What's new

Looking for some direction on upgrades to home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark Kent

New Around Here
I am looking to upgrade my existing wired/wireless network. I’m a desktop admin by trade, so I don’t mind doing more reading (have already done a decent amount). I’m fine with just being pointed in the right direction.

Just some quick details. I live in western NY, my home was built in the late 70’s, is 2400 sq ft, sheetrock walls, copper wiring. I have 70 down, 5 up cable Internet. It comes into a Surfboard modem, from there it goes to a Netgear WNDR3700 running DD-WRT which handles both routing and wireless. There is a connection from the Netgear to a Cisco SG200 series switch. This feeds a number of CAT6 ports in the basement and 1st floor. I also have a Netgear powerline ethernet connection from the switch to the second floor master bedroom for my Roku. Everything works, no real issues.

For the most part, the wireless signal reaches all corners of the house. However, only the 2.4 is really usable in those areas and the signal is weak. Also, I’m on the porch or patio a lot in the summer and the signal is poor or non-existent. The router of course also does not support the latest standards.

So all in all, I’m looking to increase the reach and performance of the wireless network and wondering what the best approach is. Access points? Mesh? Something else? I also want to maintain a lot of control on the network, one reason I really like the DD-WRT software. I do like some of the new software I see out there (ex. the Amplify software that comes with their equipment looks really nice…but you can only use it on your smartphone…). I don’t mind looking at low end enterprise grade, or consumer is just fine. I would like to keep things under $1000 if possible.

Again, any hints, ideas, suggestions are appreciated. Many thanks!

There are many choices you have there is Netgear Orbi Kit, TP-link Deco M5, Linksys Velop. (600 USD or less)
Or just buy 2-3 Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-Pro and connect to your Router. (300 USD or less)
Everything depends on your needs.

Would the Ubiquiti equipment work best with their own router? I don't mind buying a new router. I would like to improve on the software features.

Would the Ubiquiti equipment work best with their own router? I don't mind buying a new router. I would like to improve on the software features.

They will work with any router. If you you decide to use an all in one router (like Asus or Netgear) disable the wifi radios and let the Unifi wireless do the wirelesss part. Or, pick up a Unifi USG. If you decide to go with a USG you will also need a Cloud key, which communicates with the USG, and the Unifi AP's.

OK. But then I still have to run some new cabling up to the second floor right? I guess I was hoping to avoid cable runs upstairs as it will be a bit difficult, but might be possible.

same Cat6 unless you have RG6 coax, in which case you can use a pair of moca2 modems to extend the ethernet at up to Gigabit speed. Pulling low voltage cable is easier than power. Hire an alarm installer that has done some data cable work and knows what not to do.

If you don't want to use cables, you need to be looking at a Mesh offering. If you want to use the existing cables on the first floor, you can possibly improve your signal issues to an extent, but doubtful you will get perfect coverage on all of 2nd floor without an AP up there. It really depends on the physical layout of your house and where you place the APs.

I have two UAP-AC-LR, one on 1st floor, and one in the basement. I get 2.4GHz coverage everywhere, but my 5GHz isn't the greatest on the 2nd floor of the house. I can't fix that without pulling some cable somehow to the 2nd floor.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!