What's new

Linksys RV082 VPN Forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willlane

New Around Here
I have 2 routers (RV082). Main > 192.168.1.1 Branch > 192.168.10.1 I want to forward traffic coming from the WAN on the branch office, over the VPN to a server at the main office. Port forwarding forces me to use the .10 subnet. Traffic that hits the branch office from the web should be forwarded to the main office server... -will

I can't tell you if the router supports this, but if it lets you fully specify a DMZ, address, you could point it accordingly. The problems you run into though is that the Branch WAN traffic then arrives at the main office router as if sourced from the branch, rather than the internet. You'd need some complex route maps, which I don't think the RV0 does, to deal with this. You may want to look at having your DNS records direct the traffic to the main office from the beginning, and if someone needs to access something at the Branch, have a sub-domain entry that points there.

Tam

Well, let me tell you what I am trying to do...

I have 2 companys in the main office, sharing a web connection. For email they all use the same postfix server upstairs (192.168.1.10) which routes email to 2 different exchange servers (192.168.1.5, 192.168.5.2), where .5.x is in the downstairs of the main office.

Now, to do exchange mobile sync you HAVE to use port 443, BUT 443 is pointed to the 192.168.5.2 server, and now the people on the .1.x network need mobile exchange. SO

I want to point port 443 from the branch office (different WAN IP, LAN .10.x) to the exchange box on .1.5

There you have it...

It sounds if the RV0 doesn't let you specify more than just the final octet for port forwarding, you might be stuck or need to come up with a more creative solution than I can think of.

Basically, you're running into limitations of only having one public IP at a site. NAT is great, but it can only do so much.

Tam

Depending on your provider and options available, you may be able to get additional static IPs for a small monthly fee. Usually, this is 5-7 dollars a month, but it can vary. Qwest will offer a fair number, I believe Comcast will too, on their business services. But again, it depends on the provider. T-1s are great, but if the businesses are sharing their network resources already, it sounds like costs are a big concern, and T-1s are still $350 or so/month.

Tam