What's new

It's teaser-time. Because why not.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Will Asus ever fix roaming? That’s my biggest gripe…
I am not sure asus should be claiming sole responsibility on such an endeavor. We have seen before that it is not always the access point causing the roaming problems. Some clients (actually alot of them) are prone to roaming issues as well. How do you suspect asus will tackle this problem?

I bet you got yours on pre-order.

Mmm, no. I expected more from current AX86U based on forum feedback. I bought one just to see how great it is. Well, first it's a toy like the rest; second AX88U is better for range. I had one AX88U before and AX86U was a bit of disappointment. I like the compact design. Both AC86U and AX86U take lass space on my shelf.

We have seen before that it is not always the access point causing the roaming problems.

Correct. Only network controller driven multi-AP systems do it better, but in general the client decides where to connect. The main AiMesh issue is the hardware it runs on - home routers designed to work solo on high power with omnidirectional antennas. Each router's goal is to provide as much coverage as possible and AiMesh has no node power control. This is why the roaming is inconsistent. Also, as per advertisements AiMesh works on mixed hardware from different generations. Some clients just prefer one radio over another no matter what. This is one of the reasons I recommend AiMesh with all the same routers - the clients see all the same radios and may switch to the closer/stronger one. I've seen it in action in my tests.

I like the compact design. Both AC86U and AX86U take lass space on my shelf.
Definitely true. I was on the fence but when the 388 branch came out for the AX88 it pushed me over the fence. But the AX88 cooling is much better than the AC86. My AC86 definitely needed a fan, but the AX88U was running at 67C, and then I put a fan under it for kicks and it is at 50C.

Definitely true. I was on the fence but when the 388 branch came out for the AX88 it pushed me over the fence. But the AX88 cooling is much better than the AC86. My AC86 definitely needed a fan, but the AX88U was running at 67C, and then I put a fan under it for kicks and it is at 50C.
Smack a fan under that baby and it will purr along.

41-x3IOO42S._AC_SY1000_.jpg

The main AiMesh issue is the hardware it runs on - home routers designed to work solo on high power with omnidirectional antennas. Each router's goal is to provide as much coverage as possible and AiMesh has no node power control. This is why the roaming is inconsistent.
From my experience, AiMesh has only gotten better than when it first came out.
Also, as per advertisements AiMesh works on mixed hardware from different generations. This is one of the reasons I recommend AiMesh with all the same routers - the clients see all the same radios and may switch to the closer/stronger one.

Even with AiMesh routers of different generations. It seems to overall work very well. I think the biggest factor is understanding topology. What I mean is, having some general knowledge on the best places to put Nodes at. This may require testing, and getting ones hands dirty. This is where Asus might have overestimated their customers by upselling the "pair it - and forget it" ideology.

Some clients just prefer one radio over another no matter what.

I think this is the most true of all. The client is still going to do what it wants to do (or what it prefers to do)- no matter how many times it gets kicked from one Node to another.

From my experience, AiMesh has only gotten better than when it first came out.

Agree. Still a Band-Aid solution though.

Even with AiMesh routers of different generations. It seems to overall work very well.

If you have an AX main router, better get an AX repeater than re-using the old AC68U.

I think this is the most true of all.

Correct. This has the most weight in the equation, but the rest still defines the final result.

Will Asus ever fix roaming? That’s my biggest gripe…
Roaming is a client feature! Want it to work better, complain to the WiFi Consortium! Then wait 5 years after they make the correction mandatory and don't forget to replace all your clients and APs

I finally decided on the AX88, used from Amazon for $190. Arrived in perfect shape without the fliers or the plastic film. Went straight to 386.8 though, without trying the 8/30 Asus 2022 firmware.
Good choice!

This firmware has been great on it for me first one in awhile that actually list my AVR in windows

1663802027206.png

1663802037726.png

Smack a fan under that baby and it will purr along.

View attachment 44342

I recommend this also :)

Laptop cooling Pad!

1663802259593.jpeg

Last edited:
Good choice!

This firmware has been great on it for me first one in awhile that actually list my AVR in the windows.

View attachment 44355

View attachment 44356

I recommend this also :)

Laptop cooling Pad!

View attachment 44357
What a hoot. I have the exact same laptop fan, plugged into the front USB port exactly like that. No where near as neat though.

The bottom openings and the large top opening are unusually well suited for cooling--I wish my 87U had this, and of course the AC56/AC1900/AC86 are only vented up along the back of the board.

The bottom openings and the large top opening are unusually well suited for cooling--I wish my 87U had this, and of course the AC56/AC1900/AC86 are only vented up along the back of the board.

It's about time for another Router Temperature thread perhaps... :)

Would love to see an updated AX88U Pro :)

1x 2.5/1 Gbps Wan Port
1x 2.5/1 Gbps Lan/Wan Port
6x 1 Gbps Lan
2.0GHz quad-core CPU,
256 MB Flash, 2GB RAM
no RGB
Wifi 6E

$399

You forgot about factory made cooling fan at the back. Big one, Pro! With fan controller in GUI.
Now that would be impressive, so far all we have been able to get is a couple of gui controlled fancy night lights- I think they refer to it as the ROG lights. Those fancy lights ensure that there is no true down time.

I want fan speed controller, time scheduler and dust blow feature in GUI. You know, like when you turn on a server the fans blow on max for 10 seconds like a jet engine and then slow down. This is true Pro, bro.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!