What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for your report and using the add-on!:cool:

That is normal behaviour by design since the availability of Transmission changes (greyed out) in the Kamoj Menu.:oops:
I'm not clever enough to find out how to do it without re-loading the whole page.o_O
Help to overcome this annoyance is welcome!:)
As I was updating Settings in the "Set Programs & Services on / off" section, I noticed that when I clicked on the "Disable Transmission torrent client" checkbox, either to check or uncheck, my browser does not remain on Settings page , as compared to clicking on the other checkboxes. The browser refreshes to the /adv_index.htm instead. Not sure if this is intended behavior. I would have expected for the Settings page to remain.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b21
--------------------------------------------------
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Adblocking: Moved to RAM.
Consequence: All downloaded lists will be downloaded again after a reboot.
Own lists are still stored in flash to survive reboot.
Usage of own USB-device will come in a future release, after the add-on is
considered working ok in these matters.
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Removed: JustDomains (List not published)
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Removed: Immortal Domains (List not published)
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Oisd Light (Wildcards) added to DNSCrypt Blacklists.
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Adding all lists including Oisd Light gives R7800 a memory usage of e.g.
69.6 % 328 / 472 MB
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Oisd (Wildcards) added to DNSCrypt Blacklists. (@Warlord1981)
This list includes more than 1.3 Million entries, and then many of them are with wild-cards.
This options uses very much memory, for R7800 e.g.:
RAM Memory Usage (Used/Total) 78.0 % 368 / 472 MB
Since this options uses very much memory, it is not enabled by default.
To enable this option, you need to run these commands from router command prompt:
nvram set kamoj_allow_oisd=1
nvram commit
WARNING: If you enable ALL lists, all the R7800 RAM memory will be allocated and
the router might crash and cause endless booting, requiring tftp installation.
I suggest you use only this, or the other lists.
Before using this big Oisd list, always press Reset to clear all old lists first!
Without Reset: 89.6 % 423 / 472 MB
With Reset : 81.1 % 382 / 472 MB
So check memory usage!!!
Don't enable this option unless you know what you are doing!

- Settings: Updated "top show" (and made more thread safe) and "ps show" in GUI to use new Voxel tools.
- Settings: Fixed bug showing different Congestion Control in Settings and Router Information
(Same problem as with iptables: Netgear/DNI sometimes deletes user values set with sysctl -w)
- Updated "ps2" command to show cumulative CPU time in seconds.
- Router Information: Adjusted "RAM Memory Usage" calculation
- Router Information: Removed "Auto Refresh" option. May be recovered by smart power users! (Easter egg).
- Minor changes

N.B: If you use DNSCrypt ad-blocking and experience problems, report the problem and revert to 5.4b20, please.

Last edited:
Upgraded from 5.4b20 to 5.4b21 on R7800 running in AP mode with Voxel 1.0.2.82.2SF by uninstalling add-on, rebooting, installing latest add-on beta and rebooting again.

Did not encounter any issue with the upgrade process.

Observed prior add-on settings were preserved and Router Information page has removed "Auto Refresh" option.

Thanks Kamoj.

@kamoj Many thanks for the update and the list!

I mainly use Adguard now (mostly for the UI & easy of use), but will fur sure test Oisd list on DNSCrypt Proxy v2 (and maybe apply it on Adguard too) and revert.

Regarding my Adguard Home issues above and for anyone that might be facing the same behaviour, I found two below settings that take too much CPU leading to Adguard unresponsivness. Changing to recommended settings solved my issue. Try one at a time or both and post your results.

- "Use AdGuard browsing security web service" in General Settings. (Recommended: Disable this option)
- "Parallel Requests" on Upstream Servers in DNS Settings. (Recommended: Load-balancing)

Updated today to the latest both @Voxel firmware and @kamoj add-on. Unfortunately I have absolutely the same R7800 router behavior when I run uTorrent client as I described in my earlier post. Do you have suggestions how to investigate/debug this. I've just lost connection for several minutes to both 2.4/5 GHz WLANs (untill I shut down uTorrent). All that is written below is in full effect too. It's really strange that the router can be bugged and rendered unusable so easily this simple way.
I have currently this observation. When I start a bittorrent client from Windows PC (not downloading anything but just seeding several torrents with very low speed of 512KBps) then I have high CPU usage 50-60% to 100%. At this stage continuing between 10-15 minutes and maybe hours I'm unable to open the Router Information page (The CGI script took too long to produce a response), I cannot view anything using Top from System Information page. Last night I was unable to open even a single web page. At the same time I couldn't login to the Web GUI and I lost connection to the 5GHz WLAN. Router recovered around 10 minutes later. As I write this message finally I successfully opened the router information page (trying for 15 minutes) and still see 60% CPU load and a minute later I cannot open the page.

