What's new

Linksys Announces Velop Mesh Wi-Fi System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can these be used like this?
14993286_1256100271119363_3067062263364902345_n.jpg
Not that you would want to. Bandwidth to the last one in the chain will be pretty low.

I know two mesh nodes can do that. Not sure about the third.

Not that you would want to. Bandwidth to the last one in the chain will be pretty low.

I know two mesh nodes can do that. Not sure about the third.

I just wondering because it is said that the nodes can communicate with each other, without go over the router part first.

I just wondering because it is said that the nodes can communicate with each other, without go over the router part first.
I have confirmed that they can. I don't know if more than three nodes can be in a network.

I have confirmed that they can. I don't know if more than three nodes can be in a network.

Linksys told me they have had 10 nodes in a single configuration. Whether they had them in serial like this is another question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linksys told me they have had 10 nodes in a single configuration. Whether they had them in serial like this is another question.
If they can have a 10 node mesh, then they can connect as a chain if they are spaced far enough apart.

Velop AP has "3" 2x2 radios:
One 2.4 GHz and Two 5 GHz (867 Mbps + 867 Mbps + 400 Mbps).
support 256-QAM link rates.
Class rating = 2134 Mbps (2200).

Is the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz band then divided in 400/2 (200 + 200) and 867/2 (433 + 433) + 867 (433 + 433) or straight 400+867+867 Mbps?

It could have 450 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.
And NO backhaul over WIFI and cable?

"Velop can use Ethernet as backhaul, but this option isn't part of the current setup wizard. Just set everything up first using wireless backhaul, then connect the desired nodes to Ethernet."

Last edited:
It has three 2x2 radios. Same architecture as other "tri-band" products, just 2x2.

"We found during testing that clients could connect to either 5 GHz low band (36 - 48) or high band (149 - 165) channels."

What about CH 52-144 why cant they not connect to them, beside the DFS (ch 52-144) and Weather Radar (ch 120-128)?
mvF_pfXx-fK5SMbS0qTYhgJplF--p3VMQIhnclRVbCYxrQt6YEH0WmDVbUTCNCKq5FkDTH7TD55Ve_G0RZtPG4g7NR-JhgVCgXsya8xZaW1BYiCC_r9CH1uc5oKPj5rIOzoUm-x-

Last edited:
I'd like to know more about the middle 5GHz channels as well. Particularly for use in the USA. I've never seen a device that can properly do middle/DFS 5GHz channels here. Is it illegal? Is it worth trying to find a router/firmware that will do it? Assuming it's legal, of course.

I'd like to know more about the middle 5GHz channels as well. Particularly for use in the USA. I've never seen a device that can properly do middle/DFS 5GHz channels here. Is it illegal? Is it worth trying to find a router/firmware that will do it? Assuming it's legal, of course.

I've posted on their suggestions forums to support DFS. I've had some APs that support it but only ever had one that actually dynamically chose it (Engenius EAP1750H)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFS channels are not supported. It requires separate FCC certification.

A very clever way to exploit its solutions and a interesting product, that can be developed more.

Last edited:
I am intrigued by the Mesh systems that has come out the last year. But I cant really justify it yet, since my RT-N66U is still performing well enough. I have never had to reboot it due to network issues. Not once since i got it (when it was fairly new).

Do any of the mesh systems support PoE?