What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Droidrat I've read for your problem 5 days ago here on SNB but now I have it too and that's why I report here.
I install it with wget from internet - uploaded the ipk earlier to zippyshare.
Just uninstalled @kamoj add-on to investigate the issues described above.
I have to say that after removing the add-on I've lost connection to the Internet on the LAN network (rebooted the router twice and computer too). The router itself reported that the connection to the Internet was OK.
I had to reset to factory default settings to regain the Internet access.

@Droidrat I've read for your problem 5 days ago here on SNB but now I have it too and that's why I report here.
I install it with wget from internet - uploaded the ipk earlier to zippyshare.
Just uninstalled @kamoj add-on to investigate the issues described above.
I have to say that after removing the add-on I've lost connection to the Internet on the LAN network (rebooted the router twice and computer too). The router itself reported that the connection to the Internet was OK.
I had to reset to factory default settings to regain the Internet access.

OK, I think I can solve your problem. Get a USB thumb drive, and format it with FAT32. Verify the integrity of the Kamoj add-on (I use HashCalc, but there are lots of programs that will generate a hash). After you have verified the ipk, transfer the Kamoj ipk to the thumb drive. Just to be safe, reset the router to the default settings. Then insert the thumb drive into the router and follow the Kamoj installation instructions from that point forward. On my router, the path for the thumb drive is mnt/sda (rather than mnt/sda1)

Don't use the wget/zippyshare method. (If I am correct, and the USB thumb drive works for you, I will alert @kamoj and suggest that he modify the instructions.)

After a reset to default settings I've installed kamoj add-on as you recommended from usb drive (verified the hash-sum before that).
Playing with settings for a couple of hours and trying to crash the router with uTorrent is unsuccessful at the moment and there is no high CPU usage.
Still using the default add-on settings. I will start changing settings one by one and I hope there won't be any problem. Then I'll report back.
Thanks.
OK, I think I can solve your problem. Get a USB thumb drive, and format it with FAT32. Verify the integrity of the Kamoj add-on (I use HashCalc, but there are lots of programs that will generate a hash). After you have verified the ipk, transfer the Kamoj ipk to the thumb drive. Just to be safe, reset the router to the default settings. Then insert the thumb drive into the router and follow the Kamoj installation instructions from that point forward. On my router, the path for the thumb drive is mnt/sda (rather than mnt/sda1)

Don't use the wget/zippyshare method. (If I am correct, and the USB thumb drive works for you, I will alert @kamoj and suggest that he modify the instructions.)

Or my method:
Always keep an USB-disk inserted in your router and have that USB disk shared via ReadyShare.
Download .ipk on your computer.
connect to \\readyshare\USB_Storage (or whatever you named it in ReadyShare)
Copy the .ipk from your computer to the share.
install from /mnt/sda/....

Added bonus: If you have the USB always attached, you can also use a port-mount script to automatically restore some settings (like SSH-keys or VPN-configs) after each firmware upgrade.

@R. Gerrits
Thank you for your suggestion. I would like to use a flash drive that is always connected to the usb port (for backup purposes too) but when I used usb 3 flash drive connected permanently I've observed lower upload speeds on 2.4GHz WLAN (I've mentioned that in my earlier post - probably due to interference caused by the unshielded usb 3 device). Probably I'll have to try with another usb 2 flash drive.
Unfortunately my happiness was only for a few hours. Everything was really quick and responsible with very low CPU usage.
Minutes ago when I enabled DNSCrypt and set up 4 filters and run torrent client I've totally lost connection to the router and Internet from LAN/WLAN. Web interface and telnet were not accessible. The last thing I was able to see was a 70% CPU load on a router debug page and that was it. I was unable to do anything else and after waiting for 10 minutes I had to hard reset the router via the power button.
Upon restart I saw that DNSCrypt was not running on the Router Info page (although enabled in NVRAM) and I didn't have access to Internet from the LAN. I had to click on the radio buttons to disable/enable it and then it started and Internet was then accessible.

Last edited:
Just a wild guess, would perhaps transmission try to do a dns lookup for every client that connect?
And the encryption by dnscypt causes more cpu overhead then a normal unencrypted dns request?

Now as I think of this I'll disable "Resolve IPs" in uTorrent settings and try again. This option was always turned on and didn't cause any problems on my former OpenWRT router.

