What's new

KILLMON KILLMON v1.1.2 -Feb 29, 2024- IP4/IP6 VPN Kill Switch Monitor & Configurator (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Viktor, do you have a script that would notify you if Killmon encounters a problem or stops working?
No... it's pretty simple at this point. You'd need to check on it every so often. In the next release, I'm planning on making it do a check every 60 seconds or so to determine if rules need to be reapplied. And might possibly also build something into VPNMON-R3 that would be able to call on KILLMON to reapply its rules. I've not decided yet. ;)

No... it's pretty simple at this point. You'd need to check on it every so often. In the next release, I'm planning on making it do a check every 60 seconds or so to determine if rules need to be reapplied. And might possibly also build something into VPNMON-R3 that would be able to call on KILLMON to reapply its rules. I've not decided yet. ;)
That would be great, when a new release comes out, I assume, need to uninstall current and install new release from AMTM.?

That would be great, when a new release comes out, I assume, need to uninstall current and install new release from AMTM.?
It would just over-install on top of it... easy-peasy. :)

Hi, I'm currently trying to get Killmon to work because the kill switch with OpenVPN doesn't work for me... and I'd actually prefer to use Wireguard anyway

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work for me with either OpenVPN or Wireguard. After I switch off the VPN, my test client surfs over the normal WAN

Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    148.1 KB · Views: 25
Hi, I'm currently trying to get Killmon to work because the kill switch with OpenVPN doesn't work for me... and I'd actually prefer to use Wireguard anyway

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work for me with either OpenVPN or Wireguard. After I switch off the VPN, my test client surfs over the normal WAN

Am I doing something wrong?
It's hard to tell what's going on from the image you pasted... but try disabling Wireguard... perhaps it's getting out over that. Also, disable your VPN killswitch on the VPN client slot web UI side? Try to make this as clean as possible... remember, if you enable/disable/restart anything major, like firewall or other VPN/WG interfaces, it could possibly mess with the iptables, and bork your settings... which would require you to disable/re-enable the KILLMON killswitch settings.

Last edited:
Good morning, what would cause the timeout errors below.

Selection: mc

timeout: warning: timer_create: Resource temporarily unavailable
__ __ ______ __ __ _______ _ __

Good morning, what would cause the timeout errors below.

Does it do this each time you run the script? Do you have a lack of resources available? Have you looked at the top/htop utility? Have you rebooted? You may need to uninstall/reinstall the "timeout" command?

it happens whenever I perform a command, no reboot. uninstall/reinstall killmon?, or how do you uninstall/reinstall timeout command? I don't think I have any resource problem
whenever a I perform a command, I'll received the messages first.

it happens whenever I perform a command, no reboot. uninstall/reinstall killmon?, or how do you uninstall/reinstall timeout command? I don't think I have any resource problem
whenever a I perform a command, I'll received the messages first.
What do you mean by "whenever I perform a command"? Can you give an example? Are you seeing any other kinds of errors in your syslog?

@audioquest

Did you try a reboot?
Did you see anything in your syslog when this happens?

It just seems like something low-level in your OS is malfunctioning, and can't even get the "timeout" command working correctly.

In order to reinstall timeout, go into killmon setup -> fr (force reinstall entware dependencies). Try rebooting afterwards.

Let me know what happens after all this?

@audioquest

Did you try a reboot?
Did you see anything in your syslog when this happens?

It just seems like something low-level in your OS is malfunctioning, and can't even get the "timeout" command working correctly.

In order to reinstall timeout, go into killmon setup -> fr (force reinstall entware dependencies). Try rebooting afterwards.

Let me know what happens after all this?
I forced a reinstall, rebooted the router, still receiving timeouts, but after mulitple timeout messages the command does complete

mc - see timeout errors, , then the function I enter does complete. Example enter mc or sh , see errors then the output of the request does complete

I forced a reinstall, rebooted the router, still receiving timeouts, but after mulitple timeout messages the command does complete

mc - see timeout errors, , then the function I enter does complete. Example enter mc or sh , see errors then the output of the request does complete

Well something isn't right with that... can't find a lot of info on this particular error either. Do you see any other strange issues in your syslog? Anything about any binaries being tainted?

@ColinTaylor ... you ever see anything like this? Could you please suggest some other ways to troubleshoot why the timeout binary is acting like this?

@ColinTaylor ... you ever see anything like this? Could you please suggest some other ways to troubleshoot why the timeout binary is acting like this?

I've not seen that error in relation to timeout, but that's because I've never really used timeout for anything. The error message is generic (EAGAIN) and often means the system is overloaded in some way. That's usually too many running processes or there's a hardware issue causing IOs (or some other form of interrupt) to queue up. The timeout man page says:
Rich (BB code):
       EAGAIN Temporary error during kernel allocation of timer
              structures.

This type of error usually indicates that the process has reached the limit of some particular system resource as defined by the kernel limits (see "ulimit -a"). In the case of the "timeout" command, it could be that the maximum number of pending signals was reached at some point, or perhaps the maximum number of processes was reached.

Without debugging the actual running process in real-time, it can be difficult to tell exactly what the root cause is.

When the problem happens & if you're lucky to catch the process while it's still running, type the following command:
Bash:
[ -n "$(pidof timeout)" ] && cat "/proc/$(pidof timeout | awk -F ' ' '{print $1}')/limits"

To get an example of the expected output type the following command:
Bash:
cat "/proc/$(pidof dnsmasq | awk -F ' ' '{print $1}')/limits"

My 2 cents.

When the problem happens & if you're lucky to catch the process while it's still running, type the following command:
Bash:
[ -n "$(pidof timeout)" ] && cat "/proc/$(pidof timeout | awk -F ' ' '{print $1}')/limits"
By itself I don't think limits would provide the necessary information. It's unlikely the process is changing its maximum limits so they'll be the same as every other process.
Code:
# cat /proc/1/limits
Limit                     Soft Limit           Hard Limit           Units
Max cpu time              unlimited            unlimited            seconds
Max file size             unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max data size             unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max stack size            2097152              unlimited            bytes
Max core file size        0                    unlimited            bytes
Max resident set          unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max processes             3647                 3647                 processes
Max open files            1024                 4096                 files
Max locked memory         65536                65536                bytes
Max address space         unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max file locks            unlimited            unlimited            locks
Max pending signals       3647                 3647                 signals
Max msgqueue size         819200               819200               bytes
Max nice priority         0                    0
Max realtime priority     0                    0
Max realtime timeout      unlimited            unlimited            us
What would probably be more interesting is seeing status, in particular SigQ.
Code:
# for pid in $(pidof timeout); do grep SigQ /proc/$pid/status; done

Last edited:
@audioquest ... please run these statements above when you're experiencing the issue, and post your results

By itself I don't think limits would provide the necessary information. It's unlikely the process is changing its maximum limits so they'll be the same as every other process.
What would probably be more interesting is seeing status, in particular SigQ.
Code:
# grep SigQ /proc/$(pidof timeout | awk -F ' ' '{print $1}')/status
SigQ:   0/3647
Yes, good point. When I ran the command "ulimit -a" on my RT-AC86U, no entry for "pending signals" was found at all. I ran the same command in more recent AX-class models running F/W 388.6_2 versions and no "pending signals" entry was listed either, so the alternative to get all current limits was to execute a command like this one:
Bash:
cat "/proc/$(pidof dnsmasq | awk -F ' ' '{print $1}')/limits"
Then I thought it would be interesting to send the same command for the "timeout" cmd when the reported problem happens just to see if the output was indeed the same (when executed on the same router).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!