After a few hours tried the same pattern with torrent client - same result 100% CPU usage more than 15 minutes. Not a single command from System Information page works - all blank fields. Slow opening of web pages. Top from console shows nothing useful.
Second checking 15 minutes later (torrent client closed 10 minutes before that) gives kamoj.sh with 40% CPU usage with high CPU temperature.
Tried all of this 3 more times during the last 2 hours and the situation is the same. From the last attempt I can hardly use 5 GHz - Ookla speedtest very slow connection from Android phone just 4 meters from router, ping above 100ms and ridiculously slow down/up (30/6 Mbps) speeds.
Closing the torrent at least resolves this after 5 minutes but I never had such a problem with routers that have really low specs compared to R7800 hardware.

Last edited:
Thank you again for all information and descriptions!:)

The "Netgear / Basic / Home page" tries to connect to Netgear servers.
The add-on do more than that, and maybe outsmarts itself sometimes?:confused:
E.g. when "internet connection" (ping to selected servers) fails, (if reboot is enabled)
it pings the wan_dhcp_gateway , and if it reachable, logs "ERROR: INTERNET connection FAILED. But wan_dhcp_gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is reachable: rebooting.."
The idea is to not reboot if your ISP/Modem is not connectable either, as if the modem is off or you network wan-cable is out.
(Even when using VPN, the wan_dhcp_gateway is outside the tunnel).

In your logs I see the add-on restarts you VPN many times, and succeeds every time,
but since your log is over several days it's hard to know.
If the DNSCrypt fails to connect it's servers you should still be able to ping e.g. 8.8.8.8.
Did you try to do that from a router prompt?

Another thing:
I don't know what you mean with "the routers DNS is pointed...".
When you run DNSCrypt those settings are overruled, and DNSCrypts own fallback servers are used.
Also DNSMasq is not used for DNS at all when using DNSCrypt.

If you want to test "internet" connection the Netgear way, try this example:
Code:
if ! detcable show | grep -qc "WAN  : Plug off"; then echo DOWN;fi

Stay safe!
Hello,

Kamoj, I appreciate the feedback! I did not think to ping google but will try that and the "Netgear way" if I see the need for a manual restart again. The Add-on is restarting things very well and this was the only recent occurrence where a manual restart of the VPN has been needed. It has not happened since my last post.

It seems to me that the Add-on is detecting real events that are being missed by the Netgear check and then the Add-on is taking care of the problem quickly - as my internet connection is much more usable with the Add-on! Surprisingly, there must be enough video buffering in devices that I can still watch things like Plex or Netflix while all this happens in the background. The few times I have seen the need for a manual restart of the VPN, the Add-on will show ping and lookup failures but perhaps in that odd occurrence it is not "enough" to indicate a problem requiring a restart of the VPN? Anyway, all-in-all it is working well and a huge improvement over what I had before!

The router's DNS I was referring to is the "Netgear DNS settings" on the Internet setup page. I mentioned it being set to 9.9.9.9, etc. (public DNS') only because I thought it may make a difference if it had been set to the PiHole device that connects to the internet through the R9000 router?? Also, I wasn't sure if DNSMasq would matter or not (I assume it is involved only by directing DNS requests to and from 127.0.0.1?). Anyway, thought I would mention it just to let you know I didn't have a log on it. (I do now just in case).

Thanks and Best Wishes,
BL

Make sure QoS is switched off.
Also switch off 11K in the Netgear hidden debug page.

I suggest you try without add-on and a clean not restored configuration.
If still a problem open another thread with your issue as topic, and it will get proper attention.
Updated today to the latest both @Voxel firmware and @kamoj add-on. Unfortunately I have absolutely the same R7800 router behavior when I run uTorrent client as I described in my earlier post. Do you have suggestions how to investigate/debug this. I've just lost connection for several minutes to both 2.4/5 GHz WLANs (untill I shut down uTorrent). All that is written below is in full effect too. It's really strange that the router can be bugged and rendered unusable so easily this simple way.

