What's new

Looking for the best Wireless router money can buy.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AERo

New Around Here
I'm looking to buy the wireless router with currently, the top speed/throughput and range.
Budget is currently a non-issue (considering spending over $200 if necessary)

I've used a Belkin N1, Linksys WRT600N and a D-Link DIR655 in the past.

The environmental situation is, one wireless/wired gigabit router has to connect with at least 4 desktop PCs (wireless or wired), a gigabit switch, two NASs, wireless internet radio or two and 4~6 laptops running Intel integrated adapters (most of them are 4965AGN)

I'm currently using the Linksys WRT600N, and it has been a disappointment (although it was better than the Belkin N1).

Any suggestions?
From what I can read, the high end Trendnet routers seem to be good, but what do I know :rolleyes:

Probably would help if you said something about your needs. For example, if you want the router to share a printer that rules a lot out. Likewise, do you plan to put a media server on it? Also, what kind of clients will you have on it? Streaming Netflix?

I think the Netgear WNDR3700 is considered to be on of the top routers for home use for most applications, but it will not share a printer (it will share a NAS though).

Price point is about $160

Probably would help if you said something about your needs. For example, if you want the router to share a printer that rules a lot out. Likewise, do you plan to put a media server on it? Also, what kind of clients will you have on it? Streaming Netflix?

I think the Netgear WNDR3700 is considered to be on of the top routers for home use for most applications, but it will not share a printer (it will share a NAS though).

Yep, I second the WNDR3700. Upgraded from the latest Airport Extreme and the WNDR3700 blows it away. Fastest wireless speeds I've ever used and as long as you don't use the NAS (buggy/slow) it is a rock solid router.

Good point.

Needs are as follows
1) Gaming. Half the computer on the network will be used for regular gaming.
2) Temporary web server.
3) Downloading and Uploading (The fiber/ISP line is a 25Mbps/25Mbps line, and the average monthly bandwidth usage is normally is over 600GB)
4) Streaming HD and SD content.
5) NASs Sharing

Something that will be a plus is Printer sharing and a usb storage link on the router.
These options are necessary though, since I have alternatives.

Yep, I second the WNDR3700. Upgraded from the latest Airport Extreme and the WNDR3700 blows it away. Fastest wireless speeds I've ever used and as long as you don't use the NAS (buggy/slow) it is a rock solid router.

Hows the connectivity/signal strength?

Computers that report having 5 bar connections on Win 7 constantly disconnect by themselves on the WRT600N.
(Intel 4965AGN adapters)

It is quite weird because when you open up the wifi scanning utility you see the network, but the adapter needs
time to connect to it again... if you manually try to reconnect, it gives you a error window with bs troubleshooting guide.

Computers that report having 5 bar connections on Win 7 constantly disconnect by themselves on the WRT600N.
(Intel 4965AGN adapters)
Hit the Intel driver site and install the latest drivers. Intel frequently updates its client drivers and newer drivers may help your connectivity issues.

Also make sure you're running WPA2/AES encryption and WMM is enabled on the router.

Hows the connectivity/signal strength?

(Intel 4965AGN adapters)

It is quite weird because when you open up the wifi scanning utility you see the network, but the adapter needs
time to connect to it again... if you manually try to reconnect, it gives you a error window with bs troubleshooting guide.

Signal strength is excellent, but the req to update intels drivers is a good one.
Honestly mate, this really is a good router. One of my best buys in a while.

Hit the Intel driver site and install the latest drivers. Intel frequently updates its client drivers and newer drivers may help your connectivity issues.

Also make sure you're running WPA2/AES encryption and WMM is enabled on the router.

One of the first things I tried.

Changing default settings, going back to default settings, upgrading/changing the router's latest firmware,
upgrading/changing the adapter drivers (I currently have the Mar 2010 release drivers).

Upgraded from the latest Airport Extreme and the WNDR3700 blows it away.

Hi... perhaps a touch off-topic, but I was considering the Airport Extreme or Express to use solely as an access point... wondering if you could comment a bit more on your experiences of the AE vs the WNDR3700... Thanks...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!