What's new

Merlin firmware for the new RT-AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin,
In case if you counting users vote would like to add +1 on RT-AX86U support please.
Thanks.

I doubt that RMerlin will be "pressured" by votes - nor should he be. He has a full day job and just builds these magical firmware sets as a hobby.
To understand the heavy lifting that has to take place in the background - just consider these genuine stats lifted off Github ...
Code:
Prepare platform for 386 merge; merge 386_39179 + binary blobs
This commit does not belong to any branch on this repository. @RMerl
RMerl committed 7 days ago
Showing 3,205 changed files with 653,790 additions and 201,830 deletions.
The diff you're trying to view is too large. We only load the first 3000 changed files.

I too would like to upgrade my router - but would never buy a model not already supported by RMerlin.

I doubt that RMerlin will be "pressured" by votes - nor should he be. He has a full day job and just builds these magical firmware sets as a hobby.
To understand the heavy lifting that has to take place in the background - just consider these genuine stats lifted off Github ...
Code:
Prepare platform for 386 merge; merge 386_39179 + binary blobs
This commit does not belong to any branch on this repository. @RMerl
RMerl committed 7 days ago
Showing 3,205 changed files with 653,790 additions and 201,830 deletions.
The diff you're trying to view is too large. We only load the first 3000 changed files.

I too would like to upgrade my router - but would never buy a model not already supported by RMerlin.
I did - big mistake! The RT-AX86U I received gave me trouble from the start - no traffic data, which ASUS to their credit did fix with a firmware update a few days after I contacted them about it. Then, I noticed the system log being flooded with thousands of meaningless entries every hour, but the deal breaker for me was the fact that my Internet connection speeds to all my Windows 10 devices plummeted by as much as 80% as soon as I switched on anything to do with Trend Micro. I'm very glad to once again be back in the Merlin camp with my new RT-AX88U, which is working really well (I've left AiProtection off and I am using Skynet instead, so the Trend stuff is only for the QoS and traffic data). I now have a nice stable Internet connection...
Screenshot - 04_09_2020 , 14_29_36.jpg

Well I've decided to throw in the towel with the RT-AX86U and have just reconnected my RT-AC68U. Ongoing issue with the RT-AX86U due to the functionality missing without Merlin firmware and finally decided at this point in time for me the gains simply aren't worth the losses.

Tough little bugger the RT-AC68U...this is the second time I've tried to replace it after purchasing an RT-AC86U last year. The old guy just won't stay down!

Will monitor whether Merlin support arrives for the RT-AX86U, if so may well repurchase.

I doubt that RMerlin will be "pressured" by votes - nor should he be.
Despite the fact I'm returning my RT-AX86U, I hardly think that somebody expressing an interest for firmware that RMerlin has stated may arrive in the future but is as yet tbd on a thread about exactly that constitutes attempting to apply "pressure".

In fact if anything I would have thought it beneficial to understand the level of interest and the number of people making the jump, not just for RMerlin but also for other users.

@PhiL_P, RMerlin has effectively stated many times that the level of interest has nothing to do with his level of spare time. In fact, he has effectively put all 384.xx development on hold because of the time needed to sort out the randomly issued GPL mess he's dealing with for the last few months/years. With various routers at various firmware stages/branches and each needing input to fix the same things in diverse ways because of the differing branches.

He is now concentrating on the 386.xx code base and depending on what Asus can accomplish with that, further changes may be made on what models are supported or not. But again, according to how much time (work), it would be to have those models supported into the future.

The level of interest has nothing to do with his criteria for including a new model, as you can now see.

@L&LD I didn't say I believed it would influence his decision, that doesn't make it not of interest...I for one would be interested in seeing how many people are moving to the AX86 from Merlin supported routers..

Last edited:
After 4 years i switch my AC88U (merlin Firmware) for an AX86.
More wifi devices (AC / AX) and no need 8 LAN so i chose the ASUS AX86 (and .... merlin firmware)
Put the AX86 behind my AC88,(replace isp router) because i need the 60 DHCP option for my ISP 1Gb /500 plan.
The AX86 is a beast, powerful, strong wifi signal, very good router!

Question : What is the best configuration for my AC88 (merlin firmware) to use only internet connection (radio off, ...)? My Nas is connected to the AX86 and all my wifi devices are connected to the AX.

IMG_1924.jpg

like lot of people i hope (I cross fingers) a merlin firmware for the AX86

@L&LD I didn't say I believed it would influence his decision, that doesn't make it not of interest...I for one would be interested in seeing how many people are moving to the AX86 from Merlin supported routers..

If you're really interested, you can make a poll in a new thread. :)

Hello,

I have been using Merlin based AC86U for few years and has been good over all. I only use it as wired (to my Netgear Orbi as AP for wireless needs, NAS, and few streaming devices). Since I have Orbi in AP it handles my wireless needs (very good at that) and primary use of Merlin is for performance and DNS filter feature to keep my kids away from certain sites. Given that and I am getting some random shutdowns with my AC86 I was looking at AX86 but since there is no merlin support for now I am looking at AX88 now. Question is, with increased RAM, CPU will I see any difference between AC86U (not AX86U) and the AX88U over as far handling load and wired performance?

