What's new

Memory requirements for mesh router setup (ASUS ZenWifi AC)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d_kisker

New Around Here
We just installed a new Asus ZenWiFi AC (CT8) mesh system. It seems to be working pretty well, but I have a couple of concerns.

First, is this unit discontinued? It doesn't seem to be widely deployed even though it got at least one very strong review and seems to have most of the needed features. (Yes, I know from reading this forum that some don't like the Asus mesh router)

Second, and more importantly, I'm concerned that the memory is inadequate and that I should perhaps return it while that window is open and get the XT8 version instead. The memory usage is running right at 85-90% right out of the box. It has 256Mb instead of 512Mb like the XT8 has. I have about 40 devices usually connected, many of which are IoT types of sensors etc. But it's not obvious to me what is requiring the memory.. as a test, I've disconnected many of the devices and don't see an enormous drop in memory disputing.

The obvious choice would be to upgrade to the XT8 version now, rather than wait for the memory to cause a real bottleneck. Or maybe, it's not actually a problem?

challenge with AiMesh disconnect is from the beginning and Asus have issue to fix it - as you can find on this forum a lot people just schedule reboot to fix it.

For your system upgrade I would go with one good router as main one like AX86U (it have 1GB of RAM for example) and connect your Asus ZenWiFi AC as nodes. In the future as needed you can change nodes for AX. I know that ZenWiFI looks cool :) but those can be used for nodes. You need to have "strong", reliable main router to be happy. It is important than main router have RMerlin support.

Even Asus is showing on picture different routers connected as AiMesh https://www.asus.com/microsite/AiMesh/en/index.html
The biggest mistake people are doing are buying the same routers for main and nodes. Nodes do not required extra RAM etc. Main router is master (should be much stronger) and all nodes are slaves.
Additional very often because in the past people were using poor quality, cheap routers think they need AiMesh. Maybe good router like AX86U will be OK to be used alone? I have few locations that AX86U is used as single router and those hoses are about 200m2 (2150ft2)

My advice but good router like AAX86U test wi-fi and add as many ZenWiFi AC nodes as needed :)
AX86U https://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-in-the-charts-asus-rt-ax86u.73072/

Last edited: