What's new

looking for advice. cable modem/Router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cazzoi

Regular Contributor
Hello Everyone.

i am here for my girlfriend who need some help with her cable i dont know much about Cable modem. i only know about how to plug in a router tbh.

atm she is a renting cable modem/router for $10 from suddenlink (the provider) that keep disconnecting at times and she would like a cable modem/router of her own so she dont pay a mouthly fee of $10 atm she is not getting her full speed on her computer that it is not allowing her to get her full speed on her Einternet cable plug in her computer. but on her others devices she is getting her full speed. atm she is paying for a 200mb download and a 20 upload speed. do i need a new network card for her computer.

this is her computer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6U6JEI/?tag=snbforums-20

also that we been looking at cable/routers in a bundle her is budget is $150

i have been looking at a netgear/cable with a router: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0161NBPZS/?tag=snbforums-20

and she have been looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIWW10E/?tag=snbforums-20

we been looking around but we dont know what to pick. we would really like Appreciate the help. we just trying to find the full on speed on the connection

Thanks in avanced everyone :)

Last edited:
i am here for my girlfriend who need some help with her cable i dont know much about Cable modem. i only know about how to plug in a router tbh.

atm she is a renting cable modem/router for $10 from suddenlink (the provider) that keep disconnecting at times and she would like a cable modem/router of her own so she dont pay a mouthly fee of $10 atm she is not getting her full speed on her computer that it is not allowing her to get her full speed on her Einternet cable plug in her computer. but on her others devices she is getting her full speed. atm she is paying for a 200mb download and a 20 upload speed. do i need a new network card for her computer.

Before spending a lot of money on routers/modems/etc... sort the current problem, which is the WAN instability - call the ISP and solve that first, esp. since she's paying for both service and modem rental, which makes that problem the ISP's problem, not her's...

Once that it solved, then see what modems the ISP supports, and purchase/provision from there...

Agreed the ISP should fix their stuff and typically if you own the modem or router they blame the non rented equipment.

Having said that if purchasing a modem and router solve the issue it might be faster. Take advantage of amazon/ best buy / etc having no hassle return policies by adding the new equipment, if problem still exists after a few days send email back!

Would also suggest separate devices so you can test the speed / performance from Modem vs router.

Agreed the ISP should fix their stuff and typically if you own the modem or router they blame the non rented equipment.

Having said that if purchasing a modem and router solve the issue it might be faster. Take advantage of amazon/ best buy / etc having no hassle return policies by adding the new equipment, if problem still exists after a few days send email back!

Would also suggest separate devices so you can test the speed / performance from Modem vs router.

she said we are going to have the ISP come out and fix the issues on the modem first and the router. if that work we are giving it a week. if that dont work we are considering a new modem and a new router. hopefully

is there any recommended bundles you guys can think of ??

hopefully it gonna work with the ISP coming she had the ISP techian to come out to fix it for like dozen times. there say it a signal issues coming outside of her apartment..

she said we are going to have the ISP come out and fix the issues on the modem first and the router. if that work we are giving it a week. if that dont work we are considering a new modem and a new router. hopefully

is there any recommended bundles you guys can think of ??

hopefully it gonna work with the ISP coming she had the ISP techian to come out to fix it for like dozen times. there say it a signal issues coming outside of her apartment..

Is she renting cable modem and router? In that case plugging the computer directly into modem will tell little more about the problems she is having. Hope it is not a combination in one box. I personally don't like combo units.

Is she renting cable modem and router? In that case plugging the computer directly into modem will tell little more about the problems she is having. Hope it is not a combination in one box. I personally don't like combo units.

she say yea it is in all in one. with both

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!