What's new

Managing Access Points in Adaptive QoS Interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adam Siemiginowski

Occasional Visitor
For the Adaptive QoS interface... you can select the priority of ALL devices on your network - including Access Points - which are the point traffic for ALL devices.

How should the Access Points be configured? How are they treated?

Would giving an Access Point 'HIGHEST' priority be advised - or - would that then make all traffic via that Access Point 'HIGHEST' effectively making Adaptive QoS futile? I assume making everything 'HIGHEST' would then eliminate any differentiation.

NOTE: I do not see any traffic displayed in the interface for the Access Points - and many of my other devices - which makes me wonder if any of this works.

This is on a RT-AC87U running Merlin 380.68.

upload_2017-9-3_14-24-56.png

upload_2017-9-3_14-23-44.png

Why do you need so many access points, as long it's better to let adaptive qos detect traffic rather than setting device priorities.
If you set everything to high you starve other devices of bandwidth.

Why do you need so many access points, as long it's better to let adaptive qos detect traffic rather than setting device priorities.
If you set everything to high you starve other devices of bandwidth.

I have a router and two access points as I have a sprawling floor plan with brick walls between spaces I use the access points. This allows me to have a strong wifi connection in each space.

Since this post... I have only put my most important devices as 'HIGH' on Adaptive QoS: a few business critical iPads and printers.

I have left the access points as 'DEFAULT' priority - treating all sub-devices independently in the Adaptive QoS, i.e. the iPads and Printers set to 'HIGH'.

The one frustrating thing - separate issue - is not all my client devices appear in the Adaptive QoS menu - regardless of being connected to the primary router or the access points - so I cannot throttle the connection of a few security cameras - for example. (Simplisafe Security Cameras)

For the Adaptive QoS interface... you can select the priority of ALL devices on your network - including Access Points - which are the point traffic for ALL devices.
I don't have Adaptive QoS because I use John's firmware so I can't check, but the only traffic I would expect to see logged against the AP's would be their own (i.e. webUI, DNS and NTP maybe). I wouldn't expect to see any of the traffic for the connected clients because... well... it's an access point and that's how they work.

I don't have Adaptive QoS because I use John's firmware so I can't check, but the only traffic I would expect to see logged against the AP's would be their own (i.e. webUI, DNS and NTP maybe). I wouldn't expect to see any of the traffic for the connected clients because... well... it's an access point and that's how they work.

I see all the same clients on the router and each of the access points - and the same client count - at any particular moment. So, the client list is shared for the whole network, and not each router/access point.

For each router and access point - they are missing the same clients I am expecting to see - three of my Simplisafe Security Cameras - amongst other devices. I have one of the cameras of note connected to each of the router and two access points.

I see all the same clients on the router and each of the access points - and the same client count - at any particular moment. So, the client list is shared for the whole network, and not each router/access point.

For each router and access point - they are missing the same clients I am expecting to see - three of my Simplisafe Security Cameras - amongst other devices. I have one of the cameras of note connected to each of the router and two access points.
I wasn't referring to the clients lists. I was referring to using QoS to manage the traffic of the devices. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but it sounded like you were expecting the access points to be showing the traffic for the devices connected to them.

Would giving an Access Point 'HIGHEST' priority be advised - or - would that then make all traffic via that Access Point 'HIGHEST' effectively making Adaptive QoS futile? I assume making everything 'HIGHEST' would then eliminate any differentiation.

NOTE: I do not see any traffic displayed in the interface for the Access Points - and many of my other devices - which makes me wonder if any of this works.

Just dropping in late, the clients connected via Access Points will simply appear as any wired device. The APs themselves will only appear as they also have individual IP addresses for management purposes. You don’t need any QOS settings specifically for when devices sit on an AP. I use 3 APs on my network.

If your devices are missing this could be that they take a while to populate - I assume mine only appear after they have obtained addresses from DHCP but this is not based on hard fact. Are your cameras using DHCP or static?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!