What's new

Merlin firmware for the new RT-AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wondering now if I should get this device or the AX88U. I have a lot of wifi devices connected in my home and currently have the RT3200 which freezes up sometimes not allowing me to connect. Which would be the more sensible upgrade the AX88U or the AX86U because its newer?

I would (and will probably do so in the near future for my own network with an RT-AX88U main and an RT-AX58U AiMesh node) get the RT-AX86U and use that as the main router and use the RT-AX88U as the AiMesh node. :)

I would (and will probably do so in the near future for my own network with an RT-AX88U main and an RT-AX58U AiMesh node) get the RT-AX86U and use that as the main router and use the RT-AX88U as the AiMesh node. :)

Interesting, sounds like I need to cancel my order for this AX88U and get the AX86U instead.

I would! This post (below) is the reason why.

And to put a finer point on it; specifically, because it is now RMerlin supported. :)

I would! This post (below) is the reason why.

And to put a finer point on it; specifically, because it is now RMerlin supported. :)

Reason I went with the 88u was because I saw reviews saying it had better range.

Running 2 AX88U here Aimesh, locally computer store ( Canada computers) had them on for $229. They do have good range. I see now the AX86U is $330

@New2This, that is a great, great price for the RT-AX88U!

@biglo, which reviews were those? They specifically tested the range between RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U?

With one of each, I think you would have the flexibility to place them optimally as needed. :)

Running 2 AX88U here Aimesh, locally computer store ( Canada computers) had them on for $229. They do have good range. I see now the AX86U is $330

Well other than the 2.5G port I think I can safely stick with the 88u.

@New2This, that is a great, great price for the RT-AX88U!

@biglo, which reviews were those? They specifically tested the range between RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U?

With one of each, I think you would have the flexibility to place them optimally as needed. :)

Just some reviews I saw on youtube and I saw mention that the 2.4Ghz has less power as well. My place is 1330sq so I just want maximum coverage and horsepower since I have a lot of wireless devices all over and also ran some cables so I have hardwire exactly where I need them. I'm tired of having to reboot my currently device because the wifi doesn't want to let me connect.

My only fear is the support being dropped for the AX88u long before it does for the AX86u. Despite having similar specs.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a AX88U and it has cost £184 UK Pounds, much cheaper than the AX86U. Then again very few seem to stock the AX86U, perhaps I would have considered that if it had been in stock at the time of purchase, then again the price for the AX88U was going to be too hard to resist.
The 8 LAN ports are nice and the wireless range on both channels seems good.
Very pleased overall with the router and it has been very stable running 384.19.
A good replacement for the faulty AC86U

Just a pity that the QOS makes the download speed be the upload one when using the VPN client. Apparently that seems "normal" for how it works when using a VPN client.

Last edited:
Why is it that the AX88u is still $50-100 more? Is the popularity related to it being compatible with merlin?
It has 4 more ethernet ports and an extra exterior antenna although the AX86U has a 2.5G port. It will actually depends on your needs. As somebody has posted the 2.4 wireless range of 86u is not as strong as the 88U.

Great news about the AX86U support and good timing with Black Friday/Cyber Monday in less than 3 weeks to buy one :D

It has 4 more ethernet ports and an extra exterior antenna although the AX86U has a 2.5G port. It will actually depends on your needs. As somebody has posted the 2.4 wireless range of 86u is not as strong as the 88U.
According to Dong, AX86U speedtest is slightly better than AX88U. I'm not sure about their range though.
20201111_070848.png

Last edited:
PSA - I just scored an RT-AX86U for $49.99 on Amazon! They went quickly, but I’d continue to keep an eye on there for future sales. My AC86U has served me well, but I couldn’t pass up a deal like that. Now to sit back and patiently wait for rmerlin support. :p

PSA - I just scored an RT-AX86U for $49.99 on Amazon! They went quickly, but I’d continue to keep an eye on there for future sales. My AC86U has served me well, but I couldn’t pass up a deal like that. Now to sit back and patiently wait for rmerlin support. :p

As did I so excited!!!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!