Edit: Turning this option off doesn't help either. At least I could run top from console but I don't know if that would help anyway.
After resetting to default settings and the installation of the @kamoj add-on and set up from scratch, now the DNSCrypt won't start automatically after a reboot (and the Internet is not accessible).
Currently I've disabled the DNSCrypt because of that and to investigate further the issues described.

Attachments

• output.txt
    16 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Now as I think of this I'll disable "Resolve IPs" in uTorrent settings and try again. This option was always turned on and didn't cause any problems on my former OpenWRT router.

Edit: Turning this option off doesn't help either. At least I could run top from console but I don't know if that would help anyway.
After resetting to default settings and the installation of the @kamoj add-on and set up from scratch, now the DNSCrypt won't start automatically after a reboot (and the Internet is not accessible).
Currently I've disabled the DNSCrypt because of that and to investigate further the issues described.
Hello,

I don't know if this is helpful... but after reading your post, I decided to see how Transmission affected my R9000 router. I started downloading 4 torrents and seeding one (DNS resolution turned off in Transmission). DNSCrypt is running with two blocklists and my blacklist. Aegis and Plex are also running (Plex is typically my biggest CPU user).

My CPU % Load Total as shown on the Kamoj Router Information page went up from about 16% (if I recall correctly???) to about 35%. I guess I don't understand the CPU information as well as I thought though ... because the "Last 1/5/15 minutes" still shows about 3% in each category... even after more than 15 minutes running Transmission and showing the higher CPU values. Can someone let me know if this is correct and how to interpret these values? The total values in "TOP" agree with the Router Information page "Last 1/5/15 minutes" - so is that what is shown there?

2021-02-18 08.21.40 192.168.11.1 216fb60f1aec.jpg

Anyway, I don't notice any problems on my router or network when running Transmission.

Thanks,
BL

Hello,

I never seem to show a good DNS Status on the Router Information page (yet pings are often OK). I decided to look into it and now I am confused.

I telnetted into the router and ran nslookup and curl on what I had entered into kamoj_ping_www (I changed it earlier because of the DNS Status "ERROR"s). I got a failure with the first address in my list so I deleted that from Kamoj_ping_www and did nvram commit. The Router Information page now showed a good DNS Status - success! Then when the Router Information page refreshed, the DNS Status showed an error again (as shown in the pic below).

2021-02-18 07.38.46 192.168.11.1 2a3eb438342a.jpg

Yet the Supervisor log (attached) showed all pings and curl tests successful - not one failure. I cleared the cache on my browser - same thing. I used a different browser - same thing. I rebooted the router and the fist view of the DNS Status was good and at that time the VPN had not completed its start-up. The next page refresh showed the VPN was up and now the DNS Status showed "ERROR". My VPN does apply malware filtering, so I decided to try an OpenVPN profile that does not filter. Same thing, the Add-on Supervisor log shows all ping and curl successful but the router information page shows DNS Status: ERROR. Resetting to other values, including the default in kamoj_ping_www makes no difference. I have also increased kamoj_restart_ping_timeout to a value one number higher than what it takes to get a successful "curl --max-time () https://ifconfig.io/ip" command.

No matter what, the Router Information page shows DNS Status: ERROR yet the supervisor log shows 100% success. I assume I am misunderstanding how this works or have done something incorrect? It doesn't seem to affect my router's operation but like I said, I am confused (as usual!) by this. Thoughts please...

Thanks,
BL

Attachments

• Supervision_curl_OK.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 73
I have an issue seeing / accessing a USB thumb drive on my R7800. I have 2 thumb drives, sda (fat32 format, used to install the Kamoj add-on and backup certain data) and sdb1 (ext4 format, used for entware). When everything is working properly, the drives are each listed at the bottom of the Kamoj Router Information page, as a USB Device.

After I upgraded to Voxel 82.2 and Kamoj b21, the sdb1 drive is no longer listed on the Router Information page. A reboot of the router didn't restore it. I used telnet, and determined that I still have both an sdb and an sdb1 directory/folder, but when I change to either of them, the ls command displays nothing.

This happened once before several months ago, and I found that the ext4 drive had not been erased, but the files simply weren't appearing in the r7800. My solution was to reformat (and rebuild) the entware drive. I didn't report it or ask for help. Now that it has happened twice, does anyone know what is going on or how to fix it?

