What's new

Looking for these features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinpt

New Around Here
Hello,

I’m on the market to find a router with all the following features:

Firewall built-in;
WPA3 security;
Automatic firmware updates;
Wi-Fi 6E;
Tri-band.

Any help highly appreciated!

Welcome to the forums @Justinpt.

All AX class routers will have the first two or three on your list.

What is special about your environment that you feel you need a Tri-band WiFi 6E router today?

Unless you have very specific requirements that are not better served otherwise, the best bang for the buck is the RT-AX88U Pro over the older, still fairly immature, and expensive WiFi 6E models worth considering today.

What are your ISP speeds today? What do you expect them to reach while owning a new router?

How many clients are you connecting? Do you have any non-handheld mobile devices that can (theoretically) connect at WiFi 6E speeds?

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah first three are must-haves for me and deal breaker if even one’s happened to miss.
Last two were more optional if price was close but after reading more Wi-F5 looks currently much better!

Firewall built-in - every home AIO router
WPA3 security - must be supported by the clients; requires PMF, may cause issues with older clients
Automatic firmware updates - you don't want this, cases of bricked routers reported here on SNB Forums
Wi-Fi 6E - must be supported by the clients, not popular, limited model choice; Wi-Fi 7 products are coming
Tri-band - not needed in most cases unless you have >60-100 clients or a high-bandwidth device like VR set

Automatic firmware updates - you don't want this, cases of bricked routers reported here on SNB Forums
Indeed. If you don't like the thought of occasionally waking up to find your router bricked (it's happened to me), you should be really wary of automatic updates. There isn't any manufacturer in the consumer-router business that is worthy of trust on this point, and even the SMB-grade makes have their misfires. If you prefer internet that Just Works, you're better off monitoring relevant discussion forums and only upgrading to firmware versions that have been out for a little while and aren't getting lots of reports of trouble.

I would be ok with notifications of updates being available, but not really a big fan of auto-updates - there have been many cases where a bad firmware update has bricked devices...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!