What's new

Maximum achievable torrent speed with AC68 and AC87

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itsmaxdd

New Around Here
Hello guys, im currently deciding what to buy between the two models. My main concern is to have a good torrent client for a 100/20 internet connection. Based on your experience what was your maximum torrent speed ? I read it is related to the CPU capability

Last edited:
My main concern is to have a good torrent client for a 100/20 internet connection. Based on your experience what was your maximum torrent speed ?
You can read here about the recent discussion on the AC87U and links to my postings on the AC68U. :eek:

My conclusion is down 15 Mbit and up 0.7 MBit to run the AC68U router for 24x7 without issues! :rolleyes:

After settings posted from Joe I've reach around 6 MB/s download speed and upload around 4 MB/s on my AC87U without issue and without speed limitation at Transmission. But this is my full speed from my provider up 50 Mbit and down 30 Mbit.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Mhmm, that's quite strange. Why are your speed so different? What's you CPU load? Is your HDD USB3.0?

Only settings I've placed is for minimum memory to 48 MBytes. Nothing else. I've thing Joe make so other limitations at his script and for this reason his speed is slow. I'm using 128 Gb usb flash usb 3.0 connected at usb 3.0 port without to reduce interference from the port. Also at the moments my 2 cores and loaded at 100 %.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

Do you want to run transmission or whatever is the name of torrent client on your Asus router?
Or on a PC/laptop/storage in your LAN?

Cause those are completely different scenarios with completely different approached to optimize it.

Do you want to run transmission or whatever is the name of torrent client on your Asus router?
Or on a PC/laptop/storage in your LAN?

Cause those are completely different scenarios with completely different approached to optimize it.

The idea is to use the ASUS router to download torrents with a GUI accessible both in LAN and remotly (deluge or transmission)

Then you already have the answer you are looking for.
Yes, today's routers can do that job. But they are limited in CPU power, RAM, caching. You can't expect a 1GHz ROUTER to do the same job as an laptop/dekstop with considerable amount more CPU horse power and ram and speed to the storage.
And yes, for the ultimate speed you will have to pay the price - computer-wise and electricity-wise.

about 60MB/s. Actually it really depends on how well you code for it. You can make things require very little CPU power but not many programmers can do that.
Regarding electricity routers are actually very inefficient. they will use the same amount of power whether idle or fully loaded so might as well give it some work to do since they are always kept on.

about 60MB/s. Actually it really depends on how well you code for it. You can make things require very little CPU power but not many programmers can do that.
Regarding electricity routers are actually very inefficient. they will use the same amount of power whether idle or fully loaded so might as well give it some work to do since they are always kept on.

How many kilowatts per hour more or less?

So do you suggest this kind of product for a torrentbox/mediaserver even though they are not meant to? Or should i lean towards SBC product?

By my opinion if you download few torrents per day router is the best choice. But if you want a to download and upload on full speed with a lot of torrents you may be have to move to some other solutions.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

Are you using an AC68 or an AC87? i don't need a good wireless connection so i was thinking to buy the AC68 but i wonder if i should oc it to bring it at the same speed of the AC87 in order to have those D/U speeds.

I was on rt-n66u for 3 years and I was happy with it as torrent client and Dlna server. Three weeks ago I bought ac87u and have a lot of issues which try to understand and resolve with the help of the forum. If I know that may be I have to bought Ac68 but now if already made my choice and I'm expecting in a next firmwares to resolves most problems.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

I was on rt-n66u for 3 years and I was happy with it as torrent client and Dlna server. Three weeks ago I bought ac87u and have a lot of issues which try to understand and resolve with the help of the forum. If I know that may be I have to bought Ac68 but now if already made my choice and I'm expecting in a next firmwares to resolves most problems.
Hi,

The N66U router worked better with Transmission as MIPS CPUs work different with memory and IO handling, plus the MIPS kernel does not have the atomic bug, still the speed was limited by me (similar as outlined above) to avoid that Torrents eat up to much of my bandwidth! :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!