What's new

It's teaser-time. Because why not.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I feel the implementation of 10GbE has slowed down on the consumer side as cloud and streaming platforms grew. Even with blazing PCIe Gen4 NVMe drives, I very rarely look to copy large files over my LAN, my 'Server' (and local storage hoarding) has actually shrunk.

IMHO, I think a better new product will be an all 2.5GBe version of an 'AX86', but with that sweet 2GB RAM, but these features are good to see, ASUS is anticipating us consumer needs and they will be rewarded.

Here's a teaser for a second router, before I head out to bed :)

View attachment 43117

(Diversion users might like that one...)
It's a long shot but I'm kinda hoping this is the Wifi 7 (pre-certified) upgrade to the ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 which has the same 2GB RAM specs. I remember when the ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000 was launched, it pretty much had the same specs as the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 with the addition of the 6Ghz band enabled for Wifi 6E. Broadcom's already distributed samples of its Wifi 7 chipsets to router manufacturers including Asus in the first quarter of this year.

If not, then it's probably the RT-AXE7800 that Asus previewed at Computex in late May this year. Link goes to the thread started by TheLostSwede.

Here's a teaser for a second router, before I head out to bed :)

(Diversion users might like that one...)
Looks to me as if Asus is going to be putting out some modern/futureproof hardware shortly, which makes me happy that I haven't needed to upgrade my AC86 yet. But just how modern? will I need to pull optical cabling to replace Cat5e?

Damn I'm hoping this is an upgraded AX88U :)

with 2GB of ram and a 2.5Gbs WAN port but there isn't enough LAN ports for it to be that :(

It's a long shot but I'm kinda hoping this is the Wifi 7 (pre-certified) upgrade to the ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 which has the same 2GB RAM specs. I remember when the ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000 was launched, it pretty much had the same specs as the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 with the addition of the 6Ghz band enabled for Wifi 6E. Broadcom's already distributed samples of its Wifi 7 chipsets to router manufacturers including Asus in the first quarter of this year.

If not, then it's probably the RT-AXE7800 that Asus previewed at Computex in late May this year. Link goes to the thread started by TheLostSwede.
I don't think so, the AXE7800 doesn't have the 10GbE. WiFi 7 is also very unlikely. He would have shown us a teaser pic of that. I'm with @Makaveli , this could be an updated version of the AX88U.

Such a tease. ;)

Why doesn't Asus make routers with upgrade-able ram?

Seems like a no brainer win win......

Why doesn't Asus make routers with upgrade-able ram?

Seems like a no brainer win win......
While that will be beneficial for users like us. Its probably due to cost and will probably hurt their sales abit. As now you won't be forced to upgrade to a new model because you need more ram.

Reminds me of lenovo and their 1st Gen X1 carbon laptops all with 4GB of soldered ram. Which you pretty much have to just trash today as 4GB of ram is not enough for a modern OS.

Or the 8GB M2 Apple Air, today.

Crossing my fingers that one of these has a CPU that can push past the current ~240mb OpenVPN limitation.
Isn't that because OpenVPN is single threaded?

And I believe the newer models are still using the same arch just slightly faster cpu 1.8 Ghz vs 2.0 Ghz

I think it maybe better to hope for Asus for finish up their Wireguard implementation and for Merlin to incorporate it since that performs much better than OpenVPN.

Isn't that because OpenVPN is single threaded?

And I believe the newer models are still using the same arch just slightly faster cpu 1.8 Ghz vs 2.0 Ghz

I think it maybe better to hope for Asus for finish up their Wireguard implementation and for Merlin to incorporate it since that performs much better than OpenVPN.
Correct. And you are probably correct. 2.0 isn't enough to bother with, and while it's a luxury and something I'm not desperately needing, it would be nice to get a bit more out of my internet connection.

That's a good point also about Wireguard. I haven't seen much about the progress of that and I'm not going to tinker with it until there's a GUI, but that would be a fantastic development to say the least.

IMHO, I think a better new product will be an all 2.5GBe version of an 'AX86', but with that sweet 2GB RAM, but these features are good to see, ASUS is anticipating us consumer needs and they will be rewarded.
Won't happen until Wifi 7, the BCM4912 (current Wifi 6 flagship CPU from BCM) only has one 2.5 Gbps port and 4 Gigabit ports.

Here is the first teased model.

gtax11000_pro-support.png

Honestly I was excited about it, but when I saw the price and its power adapter, I started to question whether I need a router like this.

As router CPUs get more faster, consume more power, and become more expensive, people will turn to the mature and cheap x86.

Maybe asus should really consider making lots of cheap wireless routers to act as antennas for x86 computers :confused:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!