What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Addon 5.5 Beta for Netgear R7800/R8900/R9000 with Voxel FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There is now a patch to get current Adguard home to work with the addon.
It should survive router reboot and the new configuration file format.
(It does work for me when testing with Kamoj Add-on:230911-113400-5.5b35. I use no USB device and no pppoe.).
You can install it by:
  1. Install latest AdGuard home: Adguard Home: Install + "Download Latest Version"
  2. Switch off AdGuard Home (Select DNS Filter/Encryption: ⚠ None - Not recommended)
  3. Issue this command from the router command line:
    Code:
    curl --fail --insecure -o /usr/bin/addon_adguard.sh https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Kamoj/.Download/addon_adguard.sh
  4. Switch ON AdGuard Home (Select DNS Filter/Encryption: Adguard Home)
  5. Reboot router
Hope to get your feedback and appreciation if it works for you as well ;-)

I was going to post this as well. I am not able to ping for example google.com from my Mac, but I am able to do it via the Router Prompt. Adguard Home does work, like I can test upstreams and apply, but none of my requests are going to AGH. This all happens after a reboot of the router after setting it up.

We usually use port 5300 for DNS requests / server, and it works fine, some even use port 54.

@kamoj just made a post in this thread giving a warning that AGH is broken once again with the latest release v0.107.38 :(
And all Adguard versions newer than .29 are broken. That is a stretch. The last few releases of addon_adguard.sh are broken-ish.

And all Adguard versions newer than .29 are broken. That is a stretch. The last few releases of addon_adguard.sh are broken-ish.
I don't understand what you mean with "The last few releases".
The addon_adguard.sh has been un-changed for long time/many releases.
It's only that AGH keeps changing the configuration file that breaks it now and then.
You can diff this patch with older releases and see how little is changed (2 lines needed only).

Thank you for being active here in the forum!

(It does work for me when testing with Kamoj Add-on:230911-113400-5.5b35. I use no USB device and no pppoe.).
You can install it by:
  1. Install latest AdGuard home: Adguard Home: Install + "Download Latest Version"
  2. Switch off AdGuard Home (Select DNS Filter/Encryption: ⚠ None - Not recommended)
    Code:
    curl --fail --insecure -o /usr/bin/addon_adguard.sh https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Kamoj/.Download/addon_adguard.sh
  5. Reboot router
Kamoj,
You do know that in order to select Adguard Home (from None) in the GUI, Install needs to be checked. Otherwise, the Adguard Home botton is greyed out. Also, with b35, after selecting the Adguard Home button, the browser GUI would jump back to None, after a few seconds. I would have to select the Adguard Home button two more times (total of 3 button selects) for the button to stick.

Does deselecting the Adguard Install button trigger an action? Up until now, keeping Install selected would trigger a fresh download from github, without explicitly selecting 'Download Latest Version', after a reboot.

Thanks for the quick response.

You can install it by:
    Code:
  5. Reboot router
Thanks, Kamoj - patch is working - AGH works after reboot, however there is issue with Adguard Home button pointed by Nomobytes.

Kamoj,
You do know that in order to select Adguard Home (from None) in the GUI, Install needs to be checked. Otherwise, the Adguard Home botton is greyed out. Also, with b35, after selecting the Adguard Home button, the browser GUI would jump back to None, after a few seconds. I would have to select the Adguard Home button two more times (total of 3 button selects) for the button to stick.

Does deselecting the Adguard Install button trigger an action? Up until now, keeping Install selected would trigger a fresh download from github, without explicitly selecting 'Download Latest Version', after a reboot.

Thanks for the quick response.
And when the button jumps back to None the log (/var/log/AdGuardHome.log) shows
Code:
[2023-09-26 18:46:38] adguard terminated by operator trigged addon

You can install it by:
    Code:
  5. Reboot router
On reboot it dies-
Code:
root@HAL9000:/tmp/log$ addon_adguard.sh stop
mkdir: cannot create directory '/opt/': No such file or directory
Starting Firewall...
Done!

On reboot it dies-
Code:
root@HAL9000:/tmp/log$ addon_adguard.sh stop
Starting Firewall...
Done!
Note that I never had to deal with
Code:
opt -> /tmp/opt
as I have been using a USB drive for years, but disconnected it to participate in testing.
Residual nvram issues?
Code:
root@HAL9000:/$ nvram show |grep -i adguard
kamoj_wait_for_internet_adguard=11
kamoj_adguard_home=2
kamoj_adguard_extended_logging=1

Note that I had to go through the setup process and selected 8080 and 5300 as usual.
At least the /tmp/addons has these port values but adguard is dead and down.
I would try the addon_adguard.sh stop and start commands now but I can't cd to opt-
Code:
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$ addon_adguard.sh stop
Starting Firewall...
Done!
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$ addon_adguard.sh start
/usr/bin/addon_adguard.sh: /usr/bin/addon_adguard.sh: 555: cannot create /opt/scripts/firewall-start-adguardhome.sh: Directory nonexistent
/usr/bin/addon_adguard.sh: /usr/bin/addon_adguard.sh: 555: cannot create /opt/scripts/firewall-start-adguardhome.sh: Directory nonexistent
chmod: /opt/scripts/firewall-start-adguardhome.sh: No such file or directory
Starting Firewall...
Done!

