS devices for AMTM running in USB 2.0 mode.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D2BHVBD/?tag=snbforums-20

One more thing. With the AC86U, my personal belief is that the PSU for the AC86U is slightly under-powered. As many AC86U owners know, when rebooting the AC86U remotely, sometimes it will just "power itself off" and require a trip to flip the switch. FWIW, I had a couple AC86Us which would do this occasionally. I upgraded their PSU to an OEM ASUS 19V/2.37A, from the original 19V/1.75A, and my two AC86U units never failed to reboot again in 2+ years. Of course I have no "engineering electrical proof" outside of my direct experiences and many years of "gut knowledge." Just another suggestion.. If you are game, those REAL/OEM ASUS 19V/2.37A PSU can be found on eBay. Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:
One more thing. With the AC86U, my personal belief is that the PSU for the AC86U is slightly under-powered. As many AC86U owners know, when rebooting the AC86U remotely, sometimes it will just "power itself off" and require a trip to flip the switch. FWIW, I had a couple AC86Us which would do this occasionally. I upgraded their PSU to an OEM ASUS 19V/2.37A, from the original 19V/1.75A, and my two AC86U units never failed to reboot again in 2+ years. Of course I have no "engineering electrical proof" outside of my direct experiences and many years of "gut knowledge." Just another suggestion.. If you are game, those REAL/OEM ASUS 19V/2.37A PSU can be found on eBa

I upgraded my PSU a while ago now to a unit that supplied 3/4 amp more current than the PSU normally shipped. I have not had a reboot freeze since. Was common before I upgraded the PSU. I am 100% confident the shipped PSU is under rated.

10-4. I'm starting to wonder too if the under-powered PSU might be one culprit in many AC86U failures of the internal VRU chips. I had AC86U which was working fine on the 19V/2.37A PSU for 18-24+ months. Then when I sunset it 2 weeks back for a AX86U, I cleaned the AC86U up, flashed it to stock FW, factory reset and it was working perfectly. As I was packing it up for eBay, I thought I should test with the original 19V/1.75A PSU which I'd left in the box/bag and keep my 19V/2.37A. When I plugged in the 19V/1.75A PSU and switched it on, the AC86U went poof - complete with magic smoke! I was cussing up a storm as a perfectly working fine AC86U was now 100% dead and would be for parts only. Growl. Again, just a "gut theory"... Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:
@gattaca that would tick a person right off! Especially as it sounds like you had a sale set up. Better ut happen now than when the buyer got it and blaming you for a bum product.