What's new

Local DNS IP keeps deleting itself

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nick_max

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Recently I have noticed a strange and very annoying issue in LAN > DHCP server settings page, "DNS and WINS Server Setting" section: the DNS IP address keeps deleting itself automatically, every time the WAN loses its connection. After WAN connection is restored, I have to manually enter again the DNS Server 1 to 192.168.1.100 and run a ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew command on every network client to have them use again my DNS IP.
1637745098619.png

My setup:
Router Asus RT-AX88U, 386.3_2
Private DNS, Raspberry Pi running Pi-Hole, 192.168.1.100

Anybody know why is this happening, please?

Many thanks in advance.

FWIW, I tried doing the same thing w/ my RT-AC68U and had no such problems. Whether I disconnected/reconnected the WAN cable, or did a reboot, the DNS IP remained.

What happens if you specify a public IP (e.g., 8.8.8.8)?

On a lark, try adding the same IP (192.168.1.100) to the second DNS server field as well.

Check your nvram usage on the tools page....if the available space is less than about 3K you can run into cases where nvram cannot be maintained.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!