Last edited:
I rebooted the R9000 with USB connected and verbose logging enabled, and although supervision is not enabled, the addon_supervision.log shows this:
Code:
2023-09-26 21:03:30 38.19 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Install
2023-09-26 21:03:30 38.22 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Installable files are missing. Internet is UP. Try to download:
2023-09-26 21:03:30 38.23 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: Internet is UP. addon_adguard.sh: adguard_download_and_install.
2023-09-26 21:03:30 38.24 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Installer
2023-09-26 21:03:31 38.33 [aegis] addon_aegis.sh 10549: Aegis: Internet is UP
2023-09-26 21:03:35 42.30 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Installer OK
2023-09-26 21:03:35 42.32 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Start
So we see that your addon will automatically try to download the latest AGH installation file and then forces the installer script, again, at port 3000 even though the gui is pointing to 8080. So I will run through the installer script once again, verify that adguard is up and reboot...
The gui completes, I launch into the query log but nothing is logging and I can't send this post until I invoke the addon_adguard.sh manually.
Code:
Starting Firewall...
Done!
Starting Firewall...
Done!
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$
And I knew this would work because I have good values-
Code:
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$ cat firewall-start-adguardhome.sh
#!/bin/sh
iptables -w -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.1.10.1:5300
iptables -w -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.1.10.1:5300
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$ cat adguard_bind_port_www
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$ cat adguard_port_dns
And I'm up!

I rebooted the R9000 with USB connected and verbose logging enabled, and although supervision is not enabled, the addon_supervision.log shows this:
Code:
2023-09-26 21:03:30 38.19 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Install
2023-09-26 21:03:30 38.22 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Installable files are missing. Internet is UP. Try to download:
2023-09-26 21:03:30 38.23 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: Internet is UP. addon_adguard.sh: adguard_download_and_install.
2023-09-26 21:03:30 38.24 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Installer
2023-09-26 21:03:31 38.33 [aegis] addon_aegis.sh 10549: Aegis: Internet is UP
2023-09-26 21:03:35 42.30 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Installer OK
2023-09-26 21:03:35 42.32 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9111: AdGuard Home: Start
So we see that your addon will automatically try to download the latest AGH installation file and then forces the installer script, again, at port 3000 even though the gui is pointing to 8080. So I will run through the installer script once again, verify that adguard is up and reboot...
The gui completes, I launch into the query log but nothing is logging and I can't send this post until I invoke the addon_adguard.sh manually.
Code:
Starting Firewall...
Done!
Starting Firewall...
Done!
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$
And I knew this would work because I have good values-
Code:
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$ cat firewall-start-adguardhome.sh
#!/bin/sh
iptables -w -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.1.10.1:5300
iptables -w -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.1.10.1:5300
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$ cat adguard_bind_port_www
root@HAL9000:/tmp/addons$ cat adguard_port_dns
And I'm up!
On subsequent reboots adguard doesn't automatically come up, and the supervision log can't see my drive
Code:
2023-09-26 21:50:10 37.10 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9332: Router boot finished after 37.08 seconds
2023-09-26 21:50:11 37.11 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9332: start
2023-09-26 21:50:11 37.12 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9332: save_boot_logs
2023-09-26 21:50:11 37.28 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9332: *INFO:No usable USB device found. Using router internal storage at: /
2023-09-26 21:50:11 37.29 [ADDONS] addons.sh 9332: Device DEV=sda, Mounted as USB at=/, with label=
So I manually invoke addon_adguard.sh stop, addon_adguard.sh start.
Netxt I will try to toggle adguard from the gui, following a reboot.

Following a reboot, AGH will come up after you hit-

'Restore Config from USB'

This is using @kamoj's patched addon_adguard.sh script, (whereas using the unpatched version will generate the erroneous values as I documented above.

[Note that following a reboot AGH setup is listening on port 3000, so you need to restore from USB, where you presumably backed up your desired configuration.

Thanks @kamoj , we are almost there.