Hello,

I don't know much about this stuff...the only thing I could think to try would be what is listed in the Kamoj Add-on FAQ. I had usb mount problems some time ago and that helped me out.

Q: How do I reset all USB mounting points to start from sda1 again etc?
A: Run these commands from router shell:
nvram show | awk -F= '/green_download_path/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^shared_usb_folder/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/usbDeviceName/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^node[0-9]*/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram commit
reboot

still having a love/hate relationship with AdGuardHome. Sometimes it works weeks without issues, sometimes it occasionally needs to be restarted.
But today it would again crash with an out of memory error, almost immediately after starting it.

I finally think I spotted the issue. In the log file (/tmp/log/AdGuardHome.log) I spotted this line:

2021/02/18 20:37:04 [info] Filter 1 has been updated: 741928 bytes, 39179 rules
2021/02/18 20:37:04 [info] Saving filter 1 contents to: /tmp/addons/adguard_home/data/filters/1.txt
2021/02/18 20:37:08 [info] Failed to update filter https://abp.oisd.nl: write /tmp/addons/adguard_home/data/filters/993338226: no space left on device

2021/02/18 20:37:08 [info] Filter 1590435211 has been updated: 43863 bytes, 2765 rules
2021/02/18 20:37:08 [info] Saving filter 1590435211 contents to: /tmp/addons/adguard_home/data/filters/1590435211.txt
2021/02/18 20:37:08 [info] Updated filter #1. Rules: 39161 -> 39179

afaics, /tmp is tmpfs without a size limit -> so if tmpfs is full, then also the router memory is full. And that would explain the OOM crash.

Does anyone have a quick way to see how big /tmp is?? (df -h doesn't show it)

Anyways, I'll now try I simple hack and put the AdGuard Home data folder on my USB. See if that fixes it.
tbc...

Data from the last minute with DNSCrypt running. Full data in the attached file if someone can figure out what's going on. Maybe @Voxel or @kamoj can look it too. I'm not sure because during the tests I've spotted a 15-20 minutes period when the CPU usage became high but the router remained responsive although there was a big lagging but the DNSCrypt wasn't running at the same time.
Code:
root@R7800:/$ /usr/bin/top-procps-ng -b -n1 -c -w512
top-procps-ng - 23:24:31 up  8:12,  0 users,  load average: 12.19, 8.36, 6.23
Tasks: 146 total,   9 running, 137 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu0  :   0.9/99.1  100[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]
%Cpu1  :   0.0/100.0 100[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]
GiB Mem : 42.2/0.5      [                                                                                                    ]
GiB Swap:  0.0/0.0      [                                                                                                    ]

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ S COMMAND
6254 root      20   0    2.0m   0.8m   2.7   0.2   0:00.04 R /usr/bin/top-procps-ng -b -n1 -c -w512
5993 root      20   0    0.0m   0.0m   1.4   0.0   0:14.83 S [kworker/0:2]
    3 root      20   0    0.0m   0.0m   1.4   0.0   0:27.51 S [ksoftirqd/0]
6241 root      20   0    1.7m   0.5m   1.4   0.1   0:00.01 S /bin/sh /usr/bin/restart_supervision.sh
    4 root      20   0    0.0m   0.0m   0.0   0.0   0:00.73 D [kworker/0:0]
    6 root      rt   0    0.0m   0.0m   0.0   0.0   0:05.74 S [migration/0]
    8 root      20   0    0.0m   0.0m   0.0   0.0   0:03.16 R [kworker/1:0]

full data in the attached file
the next line looks differently

28630 root      39  19  797.1m  14.2m   0.0   3.0   0:05.59 S /usr/sbin/dnscrypt-proxy-2 -config=/tmp/etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml -pidfile=/var/run/dnscrypt-proxy-2.pid -logfile=/var/log/dnscrypt-proxy-2.log

end of the data

30559 root      20   0    0.0m   0.0m   0.0   0.0   0:02.12 S [kworker/u:3]
root@R7800:/$

Attachments

• kamoj.txt
    36.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Hello,

I don't know much about this stuff...the only thing I could think to try would be what is listed in the Kamoj Add-on FAQ. I had usb mount problems some time ago and that helped me out.

