What's new

Latency spikes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kapekohicafe

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Is this normal? I am testing 1m away from the router. Testing from iPhone11 in 5ghz band.

By the way, i already did the reset recommended for new routers.

Thank you!

Attachments

• A1B9B007-A66F-4696-ADFD-6CE737F0F72F.png
    A1B9B007-A66F-4696-ADFD-6CE737F0F72F.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 203
No, of course not normal.

Try testing from 3M instead (you're much too close right now).

After the reset (what method did you use), did you use a saved backup config file? What settings did you change past defaults? What features did you enable?

Hi L&LD,

I've tested from 5m away too and I've got the same latency spikes.

I actually used the steps you provided (New M&M 2020). I have been reading a lot from SNB for a month now :)

As mentioned, I've set up my router from scratch without any config file backup. As for the features, I haven't enabled anything as I wanted to test the router out of the box without any changes in the router's configuration.

By the way, I am already considering returning my RT-AX86U for RT-AX88U as you and merlin are both using AX88U.

Thank you!
Kohi

If you're testing 'out of the box', that could be the issue too. :)

All the defaults are not best practice, out of the box.

Please note my signature is in limbo for a while. I'm actually using 2x RT-AX86U's in wired AiMesh mode on RMerlin 386.1 Beta 4 (and eagerly waiting for B5).

For stability, the RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U are equal (which is to say, excellent), for the short time I've been using the latter. For network performance, the RT-AX86U is a step up from the older AX king.

Okay, that's good to know. I will be testing with additional features later on and will see if I will still have these spikes.
In the meantime, since you're using AX86U, do you experience any spikes from your end?

That concludes it, I will be sticking with AX86U :D Thanks for your input!

Hi,

Ive tested with aiprotection, traffic analyzer woth no QOS enabled but i still have the spikes in latency.

Also, ive tested with an AC wifi device and i got spikes as well. I thought earlier that i only have these spikes in ax devices but now it seems that it doesnt matter what device im testing from.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!