What's new

Known "quirk" of USB adapters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Q-BZ

Occasional Visitor
Hi gang. :)

Long/short: We've been using a combo of a DLink DGL 4500 router and on the second computer a couple of floors down the companion USB adapter, DWA-160. Been very happy with it.

Is it a fairly known quirk of network USB adapters to somehow negatively affect computer performance? For example, let's say you are looking around your hard drive and you watch this "lag" take place and things run a bit slower than they should?

I've ruled out any issues with the machine itself hardware and software wise.

Hi gang. :)

Long/short: We've been using a combo of a DLink DGL 4500 router and on the second computer a couple of floors down the companion USB adapter, DWA-160. Been very happy with it.

Is it a fairly known quirk of network USB adapters to somehow negatively affect computer performance? For example, let's say you are looking around your hard drive and you watch this "lag" take place and things run a bit slower than they should?

I've ruled out any issues with the machine itself hardware and software wise.

Do you have the latest driver for your USB wireless adapter? I've had a couple of these, not the D-Link one, though, and haven't noticed that they introduce lag on my systems.

I suppose that this might be some kind of incompatibility between your USB adapter driver and your system...again, haven't run into that.

If you have the latest driver, you might try uninstalling it and re-installing it.

By the way, how's the wireless throughput using this adapter?

I use USB to serial quite a bit, and never seen a CPU load impact.

Threecomments....
1. I've found that for a single port adapter, products that use FTDI's chipset and operating system drivers are the only products that consistently work properly.

2. Where I need 4 or more serial ports via USB, I found a reliable driver/product from inside-out-networks who I think is now owned by Digi. These can be had on eBay.

3. Windows XP and maybe later has a well known bug... where if there is serial data arriving on any port, including a USB derived serial port (COMn), and this is arriving during windows' bootup, an incorrect decision is made that the device is a serial mouse. This hoses up things later.

Do you have the latest driver for your USB wireless adapter? I've had a couple of these, not the D-Link one, though, and haven't noticed that they introduce lag on my systems.

I suppose that this might be some kind of incompatibility between your USB adapter driver and your system...again, haven't run into that.

If you have the latest driver, you might try uninstalling it and re-installing it.

By the way, how's the wireless throughput using this adapter?

We have the latest driver. We deliberately unplugged the USB adapter for the day and my sister used the computer for her Adobe work and other things like she usually does and she told me it's noticeably better so clearly there's something going on here between that adapter and the computer.

Wireless throughput of DWA 160:

http://www.shadowandy.net/2009/03/dwa-160-throughput-test.htm

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...nsive-worth-itd-link-dir-855-reviewed?start=3

DWA 160 is used in that review.