What's new

Looking for opinions on PTP and router setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freejay

New Around Here
Hi everyone, new member here

I'm going to be installing Starlink at my rural property and need to extend the service from the house to a outbuilding ~100m away. The antennas will have perfect line of sight to each other and will be mounted on the exterior walls of each building below the eaves. Burying a cable is not an option. I'd like this system to be trouble free as it is a rental property 2hrs from my home

I've been doing some research and have this for an equipment list

Starlink with ethernet adapter
Ubiquiti Nanostation 5AC Loco x2
Ubiquiti POE injector x2
TP-Link AX5400 WIFI 6 Router
Cat6 cabling as required

What are the groups thoughts on this? Do I need surge protectors for the Nanostations? Will the Starlink still provide WIFI in the first building with the ethernet adapter connected?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forums @freejay.

I may be wrong, but I think you need another router at the far building too.

My bad. The router I listed would be for the far building

Should work fine. So basically the starlink router will service the main building and asus will serve the remote building, or are you trying to extend the starlink WAN directly to the Asus? Should work fine either way, just if starlink uses VLANs or anything you need to make sure the P2P can pass those. Pretty sure the Nano can, not positive (and they probably aren't using VLANs anyway).

TP Link and others have similar P2P setups also and sometimes have a bit simpler management interfaces than Ubiquiti and may be cheaper. Not positive on the Nano but usually they require you to run management software on a PC, they don't have built in web interfaces. 100M should be no problem for any of the directional setups even at 5ghz (assuming clear line of sight and your spectrum isn't heavily saturated).

In fact if the starlink router has wifi you might even be able to get away with a standard directional AP from TP Link or similar on one end only. But given the fairly low cost I think the dedicated P2P is better.

Should work fine. So basically the starlink router will service the main building and asus will serve the remote building, or are you trying to extend the starlink WAN directly to the Asus? Should work fine either way, just if starlink uses VLANs or anything you need to make sure the P2P can pass those. Pretty sure the Nano can, not positive (and they probably aren't using VLANs anyway).

TP Link and others have similar P2P setups also and sometimes have a bit simpler management interfaces than Ubiquiti and may be cheaper. Not positive on the Nano but usually they require you to run management software on a PC, they don't have built in web interfaces. 100M should be no problem for any of the directional setups even at 5ghz (assuming clear line of sight and your spectrum isn't heavily saturated).

In fact if the starlink router has wifi you might even be able to get away with a standard directional AP from TP Link or similar on one end only. But given the fairly low cost I think the dedicated P2P is better.
Yes Starlink router for the main building and the Asus for the remote building. The one building (workshop) has metal cladding inside and out and I feel like the P2P will be more robust than trying to use WAN.

Is the Asus I listed a decent router?

Any suggestions on a cheaper or easier reliable P2P setup? I just looked at Ubiquiti based on other reading but I'm not set on them. Would like to stick with a solid brand though...

There are no other signals around, the nearest house is 1.5km away

Thanks

What is this Asus TP-Link router going to do there? Gen an UniFi AP instead to match your bridge.

Last edited:
What is this Asus router going to do there? Gen an UniFi AP instead to match your bridge.
So the Unifi AP will give me WIFI in the second building? They look to be the same price or more than the Asus plus I'd need another POE injector and a switch(?) to have a wired network in the second building

Tell me if I'm wrong I'm a total noob at this

Last edited:
So the Unifi AP will give me WIFI in the second building? They look to be the same price or more than the Asus plus I'd need another POE injector and a switch(?) to have a wired network in the second building

Many Unifi APs have a second ethernet port but if you need more than 1 wired device yes you'd need a switch. Depending what your requirements are any cheap router/AP will do probably. If you want to keep costs low a TP-Link bridge setup and TP-Link router/AP will work fine. The second building device can be run in AP mode regardless and just get IPs from the starlink router.

I know nothing about your requirements. Total noob means you have a problem from the start.

AFAICT from ubiquiti's download site, the nanostation locos run exactly the same AirMax firmware as the nanobeam units I have, which have a perfectly fine web admin GUI (see my mini-review here). Their API might look dauntingly complex at first, but it gives you a ton of info that is very handy while you're trying to get the antennas aligned -- which is trickier than you might think. You do not need a separate controller, nor do you have to use ubiquiti's cloud management features (although if you have to admin the things remotely, maybe that would be a good thing to use...)

I don't have an opinion on which wireless router you ought to use, but I think you'll be glad you bought the ubiquiti PTP gear.

Using a wireless bridge kit in conjunction with a mesh system can be a viable solution to extend your Wi-Fi coverage. RL uses 2.4G and 5.8G wifi, I always recommend our dual band PTP wireless bridge kit for this application!

Using a wireless bridge kit in conjunction with a mesh system can be a viable solution to extend your Wi-Fi coverage. RL uses 2.4G and 5.8G wifi, I always recommend our dual band PTP wireless bridge kit for this application!

Why? Not only are dual band P2P setups much harder to find and more expensive, but one should just choose the best application for their needs. If within range for 5ghz, that's the way to go. If not, then go to 2.4 (or a higher gain 5ghz setup if you have the money).

By using a dual-band kit, you have the option to utilize either the 5GHz or 2.4GHz frequency bands based on the specific conditions and requirements of your setup. This allows for greater adaptability and ensures that you can establish a stable and efficient wireless connection even in challenging environments.

By using a dual-band kit, you have the option to utilize either the 5GHz or 2.4GHz frequency bands based on the specific conditions and requirements of your setup. This allows for greater adaptability and ensures that you can establish a stable and efficient wireless connection even in challenging environments.

Makes more sense to just get a 5ghz kit with the correct gain for the application you need, in other words do your homework first rather than buying something more expensive with an extra band (whether it be 2.4 or 5) that you'll never use. Is that a copy and paste from your brochure?

Honestly I think your signature should have mention that you represent a company selling a product. Actually I'm surprised you don't since OP would have no way of knowing what product/company you're pitching.

Last edited:
Honestly I think your signature should have mention that you represent a company selling a product.
Thanks for the reminder! Add it to my signature!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!