What's new

Looking for a new router with easy parental controls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Setherd

New Around Here
I switched service providers and have to get a new router. I had an Eero before provided by the ISP, and it works pretty well. I also have a pihole when I went to turn off things like Roblox or steam for all my kids.
I bought a Google nest Wi-Fi pro and it is a hot piece of garbage. My wife is demanding we go back to the Eero.

I’m wondering, is there something else out there better than Eero? my house is about 2200 ft.² in a square, two stories. One Eero seem to do fine.
I’m wondering if one of the new Asus routers and the phone app are easier/better than Eero?

any input is gratefully appreciated!

seth

If you are already familiar with the Eero and it worked for you I’d stick with that. Easier than learning something new and if it worked why not.

What didn’t you like about the google nest WiFi pro, bit off topic but you mentioned it so it’s fair game

I switched service providers and have to get a new router. I had an Eero before provided by the ISP, and it works pretty well. I also have a pihole when I went to turn off things like Roblox or steam for all my kids.
I bought a Google nest Wi-Fi pro and it is a hot piece of garbage. My wife is demanding we go back to the Eero.

I’m wondering, is there something else out there better than Eero? my house is about 2200 ft.² in a square, two stories. One Eero seem to do fine.
I’m wondering if one of the new Asus routers and the phone app are easier/better than Eero?

Keep the wife happy - Eero isn't bad...

Two nodes should be good enough to get back into that chocolaty river of decent wifi...

What didn’t you like about the google nest WiFi pro, bit off topic but you mentioned it so it’s fair game

While he doesn't mention his issues...

I've tested it, and for certain use cases, it's a good thing, but it doesn't have a lot of functionality that folks would expect to have - since OP is running a pihole - well, nest that's not really an option...

Thank you for the replies, everyone!
it’s been a while, but I am well-versed in dealing with flashing firmware, DD-WRT, openWRT, etc. I’m thinking about giving one of the high-end Asus routers a try. The parental controls look like they would be pretty easy in the app for when we need to, turn specific kids Internet on and off. The Eero was easy and reliable, but not very configurable.

As for the Google nest Wi-Fi pro, I like that it integrates in the Google Home app. But you have no control over firmware. My oldest son, and I noticed when gaming that our ping varies all over the place compared to the Eero. My wife notices that streaming services, pause frequently and you have to back out of the show and go back into resume. Never had this before with the Eero. I did try the eero with the new ISP and everything works fine. That’s why I think it is the router and not the provider. I had one gigabit down with the old one and I have the same with the new one.
it took me about 45 minutes to do a factory reset on it last night. It just kept wanting to do a partial reset, then once I got everything set up again, it was still giving the wrong subnet to my devices until I restarted Everything a few times.
Also, and this is a weird one, in the pihole app on our iPads, we cannot disable or enable the pie hole, but I can change rules. But the apps on our android phones can disable or enable It. this is on the Google Wi-Fi, pro, on the eero, everything on the iPad worked fine.

I’m thinking about giving one of the high-end Asus routers a try.

Asuswrt-Merlin as only 3rd party firmware option and with the same Parental Controls as in stock Asuswrt. No FreshTomato, DD-WRT, OperWrt.

Better in which way ? as in You control the router ? The Asus routers with Merlin FW give you many options , YOU are in control . Merlin is stable and secure as can be . lots of info on the forums , try a search . Good luck
Let me add one router covers my house 60"x50" 3 floor including the basement , i get a signal down the block

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!