What's new

Maximising OpenVPN speeds with Dual WAN on ASUS RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gamesbrainiac

Occasional Visitor
Hi there!

I have an ASUS RT-AC86U. Currently, when I am using Dual WAN, I get speeds of about 120 Mbps, with just a single WAN, my speed is limited to 60 Mbps.

However, when I turn on OpenVPN (single client connected to a VPN server) with dual WAN enabled the speed does not exceed 60 Mbps when I test the speed on speedtest.net.

How can I improve the speed of the VPN so as to take advantage of the maximum bandwidth that my dual WAN provides.

What I have tried so far is not using VPN on my router, but rather using VPN on my computer, and keeping the internet connection as it is on the router. However, I have seen that the speeds have not increased more than 60 Mbps.

I have also tested as to whether it is a limitation of my VPN provider, and so I tested out speeds in a separate location that had a 150 Mbps connection. What I saw is that the VPN was able to take advantage of the full speed.

So, is there any way to maximise the bandwidth of my internet connection with a VPN turned on? I'm open to suggestions that include buying extra hardware (like a network switch perhaps).

With regards to the Dual WAN system. I live in a hotel-like situation where the internet is provided by my landlord to every tenant. However, each port has a max bandwidth of about 60 Mbps.

I am also using the latest version of Merlin's firmware, 384.3.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to better this situation.

There's no way to increase the VPN speed on your setup. The reason is simple: a single VPN session will only use one wan. The source of this restriction is security.
I can think of a solution to balance an already established VPN session over several wan links, but technically it is very complicated and leagues above the features of a home router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!