Q: How do I reset all USB mounting points to start from sda1 again etc?
A: Run these commands from router shell:
nvram show | awk -F= '/green_download_path/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^shared_usb_folder/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/usbDeviceName/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^node[0-9]*/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram commit
reboot
Thank you. Unfortunately, this series of commands did not fix the problem.

It is interesting, the first line of Kamoj System Information | USB1 Info reads "CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES='sda sdb' " (and before I ran the code you suggested and rebooted, it had read CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES='sda sdb sdb1'). So the router recognizes that a device is installed in USB2, but Kamoj System Information | USB2 Info is empty.

Last edited:
still having a love/hate relationship with AdGuardHome. Sometimes it works weeks without issues, sometimes it occasionally needs to be restarted.
But today it would again crash with an out of memory error, almost immediately after starting it.

I finally think I spotted the issue. In the log file (/tmp/log/AdGuardHome.log) I spotted this line:

2021/02/18 20:37:04 [info] Filter 1 has been updated: 741928 bytes, 39179 rules
2021/02/18 20:37:04 [info] Saving filter 1 contents to: /tmp/addons/adguard_home/data/filters/1.txt
2021/02/18 20:37:08 [info] Failed to update filter https://abp.oisd.nl: write /tmp/addons/adguard_home/data/filters/993338226: no space left on device

2021/02/18 20:37:08 [info] Filter 1590435211 has been updated: 43863 bytes, 2765 rules
2021/02/18 20:37:08 [info] Saving filter 1590435211 contents to: /tmp/addons/adguard_home/data/filters/1590435211.txt
2021/02/18 20:37:08 [info] Updated filter #1. Rules: 39161 -> 39179

afaics, /tmp is tmpfs without a size limit -> so if tmpfs is full, then also the router memory is full. And that would explain the OOM crash.

Does anyone have a quick way to see how big /tmp is?? (df -h doesn't show it)

Anyways, I'll now try I simple hack and put the AdGuard Home data folder on my USB. See if that fixes it.
tbc...

Kind of makes sense... I never had a problem running AdGuard (except for getting download timeouts on install). But I always had AdGuard on my USB HDD. I finally switched back to DNSCrypt just because I have it on everything else and am very used to it.

BL

Thank you. Unfortunately, this series of commands did not fix the problem.

It is interesting, the first line of Kamoj System Information | USB1 Info reads "CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES='sda sdb' " (and before I ran the code you suggested and rebooted, it had read CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES='sda sdb sdb1'). So the router recognizes that a device is installed in USB2, but Kamoj System Information | USB2 Info is empty.
Darn. Told you I didn't know much! I hope you find a fix...

The problems with the high CPU usage on my R7800 are not probably exclusively related to DNSCrypt. I've disabled it overnight. This morning I've restarted the router and ran uTorrent client from Windows 10. Immediately the CPU load went to 80-100% and you know the story from there on...
Probably will have to live without this program which is not a big deal but the questions remain.
The other unexplained thing is why the Top doesn't give any clue about the process that consumes all the CPU cycles and make the router completely inoperable.

Last edited:
I have an issue seeing / accessing a USB thumb drive on my R7800. I have 2 thumb drives, sda (fat32 format, used to install the Kamoj add-on and backup certain data) and sdb1 (ext4 format, used for entware). When everything is working properly, the drives are each listed at the bottom of the Kamoj Router Information page, as a USB Device.

After I upgraded to Voxel 82.2 and Kamoj b21, the sdb1 drive is no longer listed on the Router Information page. A reboot of the router didn't restore it. I used telnet, and determined that I still have both an sdb and an sdb1 directory/folder, but when I change to either of them, the ls command displays nothing.

This happened once before several months ago, and I found that the ext4 drive had not been erased, but the files simply weren't appearing in the r7800. My solution was to reformat (and rebuild) the entware drive. I didn't report it or ask for help. Now that it has happened twice, does anyone know what is going on or how to fix it?
I had a very similar experience with a simultaneous upgrade to FW V1.0.2.82.1SF (Voxel) and Kamoj Add-on:5.4b20. Lost access to my /opt (for Entware). I had to recreate the Entware drive using a new usb stick as the the existing usb is locked “read only” and cannot be reformatted. Also, no partition tools (tried several) can remove the ext4 partition. This usb does not have a physical lock.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!