What's new

Memory on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine also says production year 2021, but mine gets to 87c
Some of the temp issues have to do with what version of firmware you are using, and whether cpu wait is on or off, whether the firmware is throttling your cpu proactively or not. See this post and thread.

How is yours running so cool?
Yours runs about 10 degrees cooler than mine. My house temp hovers around 74-76 F
Honestly I think it is just luck of the draw. From what I gather from @Tech9 the design of the passive cooling is not very good but maybe my unit was built on a day when they had good thermal pads (!?).

Here's my power settings:
Code:
> pwr show
Power Management Configuration
Functional Block           Status
CPU Wait                   ENABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down   ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet  DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode     ENABLED (status:Deactivated)

I have heard energy efficient ethernet can help if you have a lot plugged in, but I just have one device (desktop) plus the cable modem WAN.

Last edited:
Honestly I think it is just luck of the draw. From what I gather from @Tech9 the design of the passive cooling is not very good but maybe my unit was built on a day when they had good thermal pads (!?).

Quality control issues. @ArchDevil reported here his unit had no pads at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdc
Quality control issues. @ArchDevil reported here his unit had no pads at all.
Hah! Let me amend that then, mine must have been built on a day when they had good thermal pads :D

The temps on my unit do seem to be slowly climbing, do the pads dry out over time? Maybe time to look into that fan kit (sigh)

do the pads dry out over time?

It depends, some are designed to dry and harden. Others, like gap fillers, have to stay flexible. Good quality ones last for many years. The ones used in AC86U leak thermal transfer agent, the silicone material. It leaks out of the pad and makes large oily stains around. This worsens thermal transfer properties over time. Some of the routers I played with had 5cm diameter oil stain on the heatsink.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!