What's new

Linksys WRT610N Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wrt610n

I purchased this router about 2 months now with no problems. 2.4ghz is mixed mode and 5ghz is N. I have 2 computers on 2.4 plus my neighbors. I have 2 xboxes on 5ghz. On 5ghz I am streaming movies on my xbox with no problems. I have a dect 6.0 cordless phone which make s a huge difference as far as interference. My connections are always stable.

Take your time and set up your router correctly :)

I've posted my system details on the Linksys support site if you want to look it over.
http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&thread.id=113812

It's highly unlikely that the disk subsystems and CPU of these systems are the bottleneck. Especially since I get the exact same results regardless of which of the three systems I test.

I do appreciate any ideas though. Just for giggles I have a D-Link DGS-2208 on the way that I'll use as an independent test device. Along with iperf tests.

I have a hunch that Linksys throttled down the switch chip in an attempt to avoid overheating the wireless chips with this unit.

Vidmo

I've posted my system details on the Linksys support site if you want to look it over.
http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&thread.id=113812
I don't see any info on the network adapters.

Try directly connecting with a regular CAT6 cable first. You don't need a crossover cable for gigabit NICs.

Highly unlikely that Linksys throttled the switch.
I measured about 700 Mbps between two machines with PCI based gigabit NICs through the 610's switch, which matches up with other gigabit switches. (The PCI-based NICs limit the speed.)

Wrt610n

This is the worst router ever. I used to be a huge fan of Linksys, but not anymore. Tech support is horrible and barely speak english, the unit drops signals. Way too over priced for a heap of fecal matter. Since cisco took over they are going in the trash. I have brought the last few models of the n routers. I brought this one to replace a dead WRT350N which was a little over a year old. That unit went dow due to a simple hard boot of power.

I don't see any info on the network adapters.

Ther server is running an NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra chipset
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_ultra.html

With with NVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_8451.html
http://techreport.com/articles.x/7655/15
"nForce4 Ultra the best combination of Ethernet throughput and CPU utilization of the lot"

Both System A and System B are running Realtek (RTL8111) Ethernet chips
(It's a bit hard to find much data on the performance characteristics of this chip.)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=11

All three systems are using the latest drivers form their respective manufactures: ie: nVidia and Realtek.

Vidmo

RTL8111 connects via PCIe. nVIDIA also doesn't use PCI.
They should fly.

Did you try the direct cable?

P.S. Please register if you are going to be a regular poster, Vidmo.

RTL8111 connects via PCIe. nVIDIA also doesn't use PCI.
They should fly.

Did you try the direct cable?

P.S. Please register if you are going to be a regular poster, Vidmo.

Sorry Tim, I should have done that some time ago.

I don't have direct tests yet. Tonight I will get some.

PS: I didn't know that you don't need a cross over cable with Gigabit Ethernet direct connects.

Vidmo

Latency "spikes" are common in wireless LAN products and in some draft 11n products in particular.

If you look at the IxChariot throughput plots in the review, you will see high throughput variation. I have viewed the Response time plots for the same test runs and they are pretty much the inverse, i.e. when throughput drops, response time rises.

Probably not ET's or the government, but more like poor algorithms and perhaps some stray RF coupling like that that affected the NETGEAR WNDR3300.

Your alternatives are: live with it, wait for possible firmware update or return the product and get another. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen a draft 11n router or AP that has nice, steady wireless throughput.

I returned this router because the overheating problem (disconnections). This router should be taken out of all stores.

Last edited:
Mr mike8851

I have about 20 days left to return the 610n and have been hoping to see a solid solution for the disconnects so I can avoid the hassle.

So far it sounds like it's either some settings that need to be tweaked, or it's a heat problem. Mine disconnects similar to what is being described in the forums however it doesn't feel that hot to the touch.

If anyone has any info regarding root cause and work-arounds please let me know at mike8851@aol.com.

Also, regarding the tech support. Give me a choice between two equal products, one advertising tech support from the USA, and I'll pay a premium for that product. Some of the people I talked to (apparently from India) get more info from me then the other way around. Cost cutting has gone a bit too far.

mike

Hi Mike. Just return it as soon as possible, as I did. After the 3 day running without my laptop cooler, the 610 started to disconnect clients on the 2.4ghz band. 5ghz worked perfect. It's a crazy router.

