What's new

latest merlin & aimesh on AX86U not working.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerSteve

I have tried to add mesh nodes on the latest firmware 386.5_2 on my AX86U. The nodes (AX55's) do not appear in the list of nodes to be added. If I downgrade back to firmware 386.2_6 then it works.

I have tried to add mesh nodes on the latest firmware 386.5_2 on my AX86U. The nodes (AX55's) do not appear in the list of nodes to be added. If I downgrade back to firmware 386.2_6 then it works.
I had to try half a dozen times or more to get an AC66U b1 to mesh with AX86U. Finally succeeded with the node Ethernet connected to the router. On Asus firmware, bam, first try!

I had to try half a dozen times or more to get an AC66U b1 to mesh with AX86U. Finally succeeded with the node Ethernet connected to the router. On Asus firmware, bam, first try!
As soon as I downgrade it works. It isn't working on the latest release.

If you want stable AiMesh with mixed generations or models routers, use stock Asuswrt. In my experience, something breaks AiMesh compatibility in Asuswrt-Merlin. The issue is present almost immediately on mixed AX/AC AiMesh. You may try wired node discovery as possible workaround.

Using RT-AX86U as main and 2 RT-AX56U as nodes, it was impossible to detect the nodes (tried more than 10 times or so with reset) until I plugged an RJ45 cable between the WAN port of the node to a LAN port on the main ... then it was detected in seconds. All running Merlin 386.5_2.
So far this set-up is working very fine.

Sometime ago I had the same problem. Reverted back to stock firmware and node showed up immediately.
After setting up the node, reinstalled Merlin and node stays connected.

There has to be 'something' in the merlin version breaking the lookup of nodes on the lan.

I am having this issue as well..I will try wired discover but I have my doubts

I am having this issue as well..I will try wired discover but I have my doubts
I am going to try putting stock firmware on the 'nodes' and see if I can connect with Merlin on the primary...if not I will revert all back to stock

definitely the merlin firmware, flashed both to stock and no issues...

In my experience (over last couple of years of testing and changing) the most stable AiMesh setup and operation is:

1. Good spec / recent model as main router - I use RT-AX86S running merlin
2. all nodes factory reset and running latest stock asus FW. Reset one last time after installing latest stock
3. add a node one at a time through main router GUI. Connect node via ethernet from WAN (on node) to ethernet on main router
4. wait 5 mins then disconnect ethernet and node will switch to wifi backhaul. Reboot node to confirm node reconnects on wifi.
5. Move node to desired location in house.
6. repeat 3-5 for each node
7. once all nodes connected and stable do a full AImesh system reboot

This process works well for me and I have 3 nodes - 2 are AX58U and one is a AC68U

definitely the merlin firmware, flashed both to stock and no issues...
I can confirm both posts above accord with my own experience - however the "stock" response is that AiMesh is closed source - so best live with it!

I settled on Merlin throughout due to the features and addons which I have grown to enjoy ... and simply use Ethernet backhaul between main router and each node.

The aimesh code is closed source, so hard to say if something with merlin breaks it. I will tell you for a long time now
, Its almost guaranteed I have to hook the node up via cable to add it first. Even if its 5' away. It will always say "failed, someone else is trying to connect this node"

I've had similar experience with latest released Merlin for AX88U. Running Merlin on the Router, stock Asus on nodes in AI Mesh. I've had success setting it up with ethernet plugged in, then moving the node. AC86U is wired backhaul and AC55 is wifi backhaul.

Main AX88U - Merlin 386.5_2
Mesh RT-AC86U 3.0.0.4.386_46092
Mesh RP-AC55 3.0.0.4.384_83577

i think it can work, it just seems to be the 'discovery' and initial set up of the AiMesh. I even had them plugged into the main router directly and they still were not able to discover the nodes. I have heard success of flashing to Merlin AFTER setting up Aimesh. I might try that at a later date....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!