Thanks
Baba

I need a router upgrade from a Netgear (BestBuy AC2400 i.e. R6800) because the 5 GHz signal is weak at my WFH room in the house. Trying to decide between the AC86U and the AX86U. My work laptop, along with 99% of all my WiFi clients are WiFi 5. DongKnows.com has the AX86U with Wifi 5 clients doing 868 Mbps at 10 feet and 668 Mbps at 40 feet. He got the AC86U doing 838 Mbps at 10 feet but *802* Mbps at 40 feet.

Any reason to believe the AC86U has better coverage/range for Wifi 5 clients at longer distance/through walls?

My house is 1550 sf with a 200 Mbps connection. I do not have any NAS or between device/computer traffic within the home network, but it is common to have 3-4 Zoom/Skype meetings at the same time with a Netflix stream. I believe a strong stable signal with good coverage is more important than absolute throughput for my case.

I need a router upgrade from a Netgear (BestBuy AC2400 i.e. R6800) because the 5 GHz signal is weak at my WFH room in the house. Trying to decide between the AC86U and the AX86U. My work laptop, along with 99% of all my WiFi clients are WiFi 5. DongKnows.com has the AX86U with Wifi 5 clients doing 868 Mbps at 10 feet and 668 Mbps at 40 feet. He got the AC86U doing 838 Mbps at 10 feet but *802* Mbps at 40 feet.

Any reason to believe the AC86U has better coverage/range for Wifi 5 clients at longer distance/through walls?

My house is 1550 sf with a 200 Mbps connection. I do not have any NAS or between device/computer traffic within the home network, but it is common to have 3-4 Zoom/Skype meetings at the same time with a Netflix stream. I believe a strong stable signal with good coverage is more important than absolute throughput for my case.
Probably one for the more general threads in the AX forum. Mine has been pretty much bulletproof so far, but most office use is in a room directly above the router with great signal.
Currently 2 floors above the router in bed with a laptop and that's connecting at around 600Mb/s with a nice stable connection.

Doesn't mean Asus will enable it though?

I like Ferrari red on a nice car, but that just looks wrong on a router.

I got a red AX86U. I saw Boardcom's web page said that its chipset will supports wifi 6E so it's just a matter of updating its firmware.

It's not likely that 6e will be turned on via firmware. I believe the router would have to be recertified for a new band. That's expensive and i doubt Asus would bother with it.

No, it's not. It requires the filters and amps to also support that frequency, it's not just related to the radio.
BCM
It's not likely that 6e will be turned on via firmware. I believe the router would have to be recertified for a new band. That's expensive and i doubt Asus would bother with it.

191503qjwfqdj1h7t63txd.jpg

BCM6710 is not the central processor. It's the A/D(analog to digital), D/A(digital to analog), and PA/LNA(low noise/power amp) included in it. From the AX86U board photo, you can see the BCM6710 is located next to antenna with SKY85743--an 5GHz power amp chips in between. So, if Boardcom said BCM6710 is 6GHz capable, it's still unlikely that AX86U is firmware ungradable to wifi 6E.

Attachments

• 1600668654941.jpeg
    1600668654941.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 1600668666790.jpeg
    1600668666790.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
BCM6710 is not the central processor. It's the A/D(analog to digital), D/A(digital to analog), and PA/LNA(low noise/power amp) included in it. From the AX86U board photo, you can see the BCM6710 is located next to antenna with SKY85743--an 5GHz power amp chips in between. So, if Boardcom said BCM6710 is 6GHz capable, it's still unlikely that AX86U is firmware ungradable to wifi 6E.
Somebody with radio frequency chops needs to stumble in and explain how frequencies and filtering and antennae work so we all finally "get it"
I've picked up a bit from an over-the-air HDTV antenna design/build/tweak forum, so I know I'm nowhere near qualified to offer a definitive explanation, especially as it relates to the analog-digital conversions
BUT
any length of wire will resonate at a frequency and to a lesser extent at some of the harmonics of that frequency; the trick is to tune the antenna so that it will resonate at the frequencies in question easily and with as little self-destructive interference to other frequencies in the band you're trying to receive - so the tuner can latch on to the signal easily. put that at both ends of the equation, Tuner/receiver and transmitter and it gets a bit more complex - because the transmitter also has to be true to the input and not add any schmutz to the signal going out, for range and efficiency and and and.
This stuff isn't firmware stuff, unless it's been designed into the antenna etc from the start. I mean, who's still using their wrt-54g for anything other than a low priority access point...if it's even still alive?
Hope this helps (and that i didn't muddy any waters or mis-speak too badly)

The antenna is a passive part in routers. It is a compromise between two different bands but does do well with both. I often wonder if they made a 5GHz router only and optimized the antenna for that part of the band how much better would it be.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!