What's new

Merlin 386.5.2 bug: OpenVPN Server does not start after router restart (scheduled restart, explicit restart, or power reset)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FYI everyone this bug still exists.. It looks to be several years old, and happens on many different ASUS Merlin versions and devices.

The way to reproduce is always the same:

- router shuts down due to electricity outage (happens often in my area), OR the router is rebooted via the scheduled reboot (bug below happens in either case)
- router reboots
- router usually has the correct time from NTP, but not always (bug below happens in either case)
- cannot connect to VPN from client
- in the Merlin UI, (under VPN settings, Export OpenVPN configuration file) it says: Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection.
- this message never goes away and it looks stuck
- the solution is to turn the VPN off, save changes, then turn VPN on again
- now client can connect to VPN

Unfortunately this bug means every time the electricity goes out I have to manually log into the firmware, turn off the VPN, turn it on again.

FYI everyone this bug still exists.. It looks to be several years old, and happens on many different ASUS Merlin versions and devices.

The way to reproduce is always the same:

- router shuts down due to electricity outage (happens often in my area), OR the router is rebooted via the scheduled reboot (bug below happens in either case)
- router reboots
- router usually has the correct time from NTP, but not always (bug below happens in either case)
- cannot connect to VPN from client
- in the Merlin UI, (under VPN settings, Export OpenVPN configuration file) it says: Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection.
- this message never goes away and it looks stuck
- the solution is to turn the VPN off, save changes, then turn VPN on again
- now client can connect to VPN

Unfortunately this bug means every time the electricity goes out I have to manually log into the firmware, turn off the VPN, turn it on again.
Why don't you create a script that will stop/start the VPN server after your router reboots as suggested in this thread... Here's another recent thread about something similar:

Good afternoon everyone, has any solution been found to this since the thread was left aside?

I have the same problem, I can reproduce it by disconnecting the WAN cable from my ASUS router (AX88U) for a minute and reconnecting it. After the WAN connection drops and is reconnected, the VPN server remains in ON state in the interface, but it does not accept new connections until I turn it off and on again manually. It's not a big concern since a power outage or WAN disconnection is very rare, but this time it happened to me that while cleaning my devices of dust, I accidentally turned off the ONT and my VPN server stopped working.

Welcome to the forums @BorjaAday.

See the scripts that the awesome @Viktor Jaep has so generously created, provides, and supports for our community.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!