-nomobytes

Last edited:
So there is no workaround. You were good for only one reboot. Correct? And you never requested a download of the latest version from the GUI. Do you recall which version of kamoj-addon survived a reboot?
When I did the .29 workaround, yes it survived one boot, then it was the latest .38 version I believe, then another reboot after that then AGH is broken doesnt work.
When you have lost internet access are you able to check out the DNS and WWW ports from the /tmp/addons directory and cat the firewall-start-adguardhome.sh, adguard_port_dns, and adguard_bind_port_www for bad values? As you recall "6060.5300" is not a valid DNAT value. And I assume that the AdguardHome URL does not point to x.x.x.x:8080, but rather x.x.x.x.
Sorry I didnt check this.

You can install it by:
    Code:
  5. Reboot router
Thank you so much!! Rebooted and worked well, AGH is able to start up after a reboot :) still using your .yaml file, which has alot of block lists and white lists (good idea), username and password is the default x and x but I dont mind, will be using this to test, will do another reboot to be sure, but everything is working :)

I did notice the link to Adguard Home has been fixed after the reboot as well :) it shows the port :8080 before it would just be the main LAN Address.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 11.43.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 11.43.29 PM.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 19
When I did the .29 workaround, yes it survived one boot, then it was the latest .38 version I believe, then another reboot after that then AGH is broken doesnt work.

Sorry I didnt check this.I still have to issue an AGH start or restore from usb

I did notice the link to Adguard Home has been fixed after the reboot as well :) it shows the port :8080 before it would just be the main LAN Address.

You can install it by:
    Code:
  5. Reboot router
Kamoj,

With your patch, AGH will not attempt to start following a reboot, without manual operator intervention. Nothing fails, but nothing starts, unless its manually triggered by 'restore from USB' or a start command.

Without USB, opt is not created (can't cd to /tmp/opt) And I have played with the wait delays as you have advised other members.

I appreciate your hard work and dedication over the years.

Regards,
nomobytes

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2023-11-11 5.5b36
---------------------------------------------------------------
- AdGuard Home: Adapted addon to comply with Adguard Home changes, e.g. a new AGH yaml file style.
The AdGuard Home version v0.107.38 broke the add-on function of AdGuard Home.
Now tested and working with v0.107.40. Reboot router 2 times if its not working.
More changes to the addon is ongoing, to better adapt to the constantly changing Adguard Home application.
- OpenVPN Client : Added: Ivacy
- OpenVPN Client : Fixed to work again: PureVPN
- Aegis: Corrected directory for restore of own lists from USB
- Configurable wait for time synchronization at boot before starting addons.sh
Supervision: BOOT SETTINGS: Max wait time for time synchronization: Addon start/Router boot
- Added a first level of enhanced supervision of DNS using netcat as suggested by (@R. Gerrits):
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...0-r8900-r9000-with-voxel-fw.76440/post-820292
- Added enhanced supervision for: dnscrypt2, stubby, adguard, dnsmasq - to avoid false detections.
- Router Information: DNSCrypt Proxy v2: Added # of blacklisted.
- Added generation of DSS keys to ssh_keys_install.sh
- Minor enhancements and editorial changes

I installed first, Router Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.4.71HF then Kamoj Add-on V5.5b36 - I did not use a USB to save the WG or OVPN config files, nor the stats from the AGH. Did just a dirty install over the older kamoj addon. All is working perfectly :) I do have scheduled power outages in my area so will test the "BOOT SETTINGS: Max wait time for time synchronization: Addon start/Router boot" when my power comes back on and the R9000 waits for my PPPoE to dial in when my VDSL modem gets in sync (trains).

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2023-11-11 5.5b36
---------------------------------------------------------------
- AdGuard Home: Adapted addon to comply with Adguard Home changes, e.g. a new AGH yaml file style.
The AdGuard Home version v0.107.38 broke the add-on function of AdGuard Home.
Now tested and working with v0.107.40. Reboot router 2 times if its not working.
More changes to the addon is ongoing, to better adapt to the constantly changing Adguard Home application.
- OpenVPN Client : Added: Ivacy
- OpenVPN Client : Fixed to work again: PureVPN
- Aegis: Corrected directory for restore of own lists from USB
- Configurable wait for time synchronization at boot before starting addons.sh
Supervision: BOOT SETTINGS: Max wait time for time synchronization: Addon start/Router boot
- Added a first level of enhanced supervision of DNS using netcat as suggested by (@R. Gerrits):
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...0-r8900-r9000-with-voxel-fw.76440/post-820292
- Added enhanced supervision for: dnscrypt2, stubby, adguard, dnsmasq - to avoid false detections.
- Router Information: DNSCrypt Proxy v2: Added # of blacklisted.
- Added generation of DSS keys to ssh_keys_install.sh
- Minor enhancements and editorial changes
Thx @kamoj

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!