What's new

Solved Latest entware update borked up Unbound

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Viktor Jaep

Part of the Furniture
Bah. Just saw that some entware updates became available today (Feb 24, 2024), and has totally borked up my unbound install... Still at the beginning phases of troubleshooting this... will be uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling/rebooting next.

Code:
09:27:20 Checking 'unbound.conf' etc. for valid Syntax.....
09:27:20 Requesting unbound (S61unbound) restart.....
 Starting unbound...              done.
09:27:20 Checking status, please wait.....

***ERROR unbound went AWOL after 1 seconds.....

Try option 'debug' and check for unbound.conf or runtime errors!

Code:
[1708784845] unbound-control[4780:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
        'key-cache-size:'        (N/A)
[1708784845] unbound-control[4786:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
[1708784845] unbound-control[4788:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
        'msg-cache-size:'        (N/A)  0% used         (N/A)
[1708784845] unbound-control[4802:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
[1708784845] unbound-control[4804:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
        'rrset-cache-size:'      (N/A)  0% used         (N/A)

Bah. Just saw that some entware updates became available today (Feb 24, 2024), and has totally borked up my unbound install... Still at the beginning phases of troubleshooting this... will be uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling/rebooting next.

Code:

Code:
[1708784845] unbound-control[4780:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
[1708784845] unbound-control[4786:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
[1708784845] unbound-control[4788:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
[1708784845] unbound-control[4802:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
[1708784845] unbound-control[4804:0] error: connect: Connection refused for 127.0.0.1 port 953
Try this:
  1. rm /tmp/unound.lock
  2. Launch unbound_manager
  3. Select option 1 to update unbound

Simply stop unbound, update entware, reinstall unbonds

Try this:
  1. rm /tmp/unound.lock
This is what I did. Need to re-install unbound. No need to reboot

Code:

Code:
To avoid issue:
  1. Launch unbound_manager
  2. Select option 3 to stop unbound
  3. Exit unbound_manager
  4. Update entware
  5. Launch unbound_manager
  6. Select option 1 to update unbound

Try this:
  1. rm /tmp/unound.lock
Thanks @visortgw! That seemed to do the trick! Nice save!

I noticed AMTM stopping unbound on its own, so I thought I was good there. There was no lock file to be found, but using option 1 and re-initializing everything made it come back to life! :)

Thanks @visortgw! That seemed to do the trick! Nice save!

I noticed AMTM stopping unbound on its own, so I thought I was good there. There was no lock file to be found, but using option 1 and re-initializing everything made it come back to life! :)
I'm guessing that there's something in the background that isn't terminated. Mine had a lock file.

I HAVE LEARNED TO EXPECT A "GOTCHA" WHENEVER UPDATING ENTWARE. No blame to either @thelonelycoder or entware developers as there are so many differences in individual router configurations and their use of entware packages.

Last edited:
I HAVE LEARNED TO EXPECT A "GOTCHA" WHENEVER UPDATING ENTWARE. No blame to either @thelonelycoder or entware developers as there are so many differences in individual router configurations and their use of enware packages.
Unfortunately it seems like a roll-of-the-dice at times... but it's a necessary evil to determine if anything in my scripts has now been broken or suffering from some loss of functionality due to deprecation. Backupmon was on standby and ready to rock in case I couldn't get back to square 1 though! :p

When I run u, update via amtm, no Entware update shows. If I call ep, again no update shows.

Was it pulled?

When I run u, update via amtm, no Entware update shows. If I call ep, again no update shows.

Was it pulled?
Can you try showing a different entware server? What's yours set to? Using "bin.entware.net" over here.

Was it pulled?
My mirror takes a while to update. I’m not aggressive with checking for changes. It kicked off though. Might take a couple of hours to finish.

My mirror takes a while to update. I’m not aggressive with checking for changes. It kicked off though. Might take a couple of hours to finish.
Was just going to tag you, as I just checked and thought you had a reason to consider...

No Entware 02.24.2024.JPG

I just wanted to post this in the original unbound thread, but I got a denial because it's been longer than six months since anything was posted. So here it is. 😀

First of all, my apologies for bringing this thread back from total oblivion. So please, be merciful with me.
Can anyone say why interest and further development have apparently dwindled here? After all, four years have passed since the last post. Did it die because the developer @Martineau lost interest? Because from my point of view, it's still a great project!

Can anyone say why interest and further development have apparently dwindled here
What more needs to be done there?

What more needs to be done there?
Well, I see that other projects, such as Diversion, are constantly being developed? So you're saying there's nothing more to do there?

This issue with updating entware/unbound borking has been around for quite some time.

We should pin @visortgw post above in the Unbound thread - this process seems to do the trick.

This issue with updating entware/unbound borking has been around for quite some time.
I thought if you did this through amtm it stopped the process, updated, and restarted it, which is what @visortgw has laid out. No?

So you're saying there's nothing more to do there?
There don't seem to be outstanding issues to solve, so far as I know.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!