Using two R7800 devices with Voxel 1.0.2.82.2SF, one in router mode and one in AP mode

Router mode device has Kamoj Add-on V5.4b20
AP mode device has Kamoj Add-on V5.4b21

Both V5.4b20 and V5.4b21 display only the following 2 lines when clicking on System Information->AP Stats->Show button

apstats: No application recognized options. Using defaults: AP level, non-recursive.
Use -h for help

It does not appear to be capturing / displaying the full apstats info.

Also, on both versions, clicking on System Information->WiFi Info->Show button does not display any info.

Make sure QoS is switched off.
Also switch off 11K in the Netgear hidden debug page.

I suggest you try without add-on and a clean not restored configuration.
If still a problem open another thread with your issue as topic, and it will get proper attention.
Thanks.
I will probably have to start a new thread because there is something terribly wrong. I've disabled 11k, started uTorrent, telnet to the router and tried to run /usr/bin/top-procps-ng -b -n1 -c -w512
Then I was just kicked out of the WLAN network.
This was the command output before I was kicked out

Attachments

• output.txt
    13 KB · Views: 79
Dear @kamoj after upgrading Voxel's firmware, I went ahead to uninstall previous kamoj addon but get the following message:

Capture.PNG

Just proceed with the installation of new version?

You should have followed instructions and uninstall add-on BEFORE upgrading FW.
But, yes, install the new version now!
Hmm.. But on the instructions step no.4 is "Install latest voxel if not already installed" and then step no.5 "Uninstall previous kamoj-addon".

4). Install latest Voxel firmware if not already installed.
(Add-on will be lost, but it's settings are not lost)

5). Uninstall previous version of kamoj-addon (if any) - IMPORTANT!
(Your settings will not be lost).
Code from the routers telnet/ssh prompt:
/bin/opkg remove -V1 --force-remove kamoj-addon
reboot; # IMPORTANT!

I don't know what "instruction" you are using.
This is what you get when downloading and reading the readme.txt:
"4). Uninstall previous version of kamoj-addon (if any) - IMPORTANT!
(Your settings will not be lost).
Code from the routers telnet/ssh prompt:
/bin/opkg remove -V1 --force-remove kamoj-addon
reboot; # IMPORTANT!
=====================================================================================
##### reboot MUST be performed #####
WARNING: If you don't reboot at this stage your router firmware may become corrupt!!!
=====================================================================================

5). Install latest Voxel firmware if not already installed."

So please again, read all provided documentation before asking in this thread.
We need to keep this thread for beta testing, helping to improve the add-on.
Hmm.. But on the instructions step no.4 is "Install latest voxel if not already installed" and then step no.5 "Uninstall previous kamod-addon".

It's ok. I'm used to it.
About 1 download of readme.txt per 50 ipks...
I should have written better in the release_notes.txt and readme.txt.
Sorry, my fault.
Don't worry, Just installed and everything seems ok so far!
Since I made steps 4 & 5 with the wrong order, you think it would be a good idea to uninstall addon and then install it back again or it won't make a difference?

By the way, why Adblocking got moved in the RAM? For faster operation? Won't users be even more limited regarding blocklists, since Ram Usage already got 20% higher?

Last edited:
For space, and to not wear out the precious flash (Limited number of writes).
See Router Information:
RAM: 472 MB
Flash: 49.836 MB MTD Block:mtd6 ("rootfs" 31.326 MB) Type:nand. File system: squashfs
Don't worry, Just installed and everything seems ok so far!
Since I made steps 4 & 5 with the wrong order, you think it would be a good idea to uninstall addon and then install it back again or it won't make a difference?

By the way, why Adblocking got moved in the RAM? For faster operation? Won't users be even more limited regarding blocklists, since Ram Usage already got 20% higher?

From this morning I cannot view any information on System Information page. Any Show button that I click on doesn't reveal any information but instead asks for User and Password that are not accepted and take me to the router password reset page. I consider this as a bug. Maybe it isn't?

From this morning I cannot view any information on System Information page. Any Show button that I click on doesn't reveal any information but instead asks for User and Password that are not accepted and take me to the router password reset page. I consider this as a bug. Maybe it isn't?
How are you installing the Kamoj add-on? Are you installing from a USB thumb drive? And, if yes, how is it formatted?

At one time, I experienced what appears to be your problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!