What's new

Merlin v 384.7_2 Wildcard in OpenVPN client setting not working - bug?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Panjerossi

New Around Here
After updating to version 384.7_2 on my RT-AC86U, there seems to be an issue with the OpenVPN routing (redirect internet traffic) setting.

NOT working:

- setting 0.0.0.0 or leave empty as wildcard for local network (source) when using policy-based routing
- selecting ALL as property for the redirect internet traffic setting

Everything is just routed through WAN and nothing through VPN.

WORKING:

- setting 192.168.x.0/24 as wildcard for local network with 0.0.0.0 as destination.

So for destination, the 0.0.0.0 wildcard seems fine.

The workaround in using the /24 approach on local subnet is fine for me. But this might be a bug that needs solving.

Works for me. I just set a source as 0.0.0.0 and a destination as a subnet, and all traffic sent to that destination subnet is routed through the VPN, while the rest of the traffic isn't.

Thanks for checking.
I've tried again from scratch. Findings attached in PDF. Bottom line: it only seems not to work when 0.0.0.0 is in source AND destination. As specifying an address/subnet in destination OR in source seems fine.

Attachments

• AC86_VPN.pdf
    174.1 KB · Views: 193
Setting both source and destination as 0.0.0.0 is not a typical case, and I can see it possibly not working. You need to explicitly define either the source or the destination.

Thanks for checking.
I've tried again from scratch. Findings attached in PDF. Bottom line: it only seems not to work when 0.0.0.0 is in source AND destination. As specifying an address/subnet in destination OR in source seems fine.

Hmmm, the following appears to be valid syntax :confused:
Code:
ip rule add table xxx

ip rule add from 0/0 table xxx

ip rule add from 0.0.0.0 to 0.0.0.0 table xxx

so not sure if /usr/sbin/vpnrouting.sh is handling the request correctly....

NO....seemingly by design it doesn't by rejecting it :eek:
Code:
        if [ "$VPN_IP" != "0.0.0.0" ]
        then
            SRCC="from"
            SRCA="$VPN_IP"
        else
            SRCC=""
            SRCA=""
        fi
        DST_IP=$(echo $ENTRY | cut -d ">" -f 3)
        if [ "$DST_IP" != "0.0.0.0" ]
        then
            DSTC="to"
            DSTA="$DST_IP"
        else
            DSTC=""
            DSTA=""
        fi
        if [ "$SRCC" != "" -o "$DSTC" != "" ]        <<=====  Explicitly prevents 'ip rule add table xxx priority nnnnn'  command !!!!
        then
            ip rule add $SRCC $SRCA $DSTC $DSTA table $TARGET_LOOKUP priority $RULE_PRIO
            my_logger "Adding route for $VPN_IP to $DST_IP through $TARGET_NAME"
        fi

so forces the user to explicitly specify the source LAN subnet in CIDR format if they want to selectively route 'Everything to Anywhere' via the VPN!

Last edited:
I can't remember the reason why, been too long since I've written the original script...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!