I dont have an idea why this router hit the retail stores. It should be removed from all stores until Linksys fixes the overheating problem.

Working now - no connection losses!

Thanks!
I followed your suggestions below and used the same settings. Now going for about a week and no dropping of connections in 5.0 GHz band.

Why couldn't Linksys Support be this helpful?

They had be try changing a few settings, but it didn't help. They eventually approved an RMA so I could return my WRT610N for a replacement. When I got the replacement router, it too kept dropping out. Until I made your changes.

Thanks again.

After making a few changes to my router config on my WRT610n, I have not been disconnected. I've tested it offline Sunday with it not connected to the internet but connected to a 1 TB ext. usb drive. With my previous settings, after copying a couple mb using 2 notebooks to the USB drive I would get disconnected on the 5 GHz radio. One notebook is using 5 GHz Intel 4965abgn card and one is using 2.4GHz Intel 3945abg, After changing the following, I have not been disconnected. Under Wireless, Wireless Security tab, 5 GHz, I changed the Encryption from "WPA-TKIP or WPA2-AES" to "AES". I am using WPA2-Personal AES for my notebook w/ Intel 4965abgn card. The other notebook is using WPA TKIP on the 2.4 GHz radio with the Intel 3945abg. I also connected it back to the internet Monday with a third computer playing WOW. Below are my current settings using the B18 firmware:

Under Wireless, Basic Wireless Settings
5 GHz
Network Mode - Wireless-N Only (Intel 4965abgn ver 12.0.0.82 driver)
Radio Band - Wide - 40MHz Channel
Wide Channel - 46
Standard Channel - 48 - 5.240GHz (wanted to stay away from my 5.8 GHz cordless phones)
SSID Broadcast - Disabled

2.4 GHz
Network Mode - Mixed (have a Linksys PCI N card that only does 2.4 GHz)
Radio Band - Wide - 40Mhz Channel
Wide Channel - 3
Standard Channel - 1 - 2.412 GHz (used this on my WRT54GS w/ DD-WRT)
SSID Broadcast - Disabled

Under Wireless, Wireless Security tab,
5 GHz WPA2-Personal
Encryption 'AES'

2.4GHz WPA-Personal
Encryption TKIP

Wireless, Advanced Wireless Settings
Took all defaults except changed both 'CTS Protection Mode' to disabled (dd-wrt did this on my WRT54GS)

Applications & Gaming
Changed WMM Support to Disabled
Also disabled Internet Access Priority (it was on for my VOIP)

Mac Filtering is turned on under Wireless for extra security

Drew

Hi,sorry for my english.
What'is a compatible adapters PCI for connect at channel 5 GHZ?
Thank's

Hi,sorry for my english.
What'is a compatible adapters PCI for connect at channel 5 GHZ?
Thank's
I believe that there aren't any 5Ghz PCI cards. Nor any 2.4Ghz+5Ghz dual band PCI cards. Only 2.4Ghz PCI cards. You'll have to go USB adapter (there are only a few of these with 2.4Ghz+5Ghz) or maybe 2.4Ghz+5Ghz notebook adapter in a PCI or PCI-express adapter with or without wired desktop antenna.

Did I get it right ?

Wireless / Wired - doesn't matter.

I have this router, and have noted that the disconnects are happening on BOTH wired AND wireless connections.

I agree with Turbo. There should be a major recall of all of these routers. Cisco isn't even providing proper support for this. I only found the firmware update when I went through their website on a different route from the first one I took. I'm very disappointed. I don't think I will buy their products again - and I have been uniquely using Linksys. Can anyone recommend a supperior product? Or is it all just crap coming out of some up and coming third world country?

5ghz PCI-X card

There is a card from Dell, which is PCI-x (the small x1 slot) to mini pci-x that is installed in some of their low profile cases. It comes with the dell mini pci-x broadcom card.

Is there any benefit to going 5Ghz wireless N exclusively?

I've seen that the biggest complaint on that is lack of range IF the "necessary power" isn't available. That's a very shorthand paraphrase but allegedly there's great untapped potential on that front.

Thoughts?

Is there any benefit to going 5Ghz wireless N exclusively?
The advantage is fewer competing networks and more non-overlapping channels.

Disadvantage, at least until manufacturers stop cheaping out on power amps is poorer range.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!