What's new

Linksys WRT54G is failing, looking for good replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

online2

New Around Here
My WRT54G V2 is giving up after all these years, I was thinking about going with the WRT54GL but not sure if it up to the task with all the stuff I have on the network now, my network is:

Hardwire:
1 PC with GBit NIC
1 PC with 10/100 NIC
1 Network Laser Printer
Last hardwire connection is usually used for when I'm working on other people PC's.

Wireless:
1 PS3 Slim
1 Wii
2 Wireless Laptops (both are G)
2 Wireless Desktops (Both are G, I do have N card, but currently not using it)
1 Ipod touch
Now all this stuff isn't necessary on all at the same time, but it could happen.
Router is on the main floor, some wireless PC are upstairs and some in the basement.
The Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH looks interesting also but don't really have any N in use right now.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

You can go with almost any G router. They are more alike than different.
If you want a bit more power, look at the Buffalo "HP" models. EnGenius also makes some higher-power routers.

I like the specs on EnGenius ESR9850, but I see where tipstir couldn't get it to work reliably. On newegg, I see 5 of 7 people gave it good review. It so much easier when I pick out my Linksys WRT54G years ago, you only had couple to choose from. ;)

I like the specs on EnGenius ESR9850, but I see where tipstir couldn't get it to work reliably. On newegg, I see 5 of 7 people gave it good review. It so much easier when I pick out my Linksys WRT54G years ago, you only had couple to choose from. ;)

It works just have to use mix mode for the wireless AP. If you want to use it as a router then you should be okay or both wireless. Check the firmware. Most are coming with 1.09. Try that first before you re-flash to 1.10. You can always downgrade back to the prior.

Now I see ESR9855 is out, thinking about trying to nurse the old router along and see how well ESR9855 does in reviews, I would assume it newer version of ESR9850. See few places already have it for sell.

Thanks Tim and Tipstir for the help.

If you want dual band dual radio, why not the WNDR3700?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!