What's new

Merlin 386.1 AC88U Port-forwarding issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KinnyOne

New Around Here
Hi all,

Really need some help/advice. I have an AC88U and have just upgraded to latest Merlin 386.1, been trying to set up port forwarding and no matter what I try every test I've done via https://canyouseeme.org/ results in a "connection timed out" error. In the Merlin web interface I've got everything setup correctly. I've even factory reset once to setup the router again thinking it might have been a dirty flash issue. The port I'm forwarding to is my Win10 desktop and I've looked through all the firewall settings which seems fine (no expert here), so I'm at a loss what else to try. So any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Hi all,

Really need some help/advice. I have an AC88U and have just upgraded to latest Merlin 386.1, been trying to set up port forwarding and no matter what I try every test I've done via https://canyouseeme.org/ results in a "connection timed out" error. In the Merlin web interface I've got everything setup correctly. I've even factory reset once to setup the router again thinking it might have been a dirty flash issue. The port I'm forwarding to is my Win10 desktop and I've looked through all the firewall settings which seems fine (no expert here), so I'm at a loss what else to try. So any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Fullcone nat is the answer but i dont know if your model supports it.

Hi all,

Many thanks!
Are you sure your Windows firewall isn't blocking the connection? Try putting your desktop in the DMZ to check.

The port I'm forwarding to is my Win10 desktop and I've looked through all the firewall settings which seems fine (no expert here)...
Are you sure your Windows firewall isn't blocking the connection? Try putting your desktop in the DMZ to check.
If it's an issue with the Windows Firewall you need to temporarily disable it when running the test. Putting the PC in the DMZ won't solve a Windows Firewall issue. And of course you need to have a service actively listening on the port when you test.

Either your ISP or your computer is blocking that port.

Either your ISP or your computer is blocking that port.
That's one of the first things I checked was what ports we're blocked by ISP.

If it's an issue with the Windows Firewall you need to temporarily disable it when running the test. Putting the PC in the DMZ won't solve a Windows Firewall issue. And of course you need to have a service actively listening on the port when you test.

Oh god I feel so dumb...just booted the service to listen for it and it's working.

I'm so sorry for wasting people's time. :( But really appreciate the help!

I setup 2 rules and I found it on works on the first one on my ac88, so I deleted the first one and the 2nd started one started working. I am thinking it only supports 1 rule.

Its annoying

Win 10 firewall is a non issue on my setup

I setup 2 rules and I found it on works on the first one on my ac88, so I deleted the first one and the 2nd started one started working. I am thinking it only supports 1 rule.

Its annoying
If both rules have the same matching criteria (i.e. same source port), then yes, the first one hit will be the one redirecting traffic. It's just logical, a firewall cannot redirect one packet to two different destination ports, a packet can only go to one single destination.

@RMerlin 2 different ports each going to different hosts.

Its annoying

How is this relevant to this thread? Yeah, both involve port forwarding, but under completely different circumstances. It should be its own thread. If only for YOUR benefit! Many ppl are not even looking at this thread anymore once the OP has solved his problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!