What's new

Issues with my new ASUS RT-AX92U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kregai

New Around Here
I am from India and had got a new ASUS RT-AX92U router a week back. Opened it and tried to configure. To my surprise, the router was just in a loop boot mode. Tried reset using Reset button, hard reset using WPS button as well as rescue mode. Nothing worked and hence had to return and seek a replacement from the seller. To my surprise even the second one did not work. The moment I switch it on, the power led would turn solid green only for a few seconds - it was just slowly blinking. Tried all the above three methods and nothing seemed to work. Now the router is with ASUS and they too have confirmed the same. My question to the peers and gurus here:

Has anyone using AX92U faced this issue ? If yes, what was the solution you got?

I am from India and had got a new ASUS RT-AX92U router a week back. Opened it and tried to configure. To my surprise, the router was just in a loop boot mode. Tried reset using Reset button, hard reset using WPS button as well as rescue mode. Nothing worked and hence had to return and seek a replacement from the seller. To my surprise even the second one did not work. The moment I switch it on, the power led would turn solid green only for a few seconds - it was just slowly blinking. Tried all the above three methods and nothing seemed to work. Now the router is with ASUS and they too have confirmed the same. My question to the peers and gurus here:

Has anyone using AX92U faced this issue ? If yes, what was the solution you got?
I purchased my AX92u (2 units) shortly after they first came out many years ago. I still use 1 as a node in AI Mesh. I've never had the issues you described.

Maybe you need a different seller.

OE

I would say different router model. This one is older weird "tri-band" model with single AX radio originally sold in pairs as AC "mesh" system. No firmware update for >1 year - stuck on 386 firmware. Perhaps discontinued already and often comes on sale or liquidation price and as single units.

Ask for a refund and buy something different / newer.

The AX92-U is not reliable as a router and when originally released the firmware had more bugs than a camel herders armpit.

Thanks for the responses. Unable to get a refund as the seller mentioned that only a replacement is possible. Hence had to reach out to ASUS service center. As mentioned in the OP, the service center has acknowledged the issue and has confirmed a replacement. Will be getting the replacement today. Hope that is good at least.

I already have a R7000 which has been updated to forked Merlin. With AX92-U wanted to build a mesh system. Hence went ahead with ASUS.

You'll more than likely have problems with the illegal firmware on the non-Asus router. Particularly with AiMesh.

The AX92u is fine for building a mesh system, however there are newer options available now. There was some horrible bugs with the firmware in the early days but these have all been patched. The ongoing issue this router has is related to the guest network.

As tech9 has stated, the AX92u was intended as an AC mesh (with AX backhaul). However, there is a workaround to allow the clients access to the AX shared backhaul. Therefore, clients will connect as AX and benefit from the WiFi 6 feature set.

Here is the speed of my AX backhaul channel.

Transmit Rate 2450.5Mbps
Receive Rate 2594.1Mbps

As my internet is only 1gbps, the backhaul never gets overloaded and my clients get the full 1gbps over WiFi. The latency on the AX92u is incredible. I tested a number of Asus routers and the AX92u offered the lowest latency, this is why I chose it over the AX86u. Unfortunately, my ping to Ookla is 10ms due to the ISP, not the router.

If you are looking for something newer, use the AX92u as a benchmark. For example, can the XT12 can beat the AX92u on latency.

The bottom line is I am more than happy with my AX92u's. I will no doubt keep them for years to come.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-13 155915.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-13 155915.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I don't believe in fairytales. Wireless AiMesh with 8x routers exceeds Asus recommendations for such setup and all nodes must be connected to the main router directly for up to 1/2 throughput chance. Shared backhaul with clients is equal to radios working with retransmissions. There is no even theoretical chance for lower latency compared to single router directly communicating to clients. Show your AiMesh page with 8x AX92U routers and connections.

I don't believe in fairytales. Wireless AiMesh with 8x routers exceeds Asus recommendations for such setup and all nodes must be connected to the main router directly for up to 1/2 throughput chance. Shared backhaul with clients is equal to radios working with retransmissions. There is no even theoretical chance for lower latency compared to single router directly communicating to clients. Show your AiMesh page with 8x AX92U routers and connections.
There are other people here with bigger networks who have shared their screens. Regarding topology, 2 nodes are connected off the backs of other nodes.

Lower latency is one of the benefits of AX over AC.

OFDMA helped in mitigating a lot of the bandwidth issues associated with a shared backhaul on the AX spec. The AX92u has a spare 5Ghz AC channel that you can failover clients too in times of high traffic.

The secret sauce is setting up a smart connect profile that is agile enough to respond to the bandwidth needs of your network. You need to find the "pain points" and have a good enough profile to balance the load. Another factor is positioning. A lot of it was trial and error, armed with only a consumer mobile app to monitor neighbouring signals. We did lots of tests, measuring latency, transfer rates and power level / signal strength for STA's and nodes.

At the time the network was setup, the AX92u was the only real retail solution available. I did look at enterprise solutions and they were all unreasonably expensive. There isn't really a "small business" market for mesh routers, so we went with the AX92u's.

Last edited:
My $0.02..

RT-AX92U, purchased 5/2021.
Replaced my RT-AC88U whose 5GHz radio died.
Not using AiMesh; just using it as a tri-band router.
Using stock Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.388_23630 (7/2023)

Not seeing the problems people here describe. If someone wants me to verify a specific bug, I can..

I have about 15 devices connected concurrently on wired, 2.4, 5 (band1), and 5 (band2).
I have had continuous device connections for over a month on a few devices. I am in a very WiFi congested area, with multiple neighbors' signals in my house.

I like the TrendMicro AiProtectection reports. And the Traffic Analyzer.
I don't use AiCloud or connect any USB devices to the router.

I manually reboot the router every 30 to 60 days: just about all devices slowly leak memory/resources these days.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!