What's new

Manually Assigned IP Address not Same on Client List after Merlin 386.1_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
After dirty updating from 384.19 to 386.1_2 Merlin, noticed that my manually assigned IP addresses to half of my clients are not 'sticking' ie not changing to the manually assigned IP address in my desired 192.168.50.### range.

Instead the Network Map list displays these clients assigned by the DHCP server in 192.168.100.### range.

I checked all the GUI tabs & nowhere is there a call to use the 192.168.100.### series IP Pool.
Have rebooted & unplugged rebooted several times.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Last edited:
192.168.100.x and 192.168.101.x are now used for clients connected to the first guest WiFi networks on each of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. If you want your guest clients to use your DHCP reservations they need to connect to guest networks 2 or 3.

192.168.100.x and 192.168.101.x are now used for clients connected to the first guest WiFi networks on each of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. If you want your guest clients to use your DHCP reservations they need to connect to guest networks 2 or 3.
Ahh - ok.

So is that why the other half of my clients are connected still to the 192.168.50.## series: they are manually reserved under the 2 other access points I have elsewhere in the house & garage.

Last edited:
Is there any benefits to me continuing to ocd over assigning all my clients a specific ip address?

My clients are mostly smart switches/Alexas/Wifi cams/Tivo's.
Latter is using MoCa connection.
Else - Not really sharing any devices on the network like file server.
Except occassionally using PC as a Plex server

Last edited:
Is there any benefits to me continuing to ocd over assigning all my clients a specific ip address?
Probably not. I use fixed IP addresses for servers, printers and any other independent "infrastructure" devices (like smart switches). But for regular clients I think it's best just to let them get whatever address DHCP gives them.

The exceptions I have are for those annoying devices that don't register a sensible or unique name with the router's DNS, like "android41b8e3f6" or "Google-Home-Mini". So that's just a name/identification issue rather than an obsession with having sequential numbers.

Also remember that dnsmasq assigns ip addresses based on a hash of the mac address. So unless you have a lot of changing devices connecting, the assigned ip addresses will tend to be stable.

Also remember that dnsmasq assigns ip addresses based on a hash of the mac address. So unless you have a lot of changing devices connecting, the assigned ip addresses will tend to be stable.
Yeah that is my quandry: I have basically refurbed my entire house with those WiFi smart switches which need a stable connection.

Yeah that is my quandry: I have basically refurbed my entire house with those WiFi smart switches which need a stable connection.
"Stable" in this context means "unchanging" (being assigned the same IP address each time the device connects). That's nothing to do with a WiFi connection.

"Stable" in this context means "unchanging" (being assigned the same IP address each time the device connects). That's nothing to do with a WiFi connection.
Ahhh - yes - it appeared that John9527 was epousing manually assigning a constant ip address for each of my client.
But upon re-reading John9527's statement it now looks as though the DHCP issued ip address don't change that much if at all - true?

But upon re-reading John9527's statement it now looks as though the DHCP issued ip address don't change that much if at all - true?
Correct. Typically, a client remembers what IP address it last had and asks the router for the same one again. Assuming it's free it gets it. Additionally, when a client connects without asking for a specific address the router gives it one based on its MAC address. This also makes it highly likely that client receives the same IP as it had the last time it connected to this router.

Correct. Typically, a client remembers what IP address it last had and asks the router for the same one again. Assuming it's free it gets it. Additionally, when a client connects without asking for a specific address the router gives it one based on its MAC address. This also makes it highly likely that client receives the same IP as it had the last time it connected to this router.
Thank you again Colin (&John).
You make it sound so simple!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!