What's new

Merlin OpenVPN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dee-med

New Around Here
Hi,
Please excuse my ignorance I'm very much a beginner and trying to learn.
I've recently bought an Asus RT-AC3200 router and flashed the latest Merlin firmware to it.
When setting up OpenVPN I only have 2 clients, 1 & 2.
Does this mean that I can only pre-configure 2 different countries? I often need to swap my VPN location and ideally would like to have them saved in advance.
Once again sorry if I'm missing the obvious and thanks for any help.
Merry Christmas to all
Dee

I've recently bought an Asus RT-AC3200 router and flashed the latest Merlin firmware to it.
When setting up OpenVPN I only have 2 clients, 1 & 2.
Does this mean that I can only pre-configure 2 different countries? e

As per the Firmware 'Changelog.txt' the RT-AC3200 unfortunately does not support the 5 VPN Clients available on other ARM routers:
Code:
380.67 (16-July-2017)

- CHANGED: Limited number of supported OpenVPN clients to 2 on
             the RT-AC3200, to save on nvram.

It is possible to write a script to save more than the two available VPN Client configs in /jffs/ or /mnt/xxxx, and simply import the appropriate VPN config into either of the two standard VPN slots before starting the connection.

Thanks for your reply.
In the original Asus firmware I was able to save more than 2 configurations. Any idea why?
I'll need to do a bit now reading up before I'm writing any scripts. Lol

Oh, I just read in the changelog the part about saving on nvram. I guess that's the reason.

Thanks for your reply.
In the original Asus firmware I was able to save more than 2 configurations. Any idea why?
I'll need to do a bit now reading up before I'm writing any scripts. Lol

Oh, I just read in the changelog the part about saving on nvram. I guess that's the reason.

Here is the thread:
Low NVRAM.. despite factory defaulting etc

Interesting reading. Although I don't think I'll be running any commands just yet.
I can make do with the 2 clients for now. No big deal really.
Thank you for your help and the link.
Happy holidays!!

It is possible to write a script to save more than the two available VPN Client configs in /jffs/ or /mnt/xxxx, and simply import the appropriate VPN config into either of the two standard VPN slots before starting the connection.

Or wait for the move to 382, as it increases the router's nvram to 128 KB. That will allow me to revert the client limitation back to 5 clients.

Don't expect the RT-AC3200 to be moved for at least 1 or 2 months however.