What's new

Merlin Repeater missing settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yesgeek

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys I was wondering if there was any way to add all of the options or at least some of them that are available in router mode. I’m connecting to a public network and using my Router as a repeater to provide some security To my network I would like to be able to configure my VPN on the router.

add OpenVPN to configure My VPN. I have a travel router with wwrt and it has this feature and my Asus router is much more powerful so I don’t see why it’s not available.

Turn off 2.4 radio. I’m thinking maybe I can switch to router settings turn it off and then switch back to repeater settings. There are also a whole list of options that are removed in repeater mode.

No. A repeater doesn't do any routing, therefore it cannot handle VPNs.

Instead of using the repeater mode double NAT your router behind the public network then your router will have all the security features you need. Despite what some people say the double NAT will not impact your speeds other than the speed hit the encryption of the VPN creates.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 172
The VPN only dulls the view of what servers you connect to, not what you have connected. :)

That is what a Firewall is for (i.e. Router mode).

That’s strange because I have a small glinet Router that I think comes with a version of wwrt and it has that feature.
That's because the GL.iNet is a router not a repeater. You asked about a repeater.

The GL.iNet is a router that has a wireless WAN interface. That is different from a repeater. Asuswrt/Merlin routers do not have wireless WAN support.

P.S. There's no such thing as wwrt, I think you mean OpenWrt.

No. A repeater doesn't do any routing, therefore it cannot handle VPNs.

I have a gli router with OpenWrt and it has the option to add a VPN. From my little understanding of networks. The public network can only see my router as a single client and all the traffic from that client is routed threw my vpn. This is something I already had in place but I purchased an Asus router because it had more processing power and could reach longer distances.

That's because the GL.iNet is a router not a repeater. You asked about a repeater.

The GL.iNet is a router that has a wireless WAN interface. That is different from a repeater. Asuswrt/Merlin routers do not have wireless WAN support.

P.S. There's no such thing as wwrt, I think you mean OpenWrt.

Yes I’m sorry I meant OpenWrt. They are both routers that can be used as repeaters. That’s the only way I know how to repeat the signal coming from the public wifi network.

You are confusing a repeater with a router that has a wireless WAN connection. They are different things.

The bottom line is that Asuswrt/Merlin does not support that mode of operation.

My Problem: I want to extend a public network behind my router to hide all my devices behind one router

My Current setup: I have an Asus 88u router in repeater mode that connects wirelessly to a public network that I don’t have access to the router. Then I have a glinet router connected to my repeater in repeater mode With a VPN installed On the router. Any client connected to my GLI is behind the vpn.

I would like to install the VPN on my Asus 88u router so that I don’t need to use the addition gli router.

Instead of using the repeater mode double NAT your router behind the public network then your router will have all the security features you need. Despite what some people say the double NAT will not impact your speeds other than the speed hit the encryption of the VPN creates.

Is it possible to do this without Physical access to the public router?

The VPN only dulls the view of what servers you connect to, not what you have connected. :)

That is what a Firewall is for (i.e. Router mode).

Is there a way to repeat the signal in router mode if I cannot connect with a LAN cable to the main router?

Is there a way to repeat the signal in router mode if I cannot connect with a LAN cable to the main router?

No. See post 5.

My Problem: I want to extend a public network behind my router to hide all my devices behind one router

My Current setup: I have an Asus 88u router in repeater mode that connects wirelessly to a public network that I don’t have access to the router. Then I have a glinet router connected to my repeater in repeater mode With a VPN installed On the router. Any client connected to my GLI is behind the vpn.

I would like to install the VPN on my Asus 88u router so that I don’t need to use the addition gli router.

You already have it set up as best as possible. The only thing you may want to do is reverse the routers, to be able to use the features of the RT-AC88U for your network devices more fully.

You already have it set up as best as possible. The only thing you may want to do is reverse the routers, to be able to use the features of the RT-AC88U for your network devices more fully.

The problem is the range of the gLinet router is not very good. I just don’t understand why my Asus router which is way more expensive and powerful has less features then my tiny glinet travel router.

What GL.iNet calls a "Repeater" connection is not what other manufacturers would call a Repeater. In fact GLi.Net says: "It works in WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) mode by default, which means that the router will create its own subnet and act as a firewall to protect you from the public network."

Like I keep saying, Asuswrt/Merlin does not support that type of internet connection.

By the way @RMerlin thanks for all the effort you put into the Merlin project I have been using Merlin in all my routers for a while and have never had an issue.

What GL.iNet calls a "Repeater" connection is not what other manufacturers would call a Repeater. In fact GLi.Net says: "It works in WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) mode by default, which means that the router will create its own subnet and act as a firewall to protect you from the public network."

Like I keep saying, Asuswrt/Merlin does not support that type of internet connection.

Got it. Thanks for the help