What's new

Large House - Need Help Picking Right Setup for Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nookers420

New Around Here
I am hoping one of you fine people can finally help me with my problem, ive read many webpages to no avail .. although the reviews and guides are very detailed .. im not sure which way to go. Recently my DIR-615 died .. so I want to get this right before making my purchase.

I live in a large home 3000 Sq/Ft .. My cable company hooked up the internet to the top floor in the office .. but I live and work from the basemint

What I want is the best solution to reach the basemint .. with the DIR-615 I only got 1-2 bars and the connection was crap if I wanted to play games in the basemint .. it flat out didnt work .. very lagged.

What is the best router with or without access point to reach 60% or more throughput in the basemint?

Any guides . advice would be greatly appreciated.
:confused::confused:

I am hoping one of you fine people can finally help me with my problem, ive read many webpages to no avail .. although the reviews and guides are very detailed .. im not sure which way to go. Recently my DIR-615 died .. so I want to get this right before making my purchase.

I live in a large home 3000 Sq/Ft .. My cable company hooked up the internet to the top floor in the office .. but I live and work from the basemint

What I want is the best solution to reach the basemint .. with the DIR-615 I only got 1-2 bars and the connection was crap if I wanted to play games in the basemint .. it flat out didnt work .. very lagged.

What is the best router with or without access point to reach 60% or more throughput in the basemint?

Any guides . advice would be greatly appreciated.
:confused::confused:

Well I build my network from the basement (network closet) in the family room as the main cable line comes into the basement closest to the box outside thus better overhaul throughput. But I found that placing the wireless router in the closet had caused issues with the signal. So on my next remodeled project I had placed the main router outside the closet over the door (Belkin N+ in 802.11n mod only). Thus the signal can cover the family room (basement) and main floor to the second floor. But I have older house so I need second access point so I use the DIR-655 in 802.11n mode for that that's in my SOHO. I also use two Buffalo Access Point Routers on the main floor (1 in the living room) and (1 in the kitchen/dining room) this is only for 802.11g mode.

Again if you have older house then you'll need to wireless devices. Most of these routers today support Wireless Access Point. The Belkin N+ does, dlink models don't you have to do a trick mode to get it to work but that's easy. Belkin N+ range is 1,200FT. There are routers or access points that cover 5,000 to 10,000 sq feet. These cost more though. If you don't want to go that route then Belkin, Dlink or Netgear latest one should be all that you need? But you'll still need to test your environment at your place for the best coverage.

I definatly want wireless but I dont want to do any rewiring .. rogers takes forever to come and do that.

I just want a good range N-router Wireless ..

Any suggestions?

You can also look @ Ruckus Wireless and Pepwave.

Ruckus works with a fancy patented antenna design that seems to really work. The good thing is that it works well with many existing wifi client cards in PC's.

Keep in mind that many of the high power solutions, Pepwave, Buffalo, Luxul, etc. will require you get a high power client in order to send back a strong enough signal for the router to pickup. Wireless is two way, if the router has 4x more transmit power, your client likely needs 4x the transmit power to send a reliable signal back.

If you want to see if a typical consumer router will work, your best bet is to try the new Netgear WNDR3700. Its dual band, but you'll want to focus on its 2.4Ghz performance which according to Tim's review was actually quite good.

You can also look @ Ruckus Wireless and Pepwave.

Ruckus works with a fancy patented antenna design that seems to really work. The good thing is that it works well with many existing wifi client cards in PC's.

Keep in mind that many of the high power solutions, Pepwave, Buffalo, Luxul, etc. will require you get a high power client in order to send back a strong enough signal for the router to pickup. Wireless is two way, if the router has 4x more transmit power, your client likely needs 4x the transmit power to send a reliable signal back.

If you want to see if a typical consumer router will work, your best bet is to try the new Netgear WNDR3700. Its dual band, but you'll want to focus on its 2.4Ghz performance which according to Tim's review was actually quite good.

Wasn't there issues with the Ruckus?

Wasn't there issues with the Ruckus?

Ruckus did well in this recent review of their enterprise equipment.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/beamforming-wifi-ruckus,2390.html

The reviewer also touched on the consumer product at the end of the review, but he focused on the 5Ghz AP.

I now see that Ruckus AP's are also higher power than typical consumer so I suspect it also will require the matching Ruckus client for maximum performance. I have heard from a couple people using the Ruckus 2825 G router and their claims that it works very well with standard built-in wifi clients.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.... especially when it comes to wireless!

I do everything I can to wire and when necessary use multiple AP's to cover multi story houses. Wireless can be such a pain when trying to cover a large area with a single unit.

Ruckus did well in this recent review of their enterprise equipment.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/beamforming-wifi-ruckus,2390.html

The reviewer also touched on the consumer product at the end of the review, but he focused on the 5Ghz AP.

I now see that Ruckus AP's are also higher power than typical consumer so I suspect it also will require the matching Ruckus client for maximum performance. I have heard from a couple people using the Ruckus 2825 G router and their claims that it works very well with standard built-in wifi clients.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.... especially when it comes to wireless!

I do everything I can to wire and when necessary use multiple AP's to cover multi story houses. Wireless can be such a pain when trying to cover a large area with a single unit.

Yes I did read that review a while back. I still have doubts that such a product would fulfill everything, but in life that's not true when it comes to wireless even gone as far to use DECT 6.0 (1.9GHz) cordless phones. So everything wireless can play nice in the house. :)

Take a look at this funny moment in wireless
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1472671~823857a241219c1ed32d7f6210e5d998/pic00041.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!