What's new

Load RT-AC68U firmware on model DSL-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think Personal messaging has been disabled for me as I was banned for a while. Ask the question here and I will try to answer without linking to the original source etc.. I hope that would be allowed. I think the issue was that the instructions I posted were originally for converting an ISP specific router.. even though that was not what I was trying to achieve

OK that makes sense.

So my issue is that I can get to the point where the AiMesh Node setting is available and can select it to set up the node. The screen then says it is setting up and there is a 0 - 100% progress bar which claims to take 60 seconds but seems longer. It then moves to a screen that says to look for the node from the Ai-Mesh router but the router doesn't find it. What actually appears to happen is that the router reboots and loses all the nvram changes and so the ID resets to being a DSL again.

sure it will fall back to values stored in cfe, thats why I told you to modify cfe with RT-AC1900 instead of DSL-AC68U. Then it will survive reboot.

But better to forget all of this buggy Aimesh and configure as AP like we did in the past and has been working.

sure it will fall back to values stored in cfe, thats why I told you to modify cfe with RT-AC1900 instead of DSL-AC68U. Then it will survive reboot.

But better to forget all of this buggy Aimesh and configure as AP like we did in the past and has been working.
Please can you point me at a guide to editing the CFE.

Thanks

All threads in this forum related to cfe (and all available downloads for it) has been deleted in this forum few months ago, dont know why as they has been here for many years.
You would have to search anywhere else, but in short: safe cfe (bootloader), with hex editor search for DSL-AC68U and edit (replace) only this name to RT-AC1900 (nothing else!!!) and load cfe again.
Of course any risc of bricking on your side!

Hi all,
I have a problem with DSL-AC68U. Someone uploaded the RT-AC68U firmware and I can't upload the original DSL-AC68U firmware. How can i upload the original version? I've tried with the firmware restoration software but it did't work. The router works but i need the aimesh function. I would like to restore the original firmware. I can upload only the RT-AC68U firmware.
I did it with putty. I uploaded the original DSL-AC68U firmware and "mtd-write2 DSL-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_21128-g3e869a5_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx linux && reboot" now works well.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-4_15-2-4.png
    upload_2019-3-4_15-2-4.png
    4 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
I have followed the guidance and the router has been converted to Rt-AC68U and i have it setup as node with an AC86U as Master.

The question I have is that the 5GHz LED at the front of the router is not working, can anyone help? I have reset the router and confirmed that 5GhZ wireless band existing within the setup (under wireless) however I dont get the LED. I have not tried forcing the router to act as 5GHZ only (not sure it is even possible)

the way I amended the NVRAM was I took copy of the existing NVRAM and work searched all occasions where DSL-AC68 occurs, those command lines were then reprocessed with the change router name. I am unsure if this has caused the issued.

the other issue now is that the router can not be connected vai Ethernet (as Ethernet backhaul) in node mode, as the connection required in LAN to WAN, can i use an RJ11 to RJ45 to make the connection?

Hi all,
I have a problem with DSL-AC68U. Someone uploaded the RT-AC68U firmware and I can't upload the original DSL-AC68U firmware. How can i upload the original version? I've tried with the firmware restoration software but it did't work. The router works but i need the aimesh function. I would like to restore the original firmware. I can upload only the RT-AC68U firmware.
I did it with putty. I uploaded the original DSL-AC68U firmware and "mtd-write2 DSL-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_21128-g3e869a5_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx linux && reboot" now works well.
I had the same problem with latest edition and I used the previous edition of the utility which works?
the other thing to note as someone indicate don the forum, make sure you have the file upload read, press the upload button before powering the router (and holding the reset button until the power LED starts flashing)

the other issue now is that the router can not be connected vai Ethernet (as Ethernet backhaul) in node mode, as the connection required in LAN to WAN, can i use an RJ11 to RJ45 to make the connection?
DSL port is completely different to LAN ports, there is nothing compatible in the protocols or wires.

Why dont you got back and use GNUton's Merlin-fork for DSL?
This is an old thread and bad advice since then.

DSL port is completely different to LAN ports, there is nothing compatible in the protocols or wires.

Why dont you got back and use GNUton's Merlin-fork for DSL?
This is an old thread and bad advice since then.

I have just been reading up on it. would it allow me to ustilsie the DSL-AC68U as a node on Aimesh? and can I connect to node via ethernet cable (LAN ports??)

I have followed the guidance and the router has been converted to Rt-AC68U and i have it setup as node with an AC86U as Master.

The question I have is that the 5GHz LED at the front of the router is not working, can anyone help? I have reset the router and confirmed that 5GhZ wireless band existing within the setup (under wireless) however I dont get the LED. I have not tried forcing the router to act as 5GHZ only (not sure it is even possible)

the way I amended the NVRAM was I took copy of the existing NVRAM and work searched all occasions where DSL-AC68 occurs, those command lines were then reprocessed with the change router name. I am unsure if this has caused the issued.

Can't you just use one of the LAN ports? It worked last time I had a converted DSL-AC68 set up with RT-AC68 firmware (with NVRAM changes so it correctly identified as an RT). BTW doesn't the standard firmware now support AiMesh Node on the DSL version?

afaik there is a beta stock firmware with support for Aimesh node mode support, but think its still not stable.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!